Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,885,842 times

Advertisements

I want that father son/daughter bond. I felt it as a child and I want to experience it as a parent. It's powerful. I wish every child was able to feel it growing up. Just thinking about it chokes me up. All the memories. I wouldn't trade them for all the riches in the world and that's the God's honest truth in how I feel about it. This is why it's so hard for me to "get" why someone who found their perfect partner wouldn't want to have a child of their own.

Last edited by Philosophizer; 07-23-2012 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,314,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I want that father son/daughter bond. I felt it as a child and I want to experience it as a parent. It's powerful. I wish every child was able to feel it growing up. Just thinking about it chokes me up. All the memories. I wouldn't trade them for all the riches in the world and that's the God's honest truth in how I feel about it. This is why it's so hard for me to "get" why someone how found their perfect partner wouldn't want to have a child of their own.
What if you have 4 girls? Or if the women you fall in love with has issues becoming pregnant?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
What if you have 4 girls? Or if the women you fall in love with has issues becoming pregnant?
I'd be happy with my four girls. I don't need a boy. I'd like to have a boy and a girl, but I'll be happy with whatever I end up with. And I wouldn't rule out adoption. The thought of a complete stranger taking in an unwanted child and raising them as their own warms my heart and soul.

My turn. If the man of your dreams strongly believed in marriage, would you go through with it?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I'd be happy with my four girls. I don't need a boy. I'd like to have a boy and a girl, but I'll be happy with whatever I end up with. And I wouldn't rule out adoption. The thought of a complete stranger taking in an unwanted child and raising them as their own warms my heart and soul.

My turn. If the man of your dreams strongly believed in marriage, would you go through with it?
No. That's why I bring it up ASAP. I don't think it's fair to date someone who doesn't see eye to eye with me, but I don't have to worry about it, I already have the man of my dreams (2 year relationship) and he doesn't want marriage either.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,031,783 times
Quote:
I want that father son/daughter bond. I felt it as a child and I want to experience it as a parent. It's powerful. I wish every child was able to feel it growing up. Just thinking about it chokes me up. All the memories. I wouldn't trade them for all the riches in the world and that's the God's honest truth in how I feel about it. This is why it's so hard for me to "get" why someone how found their perfect partner wouldn't want to have a child of their own.
There is so much more to having a child than that.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,957,973 times
Children are a whole life journey. A rollercoaster if you will. You have to be willing to take the ride with the highs and lows.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,707,443 times
People get so overly emotional about procreating that it makes me cringe. Honestly, I can't think of any practical reason in the western world to procreate. It's all based on emotions. I'm too pragmatic of a person or I'm not an emotional person at all (one of the two) to feel the need to procreate. The world is too crappy to be fixed anyway.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
No. That's why I bring it up ASAP. I don't think it's fair to date someone who doesn't see eye to eye with me, but I don't have to worry about it, I already have the man of my dreams (2 year relationship) and he doesn't want marriage either.
That's great that you found someone you are compatible with in regards to your lack of desire in getting married. I just think it's silly to dismiss/speak in such absolutes. I mean if the woman of my dreams was adamant about not getting married, I could live with it. As far as I'm concerned, marriage is between a couple and God anyway, regardless of whether or not it's sanctioned by the state or what documents you do or don't sign.

Hypothetically speaking (assuming you are madly in love with your current guy and want to spend the rest of your life with him), would you just up and leave if he expressed a desire to marry? It just seems like such a non issue either way.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
That's great that you found someone you are compatible with in regards to your lack of desire in getting married. I just think it's silly to dismiss/speak in such absolutes. I mean if the woman of my dreams was adamant about not getting married, I could live with it. As far as I'm concerned, marriage is between a couple and God anyway, regardless of whether or not it's sanctioned by the state or what documents you do or don't sign.

Hypothetically speaking (assuming you are madly in love with your current guy and want to spend the rest of your life with him), would you just up and leave if he expressed a desire to marry? It just seems like such a non issue either way.
I told him if he felt the need to ever marry me that I want to keep my last name, don't want a ceremony (besides a courtroom) and I would need him to sign a prenup. I think with all of those things in place that it was only further confirmed that we can just live forever without any need to define our relationship in terms of anything other then what it feels like for us. It works.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
People get so overly emotional about procreating that it makes me cringe. Honestly, I can't think of any practical reason in the western world to procreate. It's all based on emotions. I'm too pragmatic of a person or I'm not an emotional person at all (one of the two) to feel the need to procreate. The world is too crappy to be fixed anyway.
Great point. In a world with such debt, men like Jerry Sandusky and James E. Holmes, I think I would feel guilty for bringing someone into this mess of a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships