Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:47 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

No I do not respond. I was very specific in my profile and said that if you didn't match what I was looking for I wouldn't respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Sorry to say if I'm not interested I don't respond. Unless you are just DM-ing me a question.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
No I do not respond. I was very specific in my profile and said that if you didn't match what I was looking for I wouldn't respond.
Don't take this in a bad way but, between some of your posts and Miami, you seem like you would have been "friends" with one or both of the doctors in "Nip/Tuck."

Old 05-14-2012, 08:02 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
Ok so what did your "average" looking friend have on her profile?? I get hardly ANY messages on pof or OKC and cannot for the life of me figure out why not...I hear these myths of "average" looking girls getting 40 messages a day but I'm lucky if I get 1...

And in response to the OP...I don't reply to the ones I'm not interested in. For one thing, I never get responses from guys that aren't interested, so I figure they assume that no response=not interested. Plus, I've had a couple of guys get harassing after a reject email soooo yeh, not worth it!
That's pretty much all it is. I'll concede that there is an initial phase, after a gal first posts her profile, where all the hounddogs go after "fresh meat". It's like a new girl walking into a bar of old men. It's pretty much expected.
But those messages slow down to a trickle after a time, and stay that way. The idea that women get a jillion emails every day, all the time, is just a myth perpetuated by disgruntled males.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 AM

50 posts, read 86,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
Ok so what did your "average" looking friend have on her profile?? I get hardly ANY messages on pof or OKC and cannot for the life of me figure out why not...I hear these myths of "average" looking girls getting 40 messages a day but I'm lucky if I get 1...

And in response to the OP...I don't reply to the ones I'm not interested in. For one thing, I never get responses from guys that aren't interested, so I figure they assume that no response=not interested. Plus, I've had a couple of guys get harassing after a reject email soooo yeh, not worth it!

I agree. I think it's a myth to hear that "average" girls get like 40 emails in a day!! Honeslty, after a while, I keep seeing the same profiles pop up, over and over and over again. 40 emails a day... that means every guy in your area is attempting to contact them! LOL

Old 05-15-2012, 05:12 AM

Sending a rejection email is a tricky thing I think. Some people can take it as rude, as polite, or leading them one. You do not know the person, and you do not know how they will react.

I do not think it is rude to not respond to 1, or even 2 or 3 messages from a person that you are not interested in. In my opinion, I think it is worse to get an email saying something like thanks, but I'm not interested in you. I think it is less painful to just not get a response from someone. Just think, "no response=no interest", move on. At least that's how I feel. I don't contact many guys online, but when I do, I'd rather have them simply not respond as opposed to responding and me opening that email thinking it's some positive response only to have it say not interested.

Now... if there's been a dialogue going on... and you have been emailing back and forth for some time, then that's a different story. I think once you have a conversation that goes back and forth, that implies some interest because you have taken it to the next level. This is when it becomes rude to not respond back. I only respond to guys that I feel I have some interest in, and I reply to them by having a conversation back; hence, if I don't talk to you, then I'm not interested.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
There's a big difference between not replying to one email and going out 4 times and then falling off the face of the earth. And I will (respectfully) point out that sometimes men flake on us. I've had guys fall off the face of the earth on me too.
I agree. I've had one guy who I went on a date with... had a great time. He asked me out again before the end of the night! After, he texted me right away when he got home... we texted for like another week or 2, then he completely feel off the earth! About a month later, he texted me saying he wanted to make up for disappearing on me. Sorry, but flakiness is something that is an absolute no-no on my list!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That's pretty much all it is. I'll concede that there is an initial phase, after a gal first posts her profile, where all the hounddogs go after "fresh meat". It's like a new girl walking into a bar of old men. It's pretty much expected.
But those messages slow down to a trickle after a time, and stay that way. The idea that women get a jillion emails every day, all the time, is just a myth perpetuated by disgruntled males.
When you're a guy and you get zero emails a day, week, month.....5 emails can seem like a "jillion". It's all relative. That's 5 more opportunities to communicate than a man does. Men have to create their own opportunity, women just have to sit back and take their pick.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,592 times
My only problem with the whole "no response = no interest" mindset of the male is that women also get upset at guys who are dating multiple women. He threw out so many bones and got a few back and gives them all a shot, yet he's supposed to assume if a girl doesn't respond right away she's not interested

Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
My only problem with the whole "no response = no interest" mindset of the male is that women also get upset at guys who are dating multiple women. He threw out so many bones and got a few back and gives them all a shot, yet he's supposed to assume if a girl doesn't respond right away she's not interested
That's not entirely true for all women. I never had any expectations of being the only girl a guy went out with just because we met online. It was no different than meeting guys offline. Why would I assume we were exclusive after one date? Or even just several? I know I personally didn't want to be exclusive after one meeting, so my expectations were no different for the guys I met...online or off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships