Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ......
Loud Snorer 20 41.67%
Loud Eater (heavy breathing/moaning or smacking mouth) 20 41.67%
If everything else is perfect with the person I could overlook these 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Strange taste...
It speaks to my inner wanderer.

[where's that train going and can I come along?]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM

744 posts, read 812,303 times
My dad is a loud eater and it drives me insane, I feel bad when/if I call him out on it but it's just freaking rude in my opinion. I wonder if he can even help it. A girl doing that would be a big turn off, snoring could be kinda cute, if she would put up with the radio being on then I could handle the snoring.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:44 PM

733 posts, read 1,664,275 times
Loud snorer fo' sho. I am a light sleeper.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,572 times
Snoring is worse. Spouse chews nicotine gum in lieu of smoking. If he starts smacking too loud (a usual occurrence), all I have to do is give him The Look 0_o , and he stops.

On snoring, we compromise.

I can sleep through the first 4 or 5 hours without hearing Spouse snore. Then there's a break in my sleep pattern where I wake up. If the room is quiet, I can get back to sleep. If Spouse is snoring (and he doesn't do it by halves, that's fer sure. LOUD ), I can't get back to sleep. That's when I get up and finish my sleeping in the spare room. He accepts that or agrees to silently endure me being a grouchy bear the rest of the day

Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Are the people who say they'd rather put up with a loud snorer serious???

Eating is what, just 2, at most 3 times a day, while snoring is the whole night!

You can eat like a friggin' pig, but I cannot abide loud snoring.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
I can sleep through a NASCAR race, so snoring is not a big deal for me - and it's not something one can control. But seeing or hearing the half masticated cow.....nails on a chalkboard. That lack of self awareness usually brings other bad habits with it. Deal breaker.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 AM

27,350 posts, read 27,405,100 times
I agree with SC Granny, the smacking mouth and controllable noises one makes when eating is a turn off. The plate is empty already, why keep scraping it with that fork repeatedly, are you trying to clean it or do you just like the sound it makes?! Sheesh!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 AM

257 posts, read 1,058,629 times
This is a funny thread.

I know that loud snoring would disturb my sleep. But loud chewing disturbs my soul!!! Lol. I get homicidal urges towards people who smack their mouth when they chew.

Bad table manners are definitely a deal breaker for me. Superficial as it may sound, it's embarrassing and an indicator of poor home training.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are the people who say they'd rather put up with a loud snorer serious???

Eating is what, just 2, at most 3 times a day, while snoring is the whole night!

You can eat like a friggin' pig, but I cannot abide loud snoring.
You can tell a person to close their mouth while eating and chew slower; many times with other eaters who can back you up. You can also imitate their sounds to let them know how gross they are.

Snoring - it's usually only you and the snorer. And to stop the snoring, you're going to have to wake that person - which can bring ugly results. Many's the time I nudged, pushed, then finally punched my snoring spouse to get him to roll over, sometimes causing him to flail around, sit up, and growl "I'm NOT snoring!" *hmph* :: punch pillows/fishtail/settle down:: "zzzzZZZZzzzzz"

I finally said "f* it" and set up separate sleeping areas.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,857,290 times
If I may go on a slight tangent - has anyone ever seen those recommendations for the spouse of a snorer to "wear earplugs"?

Have these people ever had jobs or children? If you wear earplugs, how are you going to hear a crying baby, or the alarm clock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships