Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 AM

23 posts, read 33,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
"a lot" ????

Check your facts next time. Here are the stats on percentage of children in single parent families
by race =

Non-Hispanic White - 24%
Black or African American - 66%
American Indian - 52%
Asian and Pacific Islander - 16%
Hispanic or Latino - 41%
Total - 34%

Yeah, 16% sure is a lot...LOL.

Please do some research next time.

Source =
Children in single-parent families by race - Data Across States - KIDS COUNT Data Center

Yeah, that is the average of total Asian popluation. Indians and East asians( chinese, japanese,korean) have significantly lower number of single mom than other groups of asian ( filipinos,pacific islanders)

Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,704,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
"a lot" ????

Check your facts next time. Here are the stats on percentage of children in single parent families
by race =

Non-Hispanic White - 24%
Black or African American - 66%
American Indian - 52%
Asian and Pacific Islander - 16%
Hispanic or Latino - 41%
Total - 34%

Yeah, 16% sure is a lot...LOL.

Please do some research next time.

Source =
Children in single-parent families by race - Data Across States - KIDS COUNT Data Center

Perhaps they are the majority where HE LIVES. You are so hung up on race.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 AM

331 posts, read 604,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Your right, it doesn't make the man a loser. Here is what does make the man a loser: Why is the girl on a dating site when she had such an amazing man that got her pregnant? Shouldn't he step up to the plate and make her an honest woman? Where is he now? Lets say that they just decided to not get married and he is supporting her and the child. Do you know of anyone in that situation that is supporting an out of wedlock child and the mom that he got pregnant? If you do know one that is steping up to the plate how many more do you know that are not steping up to the plate. I bet that you would have maybe 5% of guys that would help out if they chose not to get married. With younger guys, and I am only assuming that 19 year old women that have 5 year old kids were with younger guys, I doubt that many of them can support the woman and her child in the first place. They can hardly support themselves.

That does lead us to another point. How many 19 to 25 year old girls with kids do you know that are able to support themselves? I seem to have read that many of them don't make it to college and chances are don't have the kind of job to support themselves at that age. Then again some people seem to think that the men that got them pregnant are decent blokes that will step up to the plate and take care of their new families.

^^ I was 19 when I found out that I was pregnant; already had a full time job, my car and my own apartment. I had been supporting myself since my HS graduation at 17. But was I ready to be responsible for caring full time for a child...No! But in my mind we would make it work-regardless of how hard it was going to be. Then dad decided to go AWOL....
I am a single mom, and yes, I was on state help for a couple years, never gotten a dime of child support, went back to college, always working full time and up the ladder I go....We have made it!!!!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,224,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
I don't know if I agree or disagree with this statement. Myself for instance, I'm much happier now in my mid 30s with relationships, than I was as a teen or 20s. I seemed to always pick a "crazy chick." In the past 7 years, I've been as happy as can be, though.

1. With age I matured and got better at picking people for other values than besides how sexy they are.
2. With age I matured and became less of a loser myself.
3. Viewing relationships through my youth, I am completely unable to look at the other party objectively.

I suppose all three, for me, are valid.
Me too. I had some crazy guys I dated. When I stopped and thought about the kind of man I wanted I had to consider if I was that kind of person myself. Ultimately, it's about the decisions and choices we make. Anyhow, my point is that women are not some monolithic group that are making decisions in unison about children and it's not as if only men are the losers knocking up women. Birds of a feather and all.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 AM

382 posts, read 826,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
So as long as the single mom is educated and has been married before it's okay?

Also why is black being brought into this(as usual on Citydata). I wish people would stop fixating on the ills going on the black community and let us worry about it ourselves. Obviously children of single mom's have a lot disadvantages. But I don't remember reading a study that said "but single mom's that had educations and were married have much better kids"--if you have point it out.

If a man doesn't want to date a single mom, he just shouldn't. Doesn't matter what his reason is. Most people don't want to raise another person's child, no matter what the circumstance is(even if the woman was married, or has an education). I have a friend that is newly a single mom--she was married and is divorced. She just got her bachelors. There are men who give her flack for being a single mom. She is attractive and is a catch, but there are men that don't want to parent her child. So yes she gets eliminated.

On the flip-side, because she is attractive, and is taking care of her child as best as she can without feeling like she needs a man, there are some men that will still consider her, and she doesn't want for dates.

I see single mom's like i see any other dating preference--either you would date one, or you won't. Neither choice is wrong or bad. You do what you have to do, and date who you want.
We bring it up because "we" are tired of paying for other people who have kids that cannot afford them. THe black community should deal with their problems but they don't. Too busy blaming everyone else. Want others to stop focusing on the fact that 3/4 of black children are in single parent households and are living in Poverty? Then stop taking taxpayer money to support those kids. If the taxpayers are paying for people's kids then they sure as heck have a voice in this. As for race, are you really asking why people focus on the popation with 75% of their kids out of wedlock vs. 16%?? Ignoring the facts won't make he issue magically go away.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,848,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
We bring it up because "we" are tired of paying for other people who have kids that cannot afford them. THe black community should deal with their problems but they don't. Too busy blaming everyone else. Want others to stop focusing on the fact that 3/4 of black children are in single parent households and are living in Poverty? Then stop taking taxpayer money to support those kids. If the taxpayers are paying for people's kids then they sure as heck have a voice in this. As for race, are you really asking why people focus on the popation with 75% of their kids out of wedlock vs. 16%?? Ignoring the facts won't make he issue magically go away.
And you excuse the fact that white people are on welfare, and also take aid. They take taxpayer money as well. Do you have problem with them doing? Or is just the black single mom's that bother you?

And I don't take taxpayer money to support MY kid. So don't lump me in with the people that are. But let me guess because I'm a woman of color with a child, I'm taking your money to support my child? And black people are always blaming others? You're very ignorant. Let me guess your only interaction with black folks is through the television. I know not a one black person blaming you or any other white person for their ills. But nice try. Your blanket generalization pretty much says all I needed to know about the type of narrow-minded ignorant person that YOU are.

My "so" is a taxpayer and he is a man of color. We aren't all on welfare, anymore than white folks are. No one is ignoring the issue, but I'm just trying to understand why it is relevant to this thread. This man didn't say there is unusual amount of single BLACK moms, he said single moms period. So it isn't limited to race. And I'm assuming he is a white male or a nonblack male that isn't checking for black women anyway. But of course you used this thread to insert an irrelevant statistic about black children being born in single mom households. It had nothing to do with the OP, which is probably why it was ignored by the OP. And then you inserted about how the men shouldn't overlook single educated women with children. LOL. It's like you were too dense to understand that this man is not interested in dating a single mom period--no matter what her circumstance is. Whether she is a welfore mommy or a divorced educated mommy, she is still a mommy!!!! And he doesn't want to date one. That simple.

For the record maybe you and other taxpayers should start looking into your own community, because what I am seeing is that MORE and MORE women of other races becoming single mom's as well. Obviously it is no longer just a "black" thing.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,925,543 times
Quote:
Registered republican, correct?

Last edited by bicoastal10; 07-26-2012 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,704,943 times
Quote:
Would you help pay to transports Blacks back to Africa?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM

23 posts, read 33,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
And you excuse the fact that white people are on welfare, and also take aid. They take taxpayer money as well. Do you have problem with them doing? Or is just the black single mom's that bother you?

And I don't take taxpayer money to support MY kid. So don't lump me in with the people that are. But let me guess because I'm a woman of color with a child, I'm taking your money to support my child? And black people are always blaming others? You're very ignorant. Let me guess your only interaction with black folks is through the television. I know not a one black person blaming you or any other white person for their ills. But nice try. Your blanket generalization pretty much says all I needed to know about the type of narrow-minded ignorant person that YOU are.

My "so" is a taxpayer and he is a man of color. We aren't all on welfare, anymore than white folks are. No one is ignoring the issue, but I'm just trying to understand why it is relevant to this thread. This man didn't say there is unusual amount of single BLACK moms, he said single moms period. So it isn't limited to race. And I'm assuming he is a white male or a nonblack male that isn't checking for black women anyway. But of course you used this thread to insert an irrelevant statistic about black children being born in single mom households. It had nothing to do with the OP, which is probably why it was ignored by the OP. And then you inserted about how the men shouldn't overlook single educated women with children. LOL. It's like you were too dense to understand that this man is not interested in dating a single mom period--no matter what her circumstance is. Whether she is a welfore mommy or a divorced educated mommy, she is still a mommy!!!! And he doesn't want to date one. That simple.

For the record maybe you and other taxpayers should start looking into your own community, because what I am seeing is that MORE and MORE women of other races becoming single mom's as well. Obviously it is no longer just a "black" thing.
Actually I am an asian man, chinese!!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,848,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northfleet View Post
Actually I am an asian man, chinese!!
Reread what I wrote, I said that you were probably either a white man or a nonblack man--an asian man is a nonblack man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.