Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,630,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So, had you faced that situation, would you have muttered 'thanks' to the older lady and looked the other way? Or would you have talked to her?
I talk to random strangers all the time. IMO it's no big deal. PLus if it's a good convo, it's like a little bright spot in my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
It seems I have something big in common with most people I meet.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yeah I get it from my dad I can talk to just about anyone at any given time.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
...people in the West are more laid back and accepting of strangers.
If you think west coasters are nice, you should see this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
There's something else to it cause even my therapist--who's blind herself (and deaf)--tells me I am super approachable. I wonder what I'm doing that even deaf blind people can pick up on it. Lol.
You have a good aura.

Quote:
I'm wondering, the people who strike up conversations in this thread--how do you do it?
Depends on where I'm at. If it's at the store and I notice something they are wearing, or something they are buying, I will comment. That's how it usually starts.

Quote:
I think you may be onto something there. I definitely pick up on people's vibes without being able to see their body language. I do think that as humans we're much more in tune to each other than most people realize.
I agree, but I honestly think you might pick up on it more than the rest of us due to your situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,077,167 times
Quote:
I had one on an airliner flying west last year. It was an eightyish woman. Had I been in my twenties, I might have thought, "Why can't it be some young cute girl?" I helped her with her bag, and had the usual chitchat about where we were going, etc. But she kept talking and I learned all kinds of fascinating things, such as how she had been twenty when she followed her parents to Japan during the occupation, the lore of growing up in rural Mississippi, and all sorts of other interesting stuff. The four-hour flight to San Francisco raced by.

Another flight, I sat by a Pakistani engineer who had been in the states for 30 years. As it turns out, he was reading a book I had read recently. By the time we were done with our flight, I had heard his fascinating story about moving to this country, the challenges he faced, the rewards he had come to know, and how his children had become acculturated to American ways.

I just can't help but think that we are social creatures and not meant to not talk to one another. Obviously, if someone doesn't want to talk, I don't. But I have found conversations with strangers to be some of the most interesting ones I've ever had. All people to me become more interesting the more one talks to them.
Years ago during a flight I had a conversation with the guy next to me, I like watching out the window at the wings, clouds, ground if possible, whatever, we talked about the wings and how they move and stuff, made the time fly by(pun intended). He told me a lot of people don't like the window seat because they can see how high they are, I like heights so ...

Humans are pack animals so it is in our nature to pack together but are cautious of others.

If you never talk to strangers, you can't have any friends.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Years ago during a flight I had a conversation with the guy next to me, I like watching out the window at the wings, clouds, ground if possible, whatever, we talked about the wings and how they move and stuff, made the time fly by(pun intended). He told me a lot of people don't like the window seat because they can see how high they are, I like heights so ...

Humans are pack animals so it is in our nature to pack together but are cautious of others.

If you never talk to strangers, you can't have any friends.

It seems most friends are typically made in situations where you are forced to interact, such as school, community groups, church etc.

Always liked the window seats for the view.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 AM

395 posts, read 707,643 times
Quote:
Last night, my son and I were at the grocery store in the checkout line after his lacrosse practice. The woman ahead of us was about ten years older. She said to me, "You have a nice looking son, there." I thanked her, introduced myself, and we proceeded to have a nice ten-minute chat, at the end of which we each knew how many children we each had, what ages they were, etc. etc. Even the gum-chewing cashier got involved in the discussion. I wasn't in any hurry and nobody was behind us in line, so it was a nice break in our day.

The woman gathered her bags, said good-bye, and left. My son, who is normally a total smart-ass, said, "She was really nice. I liked her." And the teenager said, "That was really cool." It was as if the four of us had experienced a moment of grace in our lives.

I've thought about that conversation since then. As I get older, I find that I enjoy connecting to people, even if I don't know them. I find it interesting the conversations you have with can have with total strangers, when time permits. When I was younger, I would have been polite, but still given her the brush-off.

So, had you faced that situation, would you have muttered 'thanks' to the older lady and looked the other way? Or would you have talked to her?
If I had the time I would be friendly and chatty, but if I was in a rush I'd have to excuse myself.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Having those very senses helped me innumerable times when I worked security positions, as well as in several "episodes" on the streets.

I think humans have always had, for lack of a better term, "extended senses" but have lost touch with them because of social conditioning.

... at least, that's what I tell my students when I teach them to recover those senses.
100% agree!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Last night, my son and I were at the grocery store in the checkout line after his lacrosse practice. The woman ahead of us was about ten years older. She said to me, "You have a nice looking son, there." I thanked her, introduced myself, and we proceeded to have a nice ten-minute chat, at the end of which we each knew how many children we each had, what ages they were, etc. etc. Even the gum-chewing cashier got involved in the discussion. I wasn't in any hurry and nobody was behind us in line, so it was a nice break in our day.

The woman gathered her bags, said good-bye, and left. My son, who is normally a total smart-ass, said, "She was really nice. I liked her." And the teenager said, "That was really cool." It was as if the four of us had experienced a moment of grace in our lives.

I've thought about that conversation since then. As I get older, I find that I enjoy connecting to people, even if I don't know them. I find it interesting the conversations you have with can have with total strangers, when time permits. When I was younger, I would have been polite, but still given her the brush-off.

Honey, Im from the south. I talk to everybody and anybody, anywhere usually about anything.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Honey, Im from the south. I talk to everybody and anybody, anywhere usually about anything.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well, I live in the South (barely) and I don't. I'm just not a talker and would probably try to duck convos with folks I don't know.

Quote:
I probably would have looked the other way. 6 years in Northern VA and working customer service has turned me off people.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM

19,725 posts, read 20,264,355 times
No! And I can't get them to leave me alone!!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
I'm wondering, the people who strike up conversations in this thread--how do you do it?
Let's see here are my typical ones:
Well usually if I make eye contact with someone I smile at them, they smile back and maybe half of them will respond with a basic greeting "hi" "how are you" "how's your day?"

I respond with something generic and relatable: talk about an big local event, the weather, sports whatever.

Mostly, I talk to whoever is looking my way.

At the grocery store: ask the person in front of you how they use a particular ingredient (great way to get recipe tips, and a great way to start a pickup)

In line anywhere: if someone else is looking at the magazines, make a comment about one of the covers. "That looks really good on a cooking magazine" or "what a horrible/great outfit if it's a fashion or celebrity magazine?"

Anywhere: pay someone a genuine compliment. Like great bag, nice shoes, great dress......whatever. Usually people start talking as long as it isn't a sketchy compliment.

In line at a restaurant: what is your favorite thing here (drink, dish, appetizer..)?

At an event/concert/festival: if you are standing near someone at a fair, ask them where the good food is, best booth, best ride, whatever. OR ask if they have been to this particular event before/seen this band in concert/been to the venue.

That's about it. Basically mention something contextual to someone who looks receptive. They are usually smiling or giving you positive body language. Especially if you smile first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships