Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,616,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Yea, I hear people are now going into Cambodia due to cheaper prices, easier visa regulations and fear that once King Bhumibol dies, the government will change in a way where Thailand will not be as accommodating/welcoming to expats.
ya staying long term in cambodia is easy and cheap. same with the philippines. all you really need to do in either country is pay for visa extensions every now and then. in thailand it is becoming more and more difficult. when i lived there full time i would have to go on a visa run to poipet every month (which took the entire day). now i couldn't even do that if i wanted. thailand's shift in policies is driving out a lot of ppl. as for what will happen when the king dies, lotsa speculation on what will happen. possible civil war and all that. burmese style military govt propping up. i don't think it will be like that, if anything that might be good for cheap charlies like myself. thailand will continue to prosper i think, and guys like me will be priced out of the country.

one thing to note however: cambodia lacks the infrastructure to live a true first world standard of living. one of the good things about thailand is that you can live a first world lifestyle with third world prices. can't say the same about many other countries.

Quote:
With all due respect, the problem with the Philippines is the food. Thailand by far has better cuisine.
can't argue with you there. that said, i am one of the few guys i know who was never a big fan of the food in thailand. better than PI food of course, but i guess i am just partial to the food of my home country (mexico). never understood why thai food is so universally popular with everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM

17,648 posts, read 22,693,432 times
WE've had some real good times on Kauai...

Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,589,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
ya staying long term in cambodia is easy and cheap. same with the philippines. all you really need to do in either country is pay for visa extensions every now and then. in thailand it is becoming more and more difficult. when i lived there full time i would have to go on a visa run to poipet every month (which took the entire day). now i couldn't even do that if i wanted. thailand's shift in policies is driving out a lot of ppl. as for what will happen when the king dies, lotsa speculation on what will happen. possible civil war and all that. burmese style military govt propping up. i don't think it will be like that, if anything that might be good for cheap charlies like myself. thailand will continue to prosper i think, and guys like me will be priced out of the country.

one thing to note however: cambodia lacks the infrastructure to live a true first world standard of living. one of the good things about thailand is that you can live a first world lifestyle with third world prices. can't say the same about many other countries.
What about Phnom Penh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
can't argue with you there. that said, i am one of the few guys i know who was never a big fan of the food in thailand. better than PI food of course, but i guess i am just partial to the food of my home country (mexico). never understood why thai food is so universally popular with everyone.
Oh my, Mexican food is THE BEST, so I can see why you would not be that excited about Thai food.

About Thai food, do you eat out of the street stalls, or do you you eat in the nice aricon restaurants?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,616,474 times
Quote:
What about Phnom Penh?
PP didn't even have a movie theatre or real mall until like a year ago. the city is building up fast, i'd say 5 years it will be comparable to bangkok ... in 1995. pretty sure PP still doesn't even have a mcdonalds or 7-11

not trying to bash PP, i love the place and considering the fact that i'm not making anywhere near as much as i'd like on my current trip to the US i will prolly be spending the majority of my time on my return to se asia in the city. it's definitely third world, make no mistake.

Quote:
Oh my, Mexican food is THE BEST, so I can see why you would not be that excited about Thai food.

About Thai food, do you eat out of the street stalls, or do you you eat in the nice aricon restaurants?
street stalls/food courts.

if i am in an aircon place it's usually an expat place w western food.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I was on an online dating site recently and the womans post I was looking at said she wanted to escape to an Island with her new found man. While, I am a practical man the escape from the rat race scenario sounds very desirable. Is it even practical? Is there even a place you could go for 2k a month per person without slumming it?

Yes, you can do it, but it depends on what kind of job you have because most Americans are restricted from traveling anywhere for long periods of time simply because they can't leave their jobs for no longer then 2 weeks without loosing their jobs.

This is the main reason as to why so few Americans have passports, and are not well traveled, apposed to people in Europe who are granted much more vacation time.

Anyhow, why take sand to the beach? Many places around the world have tropical islands with beautiful women already there who are warm and friendly.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM

22,414 posts, read 29,539,202 times
Costa Rica. Look into it

Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,946,062 times
Why wouldn't Viet Nam refugees go back to their homeland if it is a better, cheaper style of living?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,029,608 times
Find a nice small town somewhere and settle down.

ou don't have to leave the US to get away from everything.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,262,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Costa Rica. Look into it
Costa Rica is not exactly cheap.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Costa Rica is not exactly cheap.

Yea, you're right. It's because that's the new place to retire (before it was Florida) so many Americans that have moved there over the years have driven up the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships