Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,891,672 times

Advertisements

I never claimed anyone was wrong or right. I'm just trying to figure out why some don't feel the need to reproduce and/or loathe the idea of having a kid to begin with. It defies evolution and Christianity. It seems like such a nihilistic endeavor.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:27 PM

442 posts, read 617,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Plenty of families do "just fine" by your standards, maybe...but others might disagree. I think that paying for college is absolutely essential to the decision to have a child. I believe that having a kid when you know you'll be in no place to fund further education is irresponsible. Obviously others disagree, but just because everyone else is jumping off a bridge doesn't mean I'm going to also.

Does a child need to go to summer camp, have family vacations, take music lessons, play on sports teams, or have enrichment classes? No. But I wouldn't bring a child into this world if I didn't think I could give that to them. Life changes, of course things won't go according to plan, but if the budget was already tight I wouldn't bring life into this world and expect them to just deal with only the very basics. That's not an enjoyable life to me, and I feel it would be selfish to force that on them.
I think that is fine for you. But by your standards many families wouldn't be able to have children.

As a parent who tries to give her kids some of these things, you can't always conceptualize the amount of money and time these activities will entail.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:27 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,224,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I never claimed anyone was wrong or right. I'm just trying to figure out why some don't feel the need to reproduce and/or loathe the idea of having a kid to begin with. It defies evolution and Christianity. It seems like such a nihilistic endeavor.
I'm not a Christian and plenty of people have defied evolution. That's why there's birth control

Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,237,115 times
Quote:
If you are worried about the financial and social burdens of having a kid, you aren't fit to be a parent.

I guess the government will pay for it right? 53% of all kids born in the last 10 years were paid for by medicaid.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,320,890 times
Quote:
It defies evolution and Christianity.
Ohhh, that explains it....nothing defines me but me. Not evolution, not religion, not marriage or kids. I exist regardless of any of that. If you chose to exist based on what a book or society expects/tells you, that's fine, but I like to live independently and make decisions based off of what I want for my life, not others.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,623,423 times
Quote:
Wanting to share my best qualities with the world be having a kid makes me selfish? Maybe a little narcissistic for thinking highly of myself (not so much if you keep it all in perspective from where you derived such qualities), but I think we should all share what we've been blessed with. I know my future kid is going to bring happiness to anyone that is lucky enough to be around him/her.
As I suspected, you didn't get what I was saying.

Basically, if your main reason for wanting to have kids is to "produce a mini me to benefit society" then honestly, you are not ready to have kids. That is not a mature or well thought out reason to have children. It's as you said a narcissistic one. Having children should NEVER be a selfish decision to make.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,625,449 times
Quote:
People simply prefer to live their lifes according to their own rules, not rules others try to force upon them. World is overpopulated as it is, so it certainly is not a necessity of any sort for each person to reproduce. Its simply a choice and a preference, and many have various reason for having or not having kids. And lets not get into inhobition we can be thankful to christianity for, because thats another conversation altogether. We are unique individuals, we are not sheep.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,062,897 times
Weird that you think most people's choices are fueled by Christian dogma.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,891,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Ohhh, that explains it....nothing defines me but me. Not evolution, not religion, not marriage or kids. I exist regardless of any of that. If you chose to exist based on what a book or society expects/tells you, that's fine, but I like to live independently and make decisions based off of what I want for my life, not others.
Too cool for school... Got it

Some folks had a few good ideas along the way. Might be wise to give them a glance before dismissing them as incompatible with an independent/free thinking lifestyle

Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,320,890 times
Quote:
Too cool for school... Got it
If school means religion, then yes

Quote:
Some folks had a few good ideas along the way. Might be wise to give them a glance before dismissing them as incompatible with an independent/free thinking lifestyle
You're right, a lot of those people who preached that the meaning of life is to marry and procreate also condemns homosexuality, women's role (or lack there of), a host of sins no one adheres to and a laundry lsit of other things I (and most people) dont agree/live by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships