Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,293,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
If you found the person you couldn't imagine going through life without? Just seems so foreign to me. Is it because some haven't felt that way about anyone they ever dated before? Is it a trust issue? Mommy and daddy issues? If you can see everything the world has to offer in your SO, don't you owe it to the world to bring an awesome kid into it?
I don't think I want kids. The world is overpopulated as is. In fact, I think people should stop breeding because there aren't enough resources.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,710,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Your just a sack of sunshine aren't you? Umm I see why some people shouldn't have kids.
I'm a realist with a pessimistic view of the world. I tend to expect the negative aspect of the situation to occur. If History had a personality I'm sure it would be pessimistic as well.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,755,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Great point. In a world with such debt, men like Jerry Sandusky and James E. Holmes, I think I would feel guilty for bringing someone into this mess of a place.
Not me. It's also a world of really great people and things.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,864,109 times
My dad is a great guy but was raised without a father. When he was raising me, he didn't always say the nicest things or parent the way most "ideal" parents do. As I grew up, there was always a part of me that felt empty and I am sad deep down quite often because I feel like I have failed my father as a son.

I don't want to have kids until I am emotionally ready to because I don't want my kids, son or daughter, to feel what I feel and have felt for years. It's not a good feeling at all.

That was deep. But feels good to say it.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 PM

37,769 posts, read 46,244,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not me. It's also a world of really great people and things.
Agree with that.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 PM

2,634 posts, read 4,067,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I'm sure there would be other people to help. I just happen to have the opportunity to help. If my parents never had me. I doubt my non-existence would make as much of an impact as you make it out to be. It's up to the child who has no choice of being here to make something of his or herself. I never asked nor do I want to be here. What can you do? I'm not going to sulk over it nor am I going to hurt my friends by blowing my head off. You make the best out the situation. I'm sure you heard of the saying "Make chicken salad out of chicken s***".

EDIT: To be blatant with you, most of these kids I help shouldn't exist at all. Why? If the parents were smart enough to realize that in their predicament that they shouldn't procreate then you have me spending some of my resources on them. I don't have a problem with what I do but it's a tragedy to witness their problems. If I had a kid it would never be close to them (in terms of the horrendous quality of their upbringing) but even so I don't want one because I'm just one person in one household. There is a world beyond my doors and it's a s***hole.
Some of the most talented, successful people came from nothing/had less than ideal backgrounds. You have no idea. Imagine a world without the Beatles, Oprah Winfrey, Edgar Allen Poe, Coco Chanel, Whitney Houston, et al. You may/may not care for these people, but there are certainly people who appreciate(d) their existence and the impact they have made.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,483,865 times
because people want to focus on themselves or have become comfortable with how their life is without anything uprooting its foundation.

there is nothing wrong with it, to each their own make life what you wish from it

Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,710,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Some of the most talented, successful people came from nothing/had less than ideal backgrounds. You have no idea. Imagine a world without the Beatles, Oprah Winfrey, Edgar Allen Poe, Coco Chanel, Whitney Houston, et al. You may/may not care for these people, but there are certainly people who appreciate(d) their existence and the impact they have made.
Yet so many fall through the cracks. You are just naming a lucky few out of so many people. More people from those backgrounds fail at life than succeed. Honestly, I can imagine a world without them. It wouldn't be a bad place at all at least not because of their non-existence.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 AM

837 posts, read 1,289,754 times
I could never marry or have children because of other issues, but assuming that I could, I never would. Someone who grew up with my parents has no illusions on marriage. It doesn't work and will keep failing over and over again. People's egos are more important than other people, always have, always will.

I've always wanted to have children but I always knew that I shouldn't, at least not in this world. Having children is like d
firing a shot in the dark. You never know what will happen. There's absolutely no way back after they're here and you can never control the sort of trouble they can bring. It's a bit like a nuclear reaction, you always know how it starts, you never know how it ends.

Besides, the responsability is too big and not something that can just be worked out. People are the source of the world's troubles and my non-existent child will be one less unhappy person on this planet.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,340,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Your CHOICE doesn't affect others in anyway. It's when people try to force their choice onto others or act as if they are holier than thou because of their choice. Works both ways.
Again, has anyone ever told you that you're wrong from having kids?
Read this thread, people (including yourself) are telling childfree that they're wrong, selfish, wait until you have your own.

I provided links about child abuse.
Not everyone should breed.

Last edited by chielgirl; 07-24-2012 at 03:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships