Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,161,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
It's very simple.

Whether you choose to have kids or not or get married or not makes no difference.

The point is make sure you are doing it for the RIGHT reasons and not because what society, or someone else thinks or purely selfish reasons. Know yourself, know your partner, and what you can and can't handle and then make the decisions accordingly.
I'll 2nd that.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,866,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
If you found the person you couldn't imagine going through life without? Just seems so foreign to me. Is it because some haven't felt that way about anyone they ever dated before? Is it a trust issue? Mommy and daddy issues? If you can see everything the world has to offer in your SO, don't you owe it to the world to bring an awesome kid into it?
"owe it to the world"?? Are you aware how many humans are already on this planet and how exponential the growth rate is of our species? Many would say that refraining from bringing more humans into the world is one of the best things you can to for life on earth overall.

How can you be certain that your kid would be "awesome"? I bet the Colorado shooter's parents thought he was pretty "awesome", considering his seemingly bright future in neuroscience. There are no guarantees, even when parents "do everything right".

And more importantly, some people just aren't cut out to be parents and they know it--isn't it better for them to realize that BEFORE reproducing instead of "Damn, I wish I'd never had 'em"? Why is it your affair to tell people they have to have children, anyway...? If the population were actually shrinking and our survival were at stake, then pressure to "breed for the Motherland" would at least have some logic, but population is growing TOO fast, so those who help keep it in check are doing a good thing, if you ask me.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
"owe it to the world"?? Are you aware how many humans are already on this planet and how exponential the growth rate is of our species? Many would say that refraining from bringing more humans into the world is one of the best things you can to for life on earth overall.

How can you be certain that your kid would be "awesome"? I bet the Colorado shooter's parents thought he was pretty "awesome", considering his seemingly bright future in neuroscience. There are no guarnatees, even when parents "do everything right".
I stood and applauded. Rep has been bestowed upon you.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,329,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
You see what you want to see in my posts. I never said anyone was wrong for choosing not to have children. You're the type who tries to "prove" their choice is the right one. It's YOUR choice. Don't try to play victim and claim the child free group never claimed others are wrong.
Garbage, I directly quoted you.
What child free group?

Shall we review?
//www.city-data.com/forum/25310707-post231.html

Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,885,842 times
Seems like the people who are so hung up and defensive on what "normal" and "abnormal" is are the ones who claim that "society" has no role in the way they choose to live their lives.

So why do thoughts that are counter to what you believe in so threatening that you have to resort to personal attacks? If you really don't care, than show it by truly not caring.

Who have I told that doesn't want a kid that they should go have a kid? And if you don't want a kid, why get angry when I suggest that you wouldn't be a good parent?

Last edited by Philosophizer; 07-24-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM

22,413 posts, read 29,551,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
You know as well as I do that the rapture is only confined to places like Tampa, Modesto and New Jersey.

I don't lose any sleep over that as well!

Lol..I'm living in Tampa now..I also didn't expect to be going in the first place

Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,774,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Interesting that there aren't any threads from child-free people demanding explanations as why those with children, chose to have them. I bet their reasoning could just as easily be twisted around to be perceived as selfish.
We get them on the Parenting board. They come in waves. Someone pops in to resurrect a thread or open a new one about how kids are noisy and how being around screaming brats all the time must be such a drag. There are the typical accusations made back and forth about brainwashing, who's more selfish, that each camp is secretly envious of the other, and so on.

It's a very frequent topic.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 PM

629 posts, read 1,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Garbage, I directly quoted you.
What child free group?

Shall we review?
//www.city-data.com/forum/25310707-post231.html

Ugh. Your one of those. I won't get through to you without posting a fact for everything I say. I summarized the group who do not want to have children as the "child free group". Sorry if I didn't take the time to elaborate. Your direct quote of my words were posted but as I said before, you misinterpreted the meaning.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Seems like the people who are so hung up and defensive on what "normal" and "abnormal" is are the ones who claim that "society" has no role in the way they choose to live their lives.

So why do thoughts that are counter to what you believe in so threatening that you have to resort to personal attacks? If you really don't care, than show it by truly not caring.

Who have I told that doesn't want a kid that they should go have a kid? And if you don't want a kid, why get angry when I suggest that you wouldn't be a good parent?
Why do you immediately assume someone who rather not have children would make a bad parent? Do you assume that to make yourself feel better? "I don't want children." "Good because you would be a bad parent anyway."

Your suggestion is made because you feel insulted by someone who doesn't want to partake in such a hallowed experience as being a parent is made out to be. Then you try to find answers such as this thread in order to console yourself and wrap your head around why they won't breed. Some people find parenting to be overrated.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:48 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Why do you immediately assume someone who rather not have children would make a bad parent? Do you assume that to make yourself feel better? "I don't want children." "Good because you would be a bad parent anyway."

Your suggestion is made because you feel insulted by someone who doesn't want to partake in such a hallowed experience as being a parent is made out to be. Then you try to find answers such as this thread in order to console yourself and wrap your head around why they won't breed. Some people find parenting to be overrated.
Just figured a person who genuinely didn't want kids wouldn't put in the effort raising them that someone who wants kids would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships