Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 04:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,184,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Because it is MY choice whether to bring a kid into this world or not. I choose not because I can't stand kids.

I don't think everyone should marry or have kids and I consider myself a prime example. The problem is that society believes is should be everyone's end goal and take away the right to choose an alternative path.

Question. Do you support couples adopting kids and molding them into something awesome? My dad was not an awesome person but that did not stop mom from making me into an awesome person.
How does society take away the right to choose an alternative path? There is no law against being single.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
How does society take away the right to choose an alternative path? There is no law against being single.
Social stigma anyone?

Why is he single at 35? He's not married, is he gay? You'll change your mind and have kids and love them. No wonder you ain't married.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:46 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,862,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
If you found the person you couldn't imagine going through life without? Just seems so foreign to me. Is it because some haven't felt that way about anyone they ever dated before? Is it a trust issue? Mommy and daddy issues? If you can see everything the world has to offer in your SO, don't you owe it to the world to bring an awesome kid into it?
First, not all kids are awesome. You can knock yourself out for 18, or 20, or 22 years and do everything the best you can to raise your child with values and still some kids turn out bad. Sometimes terrible parents end up raising kids that turn into fine adults. There are just no guarantees that your child will be "awesome."

Raising children involves stress. Even the most awesome kid causes stress to his parents. There will be health concerns, safety concerns, school concerns, indecision about independence, parenting styles, and much more.

There are also financial concerns. Kids are expensive.

Some people just don't want to bring a child into this world. Face it, the world can be a bad place, and bad things happen to good people.

Also, more than half of all marriages end in divorce. Even many people who were 100% certain they found the absolute perfect mate have been taken by surprise. I know you are certain that it could NEVER happen to you, but trust me, it can.

Children can be hard on a marriage. Some of the happiest couples I know are childless and have been married for many years.

I don't like the way you smugly assume anyone who doesn't produce children has issues.

p.s. I am a parent of three children.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,184,405 times
Quote:
Social stigma anyone?

Why is he single at 35? He's not married, is he gay? You'll change your mind and have kids and love them. No wonder you ain't married.
Social stigma is not the same as taking away your rights. Gay people can't get married in many states - that is taking away someone's rights. They are two separate things.

There are lots of things that people get flack for - but you do have the right to be single and childless. For the record - I don't think anyone should make anyone feel bad about the choices someone makes regarding their own life. I have friends that are married with children, friends that are married and plan on having children, friends that are married and never plan on having children, friends that are cohabitating without plans to get married, friends that are single and looking, friends that are single and having fun. As long as my friends are happy - I'm happy.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Putting another human being through all the pain that this world will cause them, creating another meaningless life, for no good reason whatsoever is almost criminal.
Which is all well and good unless you happen to be of the persuasion that finds life not to be a painful, meaningless existence, but rather an overwhelmingly joyful and meaningful one.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 PM

464 posts, read 479,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I wonder if some of the posters who vilify those who want and/or have kids feel the same way about their parents for bringing them into this world. I also wonder if they would support legislation limiting the number of children couples could have, if any at all.
Yes, I do believe we should have legislation limiting the number of children.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
In your opinion.
Not for anyone else but you.

You're simply arguing against others opinions.
One is just as valuable as the other.

No, legalities are not, in fact, a matter of opinion.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:05 PM

727 posts, read 1,534,436 times
Why would you not want to be a severe disabilities teacher?

Why would you not want to coach wrestling?

Why would you not want to watch Seth MacFarlane cartoons and Judd Apatow films?

Just because I enjoy those things doesn't mean everyone else will.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,054,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
If anybody is getting defensive it's you. How can I get defensive over a misunderstanding on YOUR part? You are the one so quick to link my beliefs with my deeds. You are right that they are here. That's why I help. However, I'm not telling those who have made mistakes. I'm forewarning others who haven't made the mistake.
Still getting defensive, which proves my point.

If what you say about yourself is true, there's no need to prove yourself, or care what I think. I am a random poster on a forum, after all.

Now back to the topic... .

Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,863 times
Quote:
Social stigma anyone?

I agree with the dissenter here. Im 36, have never been married or have any kids, and last girl i dated about drove me crazy trying to constantly probe into my past as to why that is. I think i need to find a more open minded place to live on this globe, because i am not a sheep but a unique human being and i hate being bothered of why im not following some nonsensical and outdated social norm, every day of my life. It gets annoying rather quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships