Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,797,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
If you found the person you couldn't imagine going through life without? Just seems so foreign to me. Is it because some haven't felt that way about anyone they ever dated before? Is it a trust issue? Mommy and daddy issues? If you can see everything the world has to offer in your SO, don't you owe it to the world to bring an awesome kid into it?
But I don't like kids. Why would I want the burden of raising one myself?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:31 AM

44 posts, read 76,144 times
OP words their question, looking rather like an idiot, in nicer terms.
"owe"? Seriously?

Welp, to answer it... I don't want to marry for:
-I think it's useless. Having a paper telling you something, or giving the couple a title, is laughable
-It's the 21st century, and even if said couple wants kids, people in this day should be accepting you dont need mommy and daddy legally tied by the law. I assure you, there are a TON of "couples" out there, that would/can be better parents than a couple that shares the same last name and bank account.
-archaic concept

I don't plan on marrying my GF, ever... She's fine with that. Being law-tied doesn't make me love her any more. If we happen to grow together and every thing works out, I would for sure spend forever with her

I don't want kids (well, I genuinely don't think so...nor do I have ANY plans on it happening). Reasons:
-I don't want to be slowed down in my active / adventurous (so I think.) life... Mainly the active part. I see parents at the gym doing nothing but babysitting.. I see the parents at the park being bored out of their skull.. I see me, trapped in that role.
-I don't want to live for putting someones (ANOTHER person I mean, I already have a steady GF) needs before my own.

Call my reasons selfish, I'm fine with that. I'm sure you're happier to hear I'm selfish rather than me being a 60-70% father.

Oh, edit. To clarify. My parents marriage wasn't broken. My upbringing was fine. I just don't do something because it's expected of me, though... Mom thinks I'm going to get married and have kids, though, even after I've said elsewise.. Ahh, hopeful thinking... She's just hoping because my sister eloped and I'm the last of two kids

Old 07-23-2012, 11:39 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,332,460 times
I've wondered that myself. I can understand a person not wanting kids because they don't have enough money or are too old but if it's because you dislike kids and are worried about it cramming your lifestyle, then that's a little bit selfish. What does it say about a person when they don't like kids? We were all kids at one point, it's ridiculous and a contradiction to dislike kids.

For getting married but not having children, some couples get married late in life so they can't have kids or some people have kids from a previous marriage.

College- I don't know why so many brought that up. Yes college is expensive but the majority of the population doesn't have a college degree anyway. So most likely your kids won't graduate college.

I want a big family myself but due to the cost of living, 3 or 4 kids would probably be ideal for me.

Last edited by 90sman; 07-23-2012 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM

44 posts, read 76,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I've wondered that myself. I can understand a person not wanting kids because they don't have enough money or are too old but if it's because you dislike kids and are worried about it cramming your lifestyle, then that's a little bit selfish. What does it say about a person when they don't like kids? We were all kids at one point, it's ridiculous and a contradiction to dislike kids.
I want a big family myself but due to the cost of living, 3 or 4 kids would probably be ideal for me.
What does it say about a person who doesn't want kids? It means "you" shouldn't give a flying f, and if you DO, then be with someone who shares your same views.

Your statement about "ridiculous" and "contradiction" is so left field, it's mind boggling. You do not understand every one is different. This means, my mom and dad are different from me. They liked kids. Wanted me. That's fine. I don't "like" kids and don't want to have "bring myself to raise one". The cycle ends with me, you could say.

Don't act like people who don't want kids are lesser than you, or something is wrong with them. But hey, if you do, I'm staring right back at you going "... look at that freak...they like kids! lol!!!!!"

Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,892,995 times
I feel as though I need to share my gifts with the world. What better way than to pass on my genes to the next generation? Math whiz, moderately attractive, raised right, somewhat athletic, thinker, great taste in music. Okay, a lot of these things I owe to the way my parents raised me more than my genetics, but y'all get where I'm coming from. Why not put another quality human being on the earth if you've found the right partner to raise a child with?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 AM

22,450 posts, read 29,626,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

For getting married but not having children, some couples get married late in life so they can't have kids or some people have kids from a previous marriage.

College- I don't know why so many brought that up. Yes college is expensive but the majority of the population doesn't have a college degree anyway. So most likely your kids won't graduate college.

Then call me selfish. I don't like kids nor do I want them cramming my lifestyle

Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,892,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Then call me selfish. I don't like kids nor do I want them cramming my lifestyle
I'm not very fond of other people's kids. When they are your kid, I'd be willing to bet you'd feel differently.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,322,415 times
I'll take the selfish card over the having a kid because I have a vagina/money card any day!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,223,520 times
I can basically live a married man's lifestyle right now.(with more variety) I dont need a wedding or legal documents for that

Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM

22,450 posts, read 29,626,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I'm not very fond of other people's kids. When they are your kid, I'd be willing to bet you'd feel differently.

No because I don't want them in the first place. Nor would I take that idiotic way of thinking that way. Those are like the parents who's kids are A-holes but they sit there and say "not my kid". WTF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships