Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times

Advertisements

If he would like to buy them a gift or take them on an outing, that would be okay depending on how far along the relationship had progressed, but he should not have a role in supporting them on an ongoing basis. This breaks a boundary, clouds the adult relationship and should not happen until the relationship is permanent.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
I have been in this situation. When we were dating, my future wife had a son - he looks like me, funny enough - and people thought he was my kid. After we got married, he did become my kid, and I raised him. But before we got married, my wife put no pressure on me to support her son, and I felt no obligation to do so. I did bake him cookies for his birthday, though.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I have been in this situation. When we were dating, my future wife had a son - he looks like me, funny enough - and people thought he was my kid. After we got married, he did become my kid, and I raised him. But before we got married, my wife put no pressure on me to support her son, and I felt no obligation to do so. I did bake him cookies for his birthday, though.
More power to ya.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
The original post asked a simple question: If a guy is dating a girl who has kids, should he help her out financially?

Once again, some users turned the thread into a barrage of gender bashes and personal attacks. The thread is now closed.

Everyone: please re-read the Terms of Service!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships