Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,663,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
If you are worried about the financial and social burdens of having a kid, you aren't fit to be a parent.

I think people should not have children if they can't afford them. Just because you got pregnant accidentally does not mean you can afford a child or are fit to be a parent.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:00 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,776,218 times
Telling people that they forcibly cannot have children, for whatever reason (whether financial or genetic), seems to me as being very close to eugenics...in other words, not a good thing at all, and in fact, very insidious...

Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,968,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Telling people that they forcibly cannot have children, for whatever reason whether financial or genetic, seems to me as being very close to eugenics...in other words, not a good thing at all, and in fact, very insidious...
You can weigh in the pro and con or facts to the cows come home. Things happen. Everyone needs to look at their own family who had them. They made it work. And people say well I'm not my mom or dad. Right they are. It's your choice no one's but yours.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 PM

37,742 posts, read 46,199,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is just dumb. I am not saying that someone who does not want kids is going to necessarily be a bad parent. The lack of desire may impact the effort that goes in. But who knows. But comparing a dog or part time interactions with friends' children with parenting is idiotic. I love my facebook friends who complain that they had to stay home from work with their sick dog and complain that their work won't let them take a sick day because their employee handbook uses the word family. Shmookums IS my family. Oy.
I'm not going to spend an hour telling you everything I know about the man, okay? I've known him for several years, and I know enough about him to suspect that he would be not just good...but an excellent parent. He's not a complete wacko dog-freak either...like plenty of other people I know. Those people I have no tolerance for either. Dogs are just pets - my kid is my family.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,968,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm not going to spend an hour telling you everything I know about the man, okay? I've known him for several years, and I know enough about him to suspect that he would be not just good...but an excellent parent. He's not a complete wacko dog-freak either...like plenty of other people I know. Those people I have no tolerance for either. Dogs are just pets - my kid is my family.
Preach it Sister!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 PM

542 posts, read 1,101,007 times
The thought of being a mom has never scared me the way the thought of being a wife has. That's why i chose to be a mom, but not a wife. It not necessary to do both anymore. Actually in my case, it's probably best that i didn't do both.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,948,105 times
People who have children intentionally are selfish people. They're willing to expose a human to all the horror on the world just so they can feel fulfilled and have someone to care for them when they're old, can't stand people like that. If you want kids, be a decent human and adopt

Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,722,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We get them on the Parenting board. They come in waves. Someone pops in to resurrect a thread or open a new one about how kids are noisy and how being around screaming brats all the time must be such a drag. There are the typical accusations made back and forth about brainwashing, who's more selfish, that each camp is secretly envious of the other, and so on.

It's a very frequent topic.
Exactly.

We should merge all of them with the threads about whether or not tattoos are hideous, how overweight women are jealous of thin women, and how none of them give short men the time of day, and let them fester in their collective cesspool of snooze-worthy predictability.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
People who have children intentionally are selfish people. They're willing to expose a human to all the horror on the world just so they can feel fulfilled and have someone to care for them when they're old, can't stand people like that. If you want kids, be a decent human and adopt
Because adopted children certainly are immune to exposure to the horrors of the world, and never expected to care for aging parents.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
The thought of being a mom has never scared me the way the thought of being a wife has. That's why i chose to be a mom, but not a wife. It not necessary to do both anymore. Actually in my case, it's probably best that i didn't do both.
Interesting...I find the prospect of being a wife FAR less intimidating than the prospect of being a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships