Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,622,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
A man with options in 2012 isnt waiting 90 days for sex. It's just not happening
So if you're a man with options then you have nothing to worry about. Just like women with options won't be waiting 90 days for a man to pay for a date.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,724,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It seems that in western dating men are expected to be the host. Just look at this thread or others that are related to the subject.
I do read the threads. Do you? Here are some posts from this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with this at all. I think dutch is the best way to go anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I will kick in after a date or two, or if the first date goes long i might buy a round or two of drinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
The person who invites, pays. Male or female.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I spend money on everyone all the time. Friends, family, coworkers...man, woman, child, dog, cat...it's a spending orgy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
I am more than willing to treat a man, and I have on lots of occassions. Hell, I damn near supported my ex-boyfriend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have dated men, and paid for everything....including vacations....cruises...airfare....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
I have no troule picking up checks when we are serious or exclusive but not before that. Maybe a round of drinks but that is it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont think a guy should have to pay for all dates and I dont think that it is all that common anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I pay my own way.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM

67 posts, read 112,946 times
90 day rule? LOL It's as easy to date a man who enjoys treating his date like a lady as it is to date someone who wants to go dutch. I have noticed distinct differences in each type of guy. I much prefer the guy who prefers to pay, and not just for free dinner. He is the guy who will more than likely treat me like I am special if it ever turned into a relationship. Maybe I am dinosaur, but I kind of like it that way.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,282,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I do read the threads. Do you? Here are some posts from this one.
Some of them still expect to be paid for during the "first few dates" for no reason really. The whole "whoever asks pays", come on, we know this means "men pay" since women rarely ever ask men out unless it is a long commited relationship, their boyfriend, or husband. Remember how women are too afraid of rejection, failing, etc. Others won't do it unless it is an already serious relationship which we know it doesn't take a week or two. And many can say "I WOULD pay for mine...but guys beat me to the punch, they don't let me, etc..." But sure, there are some exceptions of women who pay since date #1 with no problem at all, I'll give you that.

There's another one above this post who also, like the majority, prefers to be paid and sought for.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialem28 View Post
90 day rule? LOL It's as easy to date a man who enjoys treating his date like a lady as it is to date someone who wants to go dutch. I have noticed distinct differences in each type of guy. I much prefer the guy who prefers to pay, and not just for free dinner. He is the guy who will more than likely treat me like I am special if it ever turned into a relationship. Maybe I am dinosaur, but I kind of like it that way.
Dialem,
Sure, it seems you like the tradition that a man should pay for a woman's meals, drinks, entertainment, etc. all her expenses but do you also believe it is your duty, as a woman, to cook and clean if you got married? Or is that tradition sexist?

So if a man treats you like a lady by going after you, paying for your expenses, etc. how do you treat him like a man? By accepting his invitation?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM

460 posts, read 672,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialem28 View Post
My husband always paid when we were dating and he's a wonderful spouse. I know many men who insist on dutch (from my retail days) and I would advise women to stay far away from these guys. Not because they don't pay, but because they are stingy, bitter individuals who use women up and leave them to move onto the next. The ones who are relationship minded seem to be more willing to invest time and money in the women they date. Of course that's not a hard and fast rule. There are many exceptions but that's where these ideas come from.

I'm not sure if it's sexist, but it does speak to the general character of the guy.Just like the men who make all sorts of assumptions about women who sleep with them on the first date. It may be sexist and unfair but that's the way the system seems to work. Complain and whine about it all you want but I don't think it's going to do you any good.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM

If something would lead to marriage I have no problem taking on cooking, laundry etc... providing he takes care of his 'manly' household things. I guess I am probably alone in my opinion, but to each their own.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 AM

460 posts, read 672,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Nice people don’t expect sex from their partner after the date or expect their expenses to be paid for. They just expect to enjoy each other’s company and see where things go from there.

That is until that point where there is some sort of trust. Would a woman invite that guy she just met for a first date? I doubt it.

Women expecting and demanding men to pay for their meals, drinks, wine, entertainment, etc. is irrelevant too. They are adults who have jobs too so I don’t understand the whole mentality of “I am the woman here, therefore, I should be paid for”. Don’t women hate sexism?

Men are told to not focus on negative bad experiences when it comes to courting a woman, why not apply this to women as well? There are bad men/women out there but not everybody is the same, right? So now you are treating men the same way you didn’t like to be treated?
We aren't talking about first dates here. We're talking about 90 days or something. On first dates, as been pointed out many times, it's probably best to make it cheap. Don't take her out to the 5 star restaurant. Also, if men stopped expecting sex within the first couple of dates, more women would probably invite men back to their place. As it stands now, many women are probably afraid he will presume sex if she invites him back to her place.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
My husband always paid when we were dating and he's a wonderful spouse. I know many men who insist on dutch (from my retail days) and I would advise women to stay far away from these guys. Not because they don't pay, but because they are stingy, bitter individuals who use women up and leave them to move onto the next.
A man not paying is stingy, a woman who does not pay is not? She’s simply a woman?

Quote:
It may be sexist and unfair but that's the way the system seems to work. Complain and whine about it all you want but I don't think it's going to do you any good.
At least you agree it is sexist. Hey, if it favors you as a woman, why change it, right?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM

I agree with Southshorelady, there is no need for over the top dates. Treat the woman, even if it's a cone and a walk on the boardwalk. I much prefer simple dates easy-going first dates anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.