Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,464,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Just wondering...do you have pets?

What does having pets have to do with not wanting kids? Pets are much easier to deal with anyhow.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 AM

442 posts, read 616,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
People who have children intentionally are selfish people. They're willing to expose a human to all the horror on the world just so they can feel fulfilled and have someone to care for them when they're old, can't stand people like that. If you want kids, be a decent human and adopt
1)Adoption isn't an easy path for many.

2)I don't know anyone who has kids specifically so that they'll have someone to take care of them when they are elderly. That might become the expectation later on....but it certainly isn't a guarantee, especially these days when kids end up getting jobs very far away.

The issue of who will take care of you when you are old isn't what this thread is about, but it is an interesting one. I've got a childless sibling. Based on what I've observed through my work....I'd bet my own kids would in some way be involved in taking care of her affairs when she gets older...there really is no one else.

Childless elderly people often expect their nieces and nephews to assist them as they get older.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,887,524 times
I wonder if some of the posters who vilify those who want and/or have kids feel the same way about their parents for bringing them into this world. I also wonder if they would support legislation limiting the number of children couples could have, if any at all.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,315,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I wonder if some of the posters who vilify those who want and/or have kids feel the same way about their parents for bringing them into this world.
I do. I firmly believe my parents should not have been allowed to procreate.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 AM

737 posts, read 1,151,902 times
Quote:
If you found the person you couldn't imagine going through life without? Just seems so foreign to me. Is it because some haven't felt that way about anyone they ever dated before? Is it a trust issue? Mommy and daddy issues? If you can see everything the world has to offer in your SO, don't you owe it to the world to bring an awesome kid into it?

Mommy and Daddy issues would have to do with why some people get married, not why some stay single.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM

218 posts, read 507,358 times
Quote:
I wonder if some of the posters who vilify those who want and/or have kids feel the same way about their parents for bringing them into this world.
I absolutely do. And I have pretty good parents.

Quote:
I also wonder if they would support legislation limiting the number of children couples could have, if any at all.
I do support pragmatic legislation, even if it goes against what people perceive as "freedom."

I would restrict the number of children a couple can have (the exact number depends on several factors) and forbid people who are clearly unable to support and properly raise kids from having them.

You're a couple making $18k a year who lives in a rented apartment and is drowning in debt? Sorry, you're gonna have to abort.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,708,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
I absolutely do. And I have pretty good parents.

I do support pragmatic legislation, even if it goes against what people perceive as "freedom."

I would restrict the number of children a couple can have (the exact number depends on several factors) and forbid people who are clearly unable to support and properly raise kids from having them.

You're a couple making $18k a year who lives in a rented apartment and is drowning in debt? Sorry, you're gonna have to abort.
I agree people want to exercise what they think is freedom and thrust the responsibility on the taxpayer. There's freedom and then there is stupidity. CF should actually get tax cuts I think for not requiring as much public service I think as those with children. I would really prefer to not be paying someone else's spawn.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,238,270 times
For those of you who suffered at the hands of your parents, your environment, and/or your own biochemistry that does suck, but it doesn't mean the world cannot be a fascinating and wonderous place for some people. While I agree that many probably shouldn't be procreating, good people certainly should if they desire.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 AM

218 posts, read 507,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
For those of you who suffered at the hands of your parents, your environment, and/or your own biochemistry that does suck, but it doesn't mean the world cannot be a fascinating and wonderous place for some people.
It certainly can be...But then again, for a lot of people it isn't.
As you yourself mentioned, what if your kid is born with a mental disease? Or a physical deformity? Or what if they're born perfectly healthy, but things just don't work out for them, emotionally, socially, or financially, and so they fall into depression as they grow older (like millions of people throughout the world)?

The truth is, it's an incredibly big gamble to make, and if things don't work out, both the parents and their kid(s) will suffer. And I think that the vast majority of couples that decide to have kids don't really think about things like these. All they care about is avoiding their pain and emptiness by finding yet another distraction.

Quote:
While I agree that many probably shouldn't be procreating, good people certainly should if they desire.
It's also important to remember that parents have actually relatively little control over the development of their kids. What really matters are things outside their control (like school, the environment the kid is born into, friends etc.) or consciousness.
There is so much brainwashing out there, so many things that will be with your subconscious until they day you die; being a parent is truly an enormous responsibility, and I believe that very, very few people can actually be good parents.
Most either just surrender to the environment and try to rationalize their mistakes ("s/he's gonna be alright"), or try to isolate their kids from society; both approaches are ultimately detrimental.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,887,524 times
Starting to think the hatred of humanity is the driving force behind not wanting kids now. If the world is overpopulated, who do you send to slaughter first? My guess is that none of the people who hate others for bringing life into this world will be the first to line up. And what makes your life any more valuable than a baby just leaving its mother's womb? The world isn't a fairly tale place. No parent I know is under the delusion that it is. But to declare that by coercive force, people should not be allowed to have children makes you just as big of an extremist as the dreaded catholic church for its stance on birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships