Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:24 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I think it's nasty. I would never do that to my body.
Something you and I agree upon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
I think if men want to be truly supportive, they would happily offer to watch the baby so mom can have alone time and exercise. Chipping in and cooking a healthy meal wouldn't hurt. It is surprising the amount of men that get put out by a woman wanting to exercise without bringing baby along.
It's surprising how clueless men are about their role in a partnership, about how they should relate to women. In simpler societies, it comes naturally to men to help their women during pregnancy and after childbirth. There's a disconnect in our society. Women are expected to go right back to work after giving birth, too, or else it's considered they're cheating the company. Women are seen as a liability to employers. It's a draconian world for women.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:39 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
What Jessica Simpson does, and all the tabloid like attention she receives is not necessarily representative of how normal, rational people really think and behave. It does encourage objectifying women which is sad, but I think most normal guys do not look at the physical changes their spouse/SO go through as a deteriment to their beauty.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
There's a difference between letting yourself go and what pregnancy can, not necessarily do, to your body. I gained 60 lbs with all 3 pregnancies and lost all the weight. I have no stretch marks. But with my last pregnancy, my body didn't bounce back the way it did like the other two. The problem might even be that I've lost too much weight and my skin just doesn't have the elasticity it had two plus years ago. Needless to say, I look great dressed, but naked is a whole different story.

I always tease my husband that he better not die on me because then I'm really screwed! Not only will I have "baggage" (3kids), but my body is banged up. once my youngest is a little older, I will be paying a visit to the plastic surgeon's office.

And although my husband doesn't outright say anything negative about my body, the fact that he's not trying to talk me out of visiting a surgeon speaks volumes. (he convinced me to cancel breast reduction surgery because of the risks years ago, but now that we have three children, you'd think the risk would be even greater.) *for those who know me, I hope this doesn't reflect as poorly as it reads about my husband. This issue is more complex, as the state of my current body also has a great deal of impact on my mental well being.*

ETA: the irony is I get more compliments from men and women regarding my body than ever before.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:03 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
There's no excuse to let yourself go during pregnancy. Women who gain 50 pounds during pregnancy are obviously stuffing themselves and will have a ton of excess weight to lose after giving birth. That's all on them. They are responsible for not ballooning into a Beluga while pregnant.

Women who care about their bodies, their looks and their health will have essentially the same body after pregnancy than they do before (after 6 weeks of dieting to lose baby weight). There are plenty of examples of this and it's not restricted just to celebrities like Angelina Jolie or people like that.
Not really.

I gained 42lbs with my first baby, partly due to pre-eclampsia/HELLP syndrome and partly due to the fact that he was almost 10lbs. It wasn't that I "let myself go" and I wasn't stuffing myself. The weight was due mostly to water retention/swelling and the only cure for HELLP is delivery.

I lost the weight from all my pregnancies very easily, within 4-6 weeks of giving birth, however my stomach will never look like it did pre-pregnancy without the help of a tummy tuck.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
There's a difference between letting yourself go and what pregnancy can, not necessarily do, to your body. I gained 60 lbs with all 3 pregnancies and lost all the weight. I have no stretch marks. But with my last pregnancy, my body didn't bounce back the way it did like the other two. The problem might even be that I've lost too much weight and my skin just doesn't have the elasticity it had two plus years ago. Needless to say, I look great dressed, but naked is a whole different story.

I always tease my husband that he better not die on me because then I'm really screwed! Not only will I have "baggage" (3kids), but my body is banged up. once my youngest is a little older, I will be paying a visit to the plastic surgeon's office.

And although my husband doesn't outright say anything negative about my body, the fact that he's not trying to talk me out of visiting a surgeon speaks volumes. (he convinced me to cancel breast reduction surgery because of the risks years ago, but now that we have three children, you'd think the risk would be even greater.) *for those who know me, I hope this doesn't reflect as poorly as it reads about my husband. This issue is more complex, as the state of my current body also has a great deal of impact on my mental well being.*

ETA: the irony is I get more compliments from men and women regarding my body than ever before.
You don't owe anyone here an explanation. You've got what most of us dream of having. A wonderful spouse and family.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:28 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita82 View Post
In light of all the critical media attention Jessica Simpson has been getting post pregnancy for not getting right back into shape fast enough, what do you guys think of post pregnancy bods. And yes I understand that some women look like their normal selves after baby. I'm talking about the majority of women who have stretch marks, bulging belly, etc. Can you still find your lady attractive even with all that?
Folks, please keep your posts relative to the OP. Thanks.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM

460 posts, read 672,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
There's no excuse to let yourself go during pregnancy. Women who gain 50 pounds during pregnancy are obviously stuffing themselves and will have a ton of excess weight to lose after giving birth. That's all on them. They are responsible for not ballooning into a Beluga while pregnant.

Women who care about their bodies, their looks and their health will have essentially the same body after pregnancy than they do before (after 6 weeks of dieting to lose baby weight). There are plenty of examples of this and it's not restricted just to celebrities like Angelina Jolie or people like that.
That's so not true. I have always been on the very edge of the low-end for healthy weights for my height. I gained 55lbs with my first pregnancy. I did not go crazy eating. I have NEVER in my life wanted to eat lots of food. That's why I am thin. But food cravings and aversions did make me hate all the things that were healthy food me. Chicken literally made me throw up and my palette is very immature (hate almost all vegetables). So I agree that I didn't eat as healthy as normal. However, most of the weight I gained was severe edema and swelling all over my body due to high blood pressure the last few months.

I lost all the weight by 4 months post-partum and lost an additional 10 lbs (making me underweight) by 9 months which I personally attribute to nursing because I gained the 10lbs back after I weaned (went back to my normal pre-pregnancy weight).

My second pregnancy, I had aversions to all red meat and liked chicken. I had no swelling at all and no high blood pressure. I gained 32 lbs. I lost the weight on a similar time-table to my first.

My stomach is still not tight. I don't have too many stretch marks but it's not as firm. I"m considering plastic surgery but my husband doesn't see the need. He says he still finds me sexy and goes onto say corny things about me bearing his children and the sacrifices I made.

If my husband ever dreamed of leaving me, I'd make sure he helped pay for the plastic surgery to repair what he helped break! haha kidding

Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
yes i can, i wasnt aware i was only attracted to her for her looks.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:04 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Even though it may seem obvious to some that a female's body may not return to their original shape after having a baby (or babies), I think couples need to discuss the reality of the situation before having children. If you're planning to have children with your SO why not ask what they think of stretch marks, weight gain, etc. and if they're willing to be supportive in your journey to repair your body. Make a plan of how they can help (like some mentioned... watching the kiddies while the female exercises, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships