Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
So after my hubs told me he'd prefer me to work, not only would he not want me to stay home but if I made enough money, he'd prefer to be the one to stay home with the kids!

My friend stayed home with their daughter while his wife worked and he loved it. He and his daughter are super close and he loved getting to take care of her. His wife makes a ton of money.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Of course, in my field/career tract, I will be lost if I take off time now to have kids. That's why I "need a stay-at-home wife".

Know any guys who are interesting, well educated, hopefully attractive to me, good with kids who want to be a a stay-at-home wife?

Didn't think so.... Most guys aren't looking for a wife like me either.
Lol...yes, I do know a handsome, fit, educated househusband...and yes, I do know plenty of men married to verrrry successful women.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,393,709 times
I should also mention a big con for my husband agreeing to let me stay home with the kids is that he's known 4-5 other couples that did this in which the wife began cheating and sleeping around.

Not saying this to challenge anything. Just thought it was interesting. Whatever!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Quote:
I should also mention a big con for my husband agreeing to let me stay home with the kids is that he's known 4-5 other couples that did this in which the wife began cheating and sleeping around.

Not saying this to challenge anything. Just thought it was interesting. Whatever!
A good time to understand the difference between causation and correlation.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM

36,690 posts, read 31,000,643 times
Quote:

I can say I know 4 or 5 couples where the wife or husband cheated when they were both working outside the home. I think a cheater is a cheater.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 AM

29,771 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Most stay-at-home moms I know don't have the time or the energy to even consider cheating (not that they would in the first place.) When would this all go down? Between the toddler's nap and the 3rd grader's soccer practice?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,035,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Most stay-at-home moms I know don't have the time or the energy to even consider cheating (not that they would in the first place.)
Thank you. Cheating is way too much work and I get tired just thinking of it. I can't believe some people actually enjoy doing that.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,959,648 times
It just wouldn't make financial sense to us to ever do it, even if I wanted to, unless there were 4+ kids.

a) Day care per kid runs about $1500/month for an infant (less for a toddler, less for a school aged kid). Additional kids have a sizable discount. (So $18-30k/year for 1-2 kids)
b) My income is far higher than the $42k it would take to cover daycare expenses for 2 kids. Even when you take into account commuting costs (minimal, I'd still need a car for errands), new clothes (very minimal), and food (I pack my lunch, so no savings there).

We'd be saving over $30k by me working with 2 infants, $45k with one infant. Assuming no raises and ridiculously high priced daycare for the rest of their childhood, that's their college right there. If it's a choice between staying home with them while they're little, or affording to pay for their college and family vacations, it's a no brainer.

The numbers change with 4+ kids.

Now, if one of us made soooooooooo much money that paying for their college in full wasn't going to be a stretch at all, then great. But as long as our earnings stay in the range they're currently in, daycare costs will never outweigh earning potential.

Emotional reasons for staying home are a completely different story.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 AM

36,690 posts, read 31,000,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Most stay-at-home moms I know don't have the time or the energy to even consider cheating (not that they would in the first place.) When would this all go down? Between the toddler's nap and the 3rd grader's soccer practice?
Thats true for a saty at home mom, but I can see maybe just a stay at home wife/husband who has the time and means to run around much of the day. Of course I still think a cheater is a cheater and where there is a will theres a way.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,759,879 times
I tried being a stay at home Mum when my kids were very little but I was bored stupid. I ended up doing my nursing training during that time and when they started school, I started working. Their Dad looked after them when I had clinicals and they went to daycare when I was in class. It actually worked out pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships