Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,112,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Even very smart, 'thinking' men will generally still go for the hot chick over a woman he actually has something in common with. There's a very good looking, well known astrophysicist that's married to a hot fashion blogger...

Personally, I think Tina fey is hot
Well...well...depends what 'go for' means...I know plenty of educated, wealthy, even good looking guys married to women who are plain but very intelligent and equally well educated.

If they just wanna have a good time, that's a different thing.

Yes, I'd do Tina!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,721,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I actually agree with this. A lot of people don't know their lane.

let's be clear tho,men Objectify women because women want to be objectified.

But only by the guys they want.

No woman with a brain that operates would want to be objectified.
It means to just look and not even consider her personality.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times
Quote:
Hell, I'm a mechanic and have been told that if I want to make it in the industry I should put a little more effort into the way I look. I was pissed at first, and then did a little mental backtracking and realized that it was quite true. The female mechanics (and I use that term loosely in many cases) that were pretty got paid better, got promoted etc. even if they weren't as knowledgeable. I also knew many girls that were hired based solely on their looks and it was miserable training and working with them.

So, I've come to the conclusion that of I'm going to make it in my industry I'm going to have to be pretty, even if I have to fake it.
I agree, you are right. However this also applies to men in the sense that we get hired and promoted on the basis of social dominance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
This just seems silly, though. If I spot a woman a block away from me that I've never seen before, why would she be upset that I don't value her personality? I don't even know her.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
So the women with fake everything, with vacuous personalities, whose mainly interests including getting facials, their hair done, nails done, reading celeb mags...etc, gossiping. They want to be seen for their intelligence? With screen names like hot/chick/babe/doll...

Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,444,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

This just seems silly, though. If I spot a woman a block away from me that I've never seen before, why would she be upset that I don't value her personality? I don't even know her.
Objectification has less to do with admiring a stranger, and more to do with the idea (that surfaces on this forum often) that men don't care what a woman does or thinks or has or who she is or what she wants, just as long as she looks hot in a bathing suit.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I agree, you are right. However this also applies to men in the sense that we get hired and promoted on the basis of social dominance.

At least social standing is something you can control. Yeah, I can lose weight, tone up, spend hours on my beauty regime and get surgery to make myself prettier... But why should I have to do that? It certainly isn't going to make me a better mechanic.

I've mentioned it before, but I had a male friend tell me that I shouldn't have spent the money getting my aerospace engineering degree and instead should have invested in a gym membership and some plastic surgery. I'm starting to think he was right.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Objectification has less to do with admiring a stranger, and more to do with the idea (that surfaces on this forum often) that men don't care what a woman does or thinks or has or who she is or what she wants, just as long as she looks hot in a bathing suit.
Constantly playing up your sex appeal to get male attention while ignoring your other attributes is definitely one way in which you encourage men to see you as an object not a person.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,207,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Constantly playing up your sex appeal to get male attention while ignoring your other attributes is definitely one way in which you encourage men to see you as an object not a person.

Bingo........

Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
At least social standing is something you can control. Yeah, I can lose weight, tone up, spend hours on my beauty regime and get surgery to make myself prettier... But why should I have to do that? It certainly isn't going to make me a better mechanic.

I've mentioned it before, but I had a male friend tell me that I shouldn't have spent the money getting my aerospace engineering degree and instead should have invested in a gym membership and some plastic surgery. I'm starting to think he was right.
Please don't. Pleasing those kinds of people is just not worth it.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:59 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,410,489 times
Quote:

You need to find better friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships