Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,745 times

Advertisements

Okay, let's turn your hypothetical around.

If a single dad dates a woman without kids, is it her moral obligation to help him out financially? If your answer is "no," then the same should apply if the situation were reversed.

Personally? Absolutely not. He has no obligation to her children.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beiyang View Post
I'd like everyone's opinion, but mainly this question is for any single women with kids, and single men who might date women who have kids.

Here's my feeling on it. Call me old fashioned, but if a man makes the decision to exclusively date a woman who has 1 or more children, he has a moral OBLIGATION to help provide for her and her children.
She is making a sacrifice in giving him attention while she's already busy with her kids, so, him helping her with her expenses is the LEAST he can do. I feel he OWES it to her, if he is going to make good relationship material for her. YOU make relationship material, not your wallet paying her bills.

Thanks in advance for your feelings and thoughts on this!
I think it's great that you want to help her financially but to feel it is your "moral OBLIGATION" then, imo, you are wrong. What happens when she starts to take advantage of your generosity? If the father is not around to provide support and you want to help her when she's in a bind, that's one thing but if she is perfectly fine financially AND there's a father around to pay support, then I suggest you do not pay her bills. If you feel you want to splurge then maybe do a special night out or take her and her kids somewhere as a treat but DO NOT PAY HER BILLS.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,569 times
Nope. Now, if it was a date down the road and I invited her and her kid to eat then I'll pay for both meals of course. That's about it.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
I'd like everyone's opinion, but mainly this question is for any single women with kids, and single men who might date women who have kids.

Here's my feeling on it. Call me old fashioned, but if a man makes the decision to exclusively date a woman who has 1 or more children, he has a moral OBLIGATION to help provide for her and her children.
She is making a sacrifice in giving him attention while she's already busy with her kids, so, him helping her with her expenses is the LEAST he can do. I feel he OWES it to her, if he is going to make good relationship material for her.

Which is why I would never date a women with kids.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:45 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:

She is making a sacrifice in giving him attention while she's already busy with her kids, so, him helping her with her expenses is the LEAST he can do. I feel he OWES it to her, if he is going to make good relationship material for her.

Absolutely not. The guy don't owe the mother anything and supporting the family is squarely the girl's and the father of the kids' responsibility.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,716 times
If I had a SO with a kid, um...I'd pay for outings like dinner and lunch, groceries and stuff on occasion but by no means will it become a habit. I get the "2 for 1" thing, but at the end of the day, it's not my kid, and if the father is being financially supportive, even better. There's no "moral obligation. She had a kid with another man, that man is no longer in the picture, now she has to raise a child. That's her, not me. I'd pinch in every now and then, but that's it.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
i agree, which is one reason why i don't date moms.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM

461 posts, read 922,772 times
Oh my god no. I don't even know how to respond beyond that. You make the women sound like a martyr and the guy like her animal to obey as she states. WTF.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Simple answer: No. He may offer to help pay for a sitter when they go out, but that's as far as he should go. If they are living together, some assistance will no doubt occur just incidentally, but presumably she is receiving child support so you should not be providing direct support.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Bahahaha. No. A man is not obligated to help support the kids of a person he is dating - nor should he feel any obligation to.

Now, if the dating goes into longterm (moving in together, marriage, etc), then there should be a proper discussion what is to be "expected" from the non-parental unit towards the child(ren).

But casual dating? lolNo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships