Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 10:13 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella925 View Post
Just curious, are there a lot of black people on city-data?? or are the few on here so eager to discuss black issues??

Also, IDC if you're a black man, you can't speak for all black men. IDC if you're a black woman, you can't speak for all black women. Also just because you read some things online, does not give you the ability to speak for all people who relate to the topics in which you read about.

Why do people feel it is so necessary to discuss race on city-data...it is like an obsession.
Forums like these are one of the few venues where everyday folks can discuss controversial issues related to race honestly with little fear of real-world upheaval and backlash. Discussion forums in general tend to be a good reflection of what your friends, neighbors and acquaintances may be thinking but loath to share or discuss with you face to face. Believe it or not, this has actually been one of the more engaging and productive race-themed threads on this forum, which is likely the reason it has lasted as long as it has.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
It's not so much that WM/BW pairings are more "equal" as it is that the majority of these pairings are clustered in the upper end of the socioeconomic spectrum to begin with. By contrast, these pairings are almost nonexistent at the lower end of the spectrum. BM/WW pairings, on the other hand, are much more frequent and occur at all socioeconomic levels, which of course includes those particularly unstable pairings at the lower end of the spectrum.
Yes, that was along the same lines of the point I was making.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:16 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,900 times
Is disqualifying someone based on their face facism?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
It's not so much that WM/BW pairings are more "equal" as it is that the majority of these pairings are clustered in the upper end of the socioeconomic spectrum to begin with. By contrast, these pairings are almost nonexistent at the lower end of the spectrum. BM/WW pairings, on the other hand, are much more frequent and occur at all socioeconomic levels,

which of course includes those particularly unstable pairings at the lower end of the spectrum.
Overall I would have to agree. A lot depends on what you have visabilty to. All of the bm Engineers I work with date and marry wf and hf. So from an upper middle class perspective thats what I see. We have a few bf engineers and ive never seen them date non bm and typically show up at work events soloif not with a bm.

In my personal life most of the people I associate with are working stiffs and Alternative types and race is never a consideration but its just as likely to be mixed than not.
Thats what I have viability to, which is probably not even close to what someone in dc or Ny would see?

Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pims26 View Post
This is just so much nonsense, it just doesn't deserve a reply.

No we don't all accept that premise actually!
That kind of attitude is one of the things that's wrong with much of America today.
There is a huge gulf between what the law says about Racism (and the purpose for which it was written for) and the application of the law, which is riddled by political purposes & interests and have been for many years.

My own opinion is that there is a huge gap in so many things between white people and non-white people and also, that black people in particular have mostly themselves to blame for so much of what they are unhappy about in their lives.
You only have to look at the Trayvon Martin case and see how it was hijacked for political purposes and all the easily led people tricked into yelling out all kinds of awful things and marching around the country, for something that they know very little to nothing about. What have people, unconnected to the family of Trayvon, have to do with this event? Its quite ridiculous.

When a non-black person is killed, do we see such marches and howls from pulpits of "They're killing our children every day", "we're under fire"...and all the nonsense drivel that comes out of certain black people's mouths? No, we don't see this because its not appropriate to do so and until people actually know what happened, an opinion cannot be formed.
There is a justice system in this country and this has to be allowed to work before anyone can say anything.

This argument is a false one because the laws regarding Racism, while ostensibly written to apply to everyone in the same way, only really apply (and are only pursued and enforced) when the Racism is being exhibited by a white skinned person, towards a non-white skinned person. It doesn't apply in the real world with any other group dynamic.

Finally, like so many people who loosely and liberally use the word, you don't understand the meaning of the word Racism.
Its probably not your fault, given how commonplace its used to shut down many a conversation, point to imagined injustice (as well as incorrectly labeled injustices) and by people who "look for" Racism when none exists and who look to cash in.

I suggest you look up the definition of Racism, so you don't fall into the trap that so many before you have and aren't tricked, used and riled up by race baiters, like Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton and many a so-called "minister".

What you might be talking about is Prejudice.

You cannot legislate for people's tastes, nor intellectualize it, as liberal minded lefty professors seem to think they can. Such an idea, while not new, is a very dangerous one, because once the idea of an individual's personal choice is deemed to be the collective's right to know and for that individual's choice to be assessed and judged, you are then on the road to Fascism.

I like X and not Y is something I (and everyone on the planet) was born with, something I cannot change and something that cannot be changed by force.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron or a tyrant or both.
Look 'Mr. Angry White Guy' if you want to talk about your disdain for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton or the Trayvon Martin case, take it to the P&OC forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I don't know what you do but I don't frequent any other internet forums besides this one and one's about style/fashion/make-up/hair....so sorry, I'm not a part of a conspiracy.

My specific advice to Black women (the ones who have expressed having problems with finding love) is be to open to non-Black men as options for romantic relationships. But I also advise that Black women work on making themselves better "catches" all around. (I made a list somewhere in this thread but I'm not going to hunt it down)

The reason that I say what I do about this issue is because (in my case) the same Black friends have had the same complaints about men for as long as I can remember. While other friends have no problem. And there is a distant difference in the thoughts/beliefs/attitudes about men/overall attitudes/etc between the two groups. I am tired of the same women, who complain about not having a man, but who will whip out a mile-long list of must-haves that are absolutely ridiculous (and beyond unrealistic)
But what if these black women you're talking about prefer black men just like how some black women prefer only white men? Shouldn't those black women expand their horizons too? In fact you could say that anyone who only dates a particular group of people should broaden their horizons.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:19 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Is disqualifying someone based on their sex sexism? Straight and gay people do it all the time. Is everyone who isn't bisexual sexist?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Look 'Mr. Angry White Guy' if you want to talk about your disdain for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton or the Trayvon Martin case, take it to the P&OC forums.

But what if these black women you're talking about prefer black men just like how some black women prefer only white men? Shouldn't those black women expand their horizons too? In fact you could say that anyone who only dates a particular group of people should broaden their horizons.
That is actually exactly what I was saying.

This is NOT about Black women simply dating White men. It is about Black women opening their options to non-Black men (and also I should add non-American Black men) so that they have more choices.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Or Stormfront.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
There's no need to stir up the beast on here. We were having a nice exchange of ideas. And, I daresay that most of the black women who have commented acknowledge that they are open to cross-racial/cross-cultural dating, have done it in the past, and continue to look for opportunities for it.

Our issues are somewhat unique, and this public forum gives us the opportunity to tell our stories, which we have the right to discuss as much as anyone else.

If you don't want to be involved in the part of this discussion that relates to black women, simply excuse yourselves from the thread.

I thank you.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I think it is amazing... racism is based on hate... do you hate the other race when picking dating partners? No... then it is NOT racism... just because you prefer white, asian, or black doesn't make it racist... the foundation of racism is hatred... just because you don't choose to date a certain race doesn't mean you hate that race... I don't understand why there is 87 pages of something so simple...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships