Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,408,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I was talking about the men who propose.
A lot of the men are swindlers,theives,abusers.

This is what I experienced. But I don't get multiple proposals either.
I date a certain demographic of men known to have commitment issues.
Are you Snooki? Sorry

I had the opposite experience... I usually dated upstanding, traditional guys who just wanted to settle down and start families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,208,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Usually six months to a year, typically close to the year mark. I got most of these proposals when I was in my 20s.

I alluded to this in another post, but the reason I turned them down was because it seemed to me like they just wanted to get married for the sake of getting married. I never felt that I was anything truly unique or special to them; I just happened to be the women they were dating when they decided it was time to settled down and do the family thing.

So, essentially, I could have been Just Anywoman, U.S.A.

That's how those multiple divorces happen, IMHO.

Also, I was still in my 20s and had things to do on my Bucket List. In retrospect, I should not have been dating anyone seriously during this time. But it's just something that you learn with age and wisdom.
The bolded is what I felt too about my ex who asked me to marry him. That, and because he wanted to "nail me down"..to be completely his.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 PM

773 posts, read 1,263,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
The bolded is what I felt too about my ex who asked me to marry him. That, and because he wanted to "nail me down"..to be completely his.
I actually had one guy tell me after dating for around six months (paraphrased), "Either we get engaged or I'm breaking up with you."

Nice ultimatum, huh? I was just out of high school and about to leave for university.

Receiving "multiple proposals" didn't flatter my ego at all, as it was not a reflection of me but rather, what someone else wanted, arbitrarily. It led to a lot of painful times during which I necessarily had to let go.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM

7,954 posts, read 8,239,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I was talking about the men who propose.
A lot of the men are swindlers,theives,abusers.

This is what I experienced. But I don't get multiple proposals either.
I date a certain demographic of men known to have commitment issues.
Well hon, you need to stop dating that demographic of men.

As for this conversation you ladies are having about these men who have proposed you intrigues me. So basically, these guys weren't really into you but just the idea of settling down and having a family.

I always had this idea that most young people just wanted to date around when they were younger but obviously sought to settle down but as all of you are saying it shouldn't be like that. Even though a guy reaches that point in his life it should be about the woman he's seeing and not that he just wants to settle down.

Okay sorry for rambling but my question is that what if a guy meets that special girl at a young age like 18 or 21? Let's say he had no thoughts of being tied down or married but he meets this girl and things are really clicking between them and she feels the same way about him, why not tie the not?

Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,558,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
what if a guy meets that special girl at a young age like 18 or 21? Let's say he had no thoughts of being tied down or married but he meets this girl and things are really clicking between them and she feels the same way about him, why not tie the not?
He's way too young, as is she, if they're approximately the same age. They probably haven't even finished college yet at 21, never mind 18. I have nothing against marrying young, but 18 or 21 is just too young. At those ages it's unlikely that they have enough life experience to make a marriage work--especially the guy, since boys mature later than girls.

If things are clicking so well, they should just continue to date and see what happens. If it's real, they'll still want to be together after they've completed their educations, are employed, and have paid down some school loans. Age 23 or older would have a better chance of success.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,414,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
I think that there are some guys who don't feel like "real men" unless they're rescuing someone, and this particular girl fits their bill. But like you said, these aren't typically the type of guy you'd be drawn to, and that's probably for a very good reason. You have different standards, and you probably have more respect for a man who wants a woman who can stand on her own two feet. I have -0- respect for men who allow themselves to be used like that. And I suspect that men feel the same way about girls who go after "loser" guys.

I've been proposed to several times, but this is not to say that I said "yes." In my case, the guys were the LifePlan (TM) types. You know, date six months, get married, buy a house in the 'burbs, have a couple of kids, don't really think about any of it too deeply. I don't think that they really wanted to marry me, per se — they just wanted to get married — and I can sniff that stuff out right away.
First of all, the pictures in that story - BLAH! If I didn't know how to read, I would've thought I was looking at one of those Faces of Meth compilations.

Anyhow, what you said about the guys who are more enamoured of the idea of marriage itself, rather than being married to a specific person, rings true in my life. These guys had it all planned out: get married by such and such age, have x amount of kids, the whole nine - and thought that they could just plop any random woman into that equation. Sometimes that random woman was me. Although I don't know what part of "I don't want kids" they didn't get.

I was actually talking to a friend of mine about this a while ago. I said it was like being at a carnival where they have those cardboard cutouts where you stick your faces in and then get your pictures taken. Picture one of those cardboard cutouts being of a "typical" family, and some guy trying to shoe-horn you into that picture somehow. That's how it felt to me.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:56 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,760,580 times
I agree with someone else that said something about a 'damsel in distress' and how some guys like to play the role of hero to some of this type.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM

18,257 posts, read 14,480,921 times
Default why do some women get proposed to several times

They got the good stuff. Men go crazy.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM

18,257 posts, read 14,480,921 times
Oh never mind my post. I just now read she was dumped several times, right after the marriage. She doesn't have it.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:50 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,873,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Even though a guy reaches that point in his life it should be about the woman he's seeing and not that he just wants to settle down.
I've encountered women who seem to think that it is like a light switch in a guys head. Suddenly, he "realizes" that he needs to be married and any woman in his life at that time will be proposed to.

For starters, while many women may feel that they need to be married, this is something that rarely happens to men. The timing is almost entirely dependent on finding what he considers to be the right woman. As the years pass, this is happening to an ever shrinking number of men.

Now days, it is only divorced guys, whose ex is taking much of his income, who have a need to marry. Many will fulfill this "need" several times. Of course, it helps that they are generally of the type who women considered desirable so they had a good selection to encourage them to marry for the first time. After that, because of their desirability, they again get interest although, they men no longer be nearly as picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships