Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a sugar daddy relationship to me.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
No. In a big way.

Solution: if he is a single man w/o kids, why doesn't he find a girlfriend w/o kids?

Nowadays, easier said than done.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:33 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beiyang View Post
I'd like everyone's opinion, but mainly this question is for any single women with kids, and single men who might date women who have kids.

Here's my feeling on it. Call me old fashioned, but if a man makes the decision to exclusively date a woman who has 1 or more children, he has a moral OBLIGATION to help provide for her and her children.
She is making a sacrifice in giving him attention while she's already busy with her kids, so, him helping her with her expenses is the LEAST he can do. I feel he OWES it to her, if he is going to make good relationship material for her.

Thanks in advance for your feelings and thoughts on this!
That is far from the truth. The FATHER should be taking care of his kids. As a mother of 2 kids that is dating, I don't even attempt to think or want a man that I'm dating to be a provider. It's not his responsibility. He is not even responsible to take care of me. Now, if he physically WANTS to help, that's different.

If they get married that MAY turn into a different issue. But it is still a option and not a requirement. As a married couple, you are now a family unit and should take care of the family but that doesn't replace that the father is suppose to take care of the children.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
I'd like everyone's opinion, but mainly this question is for any single women with kids, and single men who might date women who have kids.

Here's my feeling on it. Call me old fashioned, but if a man makes the decision to exclusively date a woman who has 1 or more children, he has a moral OBLIGATION to help provide for her and her children.
She is making a sacrifice in giving him attention while she's already busy with her kids, so, him helping her with her expenses is the LEAST he can do. I feel he OWES it to her, if he is going to make good relationship material for her.

If they are just casually dating then I don't think he's responsible. If it's a serious or long term relationship: Eating at the house? Sleeping at the house? Using utilities? Yes. He needs to be contributing to the household, since he's partly draining the expenses.

Mod cut: gender bashing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-06-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
People are jumping on the OP but there are plenty of women in the world who thinks the kids come along with the woman. Yes even when dating.

The thing is people take dating way too serious. When dating there's no commitment no matter how "exclusive" people want to make it. Until there's a ring there's nothing implied. So her or his kids are the parents responsibility. Ask this. If the guy she is dating (no kids) doesn't have his car payment and she does, should she make the payment for him?

The only person in a relationship who has rights is a spouse. A boy friend or girlfriend has no rights to demand anything. If people want rights put a ring on the finger. Yes it's that simple.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:40 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
People are jumping on the OP but there are plenty of women in the world who thinks the kids come along with the woman. Yes even when dating.

The thing is people take dating way too serious. When dating there's no commitment no matter how "exclusive" people want to make it. Until there's a ring there's nothing implied. So her or his kids are the parents responsibility. Ask this. If the guy she is dating (no kids) doesn't have his car payment and she does, should she make the payment for him?

The only person in a relationship who has rights is a spouse. A boy friend or girlfriend has no rights to demand anything. If people want rights put a ring on the finger. Yes it's that simple.
Yup, she can at least offer half. If they are dating exclusively or in a LTR they should be helping EACH OTHER. That doesn't mean playing sugar daddy/mommy for the person's bills. Until there's a ring? Some people don't want to get married, so I guess their 5 or 6 relationship is never 'serious' then since there's no ring?

Edit: I read too fast and missed the part where he has no kids, then that's different IMO. I thought you meant he's a single dad. If not, then I would think he would have the money for his insurance.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
If the single mother wants the guy she's dating to be basically be "Dad" then she needs to have that conversation with him. The moral obligation to provide for children is on the mother and father, not the mother and the guy she's dating.

Back in my online dating days I once had a single mom ask me "Are you ready to be a daddy?" I was pretty taken aback by the question since I hadn't even met her. I appreciated her honesty, but I felt like there aren't many people who are ready to say yes on the spot to being a parent.

In the end it all comes down to communication. The single parent shouldn't just expect his/her SO to provide for the child.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
Back in my online dating days I once had a single mom ask me "Are you ready to be a daddy?" I was pretty taken aback by the question since I hadn't even met her. I appreciated her honesty, but I felt like there aren't many people who are ready to say yes on the spot to being a parent.
Wow! That's kinda jumping the gun, yes? How did you respond?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Wow! That's kinda jumping the gun, yes? How did you respond?
I just said no, I'm not ready. I may have included something about liking kids but not being ready to be a father to one. Surprisingly she still wanted to chat after that but we never met up.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 PM

348 posts, read 549,952 times
Quote:

Depends on the relationship, but I don't think he's 'obligated' or 'owes' it to her.

I went out once with a woman who had a daughter where the ex wasn't in the picture at all. I usually paid for everyone if we went out together, but that was because I had more money. I also was willing to do this because I cared for her (and her daughter was a great kid) and she had money problems. But I didn't feel like I 'owed' her or that I was 'obligated', rather that I felt as a good bf I should be receptive to her needs and responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships