Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 AM

11,826 posts, read 12,076,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Again, has anyone ever told you that you're wrong from having kids?
Read this thread, people (including yourself) are telling childfree that they're wrong, selfish, wait until you have your own.
Yes! That's what I've been noticing as the thread has progressed, that undercurrent of a few folks trying to convince others they should have children.

Whatever brings you happiness in life, whatever route you take to fulfill that, that is your choice because you have free will. There is not only one source of happiness (having kids) in life. That's the part I don't understand, with some people who have kids, that they can't seem to respect the choices of others. You had children, good for you! I'm not envious or critical of the path you've taken, why are you critical of mine...because you're envious?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,948,898 times
findly. My assumption was the the OP was primarily talking about men who don't want to commit and have children. Yes many men fear that the wife will change when they get married, they will have children, and since 70% of the time, women file for divorce, and women are the ones who don't want sex any more, they will end up divorced, forced to pay child support for children they rarely see, and also give up half their assets.

If women don't want to get married, have long term relationships, or have children I also understand that. Men can be nasty to be married to also, and children are certainly a burden, especially for a single mother. But it seems that most of the concern these days is men who don't want to settle down and get married/or commit to long term relationships.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:58 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,885,432 times
The responsibility seems to be the issue. I can get that. Some see having children worth the sacrifices for the enrichment a child can bring into a parent's life. Some don't. There may or may not be issues child-free people have with their own parents that make them feel the way they do. In fact, I'm sure upbringing plays a bigger factor than most would like to admit to themselves or others. Again not always the case, but I'm sure a strong correlation could be found with polling data.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,618,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
The responsibility seems to be the issue. I can get that. Some see having children worth the sacrifices for the enrichment a child can bring into a parent's life. Some don't. There may or may not be issues child-free people have with their own parents that make them feel the way they do. In fact, I'm sure upbringing plays a bigger factor than most would like to admit to themselves or others. Again not always the case, but I'm sure a strong correlation could be found with polling data.
Or it could be, that not everyone wants what you want. BTW, trying to plan your life to a T is a sure recipe for disaster. Just because you want 4 daughters at the age of 33, doesnt mean thats what you'll get. Better pray youre able to have any children at all, or your first born doesnt come out deformed with 2 weeks to live. Try being a little open minded, because even the title of this thread is offensive, to those who choose to live their own lives in the way that it makes sense to them. we are all unique individuals with vastly different perspectives on life. Respecting that would go a long way.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
See, ^^^ this right here is a perfect example of the undertone in this thread. Rather than having children being a choice for individuals to make, some feel the need to probe into the reasons behind people's choices, as if there's something that needs to be blamed, someone held responsible, for those who choose not to procreate. Why is that?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,313,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
See, ^^^ this right here is a perfect example of the undertone in this thread. Rather than having children being a choice for individuals to make, some feel the need to probe into the reasons behind people's choices, as if there's something that needs to be blamed, someone held responsible, for those who choose not to procreate. Why is that?
Because something HAS to be wrong with someone who doesn't want marriage and kids. Especially women. We must be certifiable. Locked in a padded room and straight jacketed, because it is our right...actually our duty to procreate

Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,161,632 times
Quote:
don't you owe it to the world to bring an awesome kid into it?
Why should someone feel they owe the world anything? I have a wife and children but it has sod all to do with feeling i owe something to anyone or anything..

On a wider note finding someone special and having children isn't for everyone. Some never want children and some aren't that fussed about having a long term relationship.

It's a matter of choice and if you know those things aren't for you then fair enough..

Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,885,432 times
Yes we must round up the child free peoples of the world and force them to reproduce with a gun to their head...

Why are some people thin skinned enough to be offended about a question asked in genuine curiosity? I don't view myself as superior. I'm sure there are factors that have contributed to my desire to have kids. Is it so wrong to admit that there may be factors that likewise didn't make you want to have kids?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Because something HAS to be wrong with someone who doesn't want marriage and kids. Especially women. We must be certifiable. Locked in a padded room and straight jacketed, because it is our right...actually our duty to procreate
Yep.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if they're projecting their issues onto the unmarried and childfree, because those of us not married or with kids had the free will to choose, while those that got married and had kids felt societal or family pressure to do so. Now they're resentful that they didn't choose another path for themselves and are jealous of those that did?

See what I did there? Make the same stupid, sweeping generalizations that are made regularly against those who choose not to marry and procreate.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:38 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,313,726 times
Quote:
Yes we must round up the child free peoples of the world and force them to reproduce with a gun to their head...

Why are some people thin skinned enough to be offended about a question asked in genuine curiosity? I don't view myself as superior. I'm sure there are factors that have contributed to my desire to have kids. Is it so wrong to admit that there may be factors that likewise didn't make you want to have kids?
It's wrong to assume that because someone chooses to be child free there must be something wrong with them (past, childhood, parents etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships