Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,260,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Its a few months older but the NYT as well as the WPost are finally ackowledging the rapid growths of single moms across the country of all classes and races. Sensationalism at its best.
Not all classes (that's what you wish, God knows why). Read it again. Both clearly note a class divide. eta: The name of the article mystical linked is actually called Two Classes divided by I do. Obviously, that's not the only division.

etaa: Maybe this will help you better understand...

Quote:
But striking changes in family structure have also broadened income gaps and posed new barriers to upward mobility. College-educated Americans like the Faulkners are increasingly likely to marry one another, compounding their growing advantages in pay. Less-educated women like Ms. Schairer, who left college without finishing her degree, are growing less likely to marry at all, raising children on pinched paychecks that come in ones, not twos.
Quote:
“It is the privileged Americans who are marrying, and marrying helps them stay privileged,” said Andrew Cherlin, a sociologist at Johns Hopkins University.

About 41 percent of births in the United States occur outside marriage, up sharply from 17 percent three decades ago. But equally sharp are the educational divides, according to an analysis by Child Trends, a Washington research group. Less than 10 percent of the births to college-educated women occur outside marriage, while for women with high school degrees or less the figure is nearly 60 percent.
Quote:
Long concentrated among minorities, motherhood outside marriage now varies by class about as much as it does by race.
Married couples are having children later than they used to, divorcing less and investing heavily in parenting time. By contrast, a growing share of single mothers have never married, and many have children with more than one man.
The above is key.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 08-02-2012 at 04:48 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 04:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,145,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Obviously MA is an academic leader nationally, but the state ranks high globally as well.
Oh of course, MIT, overrated Harvard.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Oh of course, MIT, overrated Harvard.
Yea, MIT. Although, Harvard is far from overrated. The science and medicine coming out of Harvard makes the institution a giant globally. And there are dozens of uni's and colleges in this area. It's not just higher education. Our young people excel globally as well.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Not all classes (that's what you wish, God knows why). Read it again. Both clearly note a class divide. eta: The name of the article mystical linked is actually called Two Classes divided by I do. Obviously, that's not the only division.

etaa: Maybe this will help you better understand...

The above is key.
I was talking about the article I posted. it was said single moms was only associated with poor people and minorities but now has creeped its way up in Middle America. Single motherhood is increasing amongst whites. Also to the left side of the article it shows a bat graph of how being educated affects the outcome on which woman will be mostly single mothers. Single motherhood grew on women withoit degrees, women with some college and as well graduates even though that number is low its still climbing. An alarming trend Id say. NYT is going to post more types of these single mom articles, it looks like NYT wants bring.this light to a national attention. Both NYT articles complement each other by showing the disadvantages of a single mother.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-02-2012 at 05:10 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Yea, MIT. Although, Harvard is far from overrated. The science and medicine coming out of Harvard makes the institution a giant globally. And there are dozens of uni's and colleges in this area. It's not just higher education. Our young people excel globally as well.
Lol Zuckerberg and Bill gates are not from Massachusettes

Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I was talking about the article I posted. it was said single moms was only associated with poor people and minorities but now has creeped its way up in Middle America. Single motherhood is increasing amongst whites. Also to the left side of the article it shows a bat graph of how being educated affects the outcome on which woman will be mostly single mothers. Single motherhood grew on women withoit degrees, women with some college and as well graduates even though that number is low its still climbing. An alarming trend Id say. NYT is going to post more types of these single mom articles, it looks like NYT wants bring.this light to a national attention.
I'll say again, it's a class issue. It's not a race issue. It's less than 10% for college grads and those women make up the IVF's, the women who largely choose single parenthood, etc. Some college shows a person who had no business being in college to begin with (although god knows how people like you manage to get degrees, even if the major is fluff). The articles clearly note this, so don't expect the highly educated to be slumming it any time soon. What will continue to happen is disparity between the haves and the have nots. The haves now have marriage. It is curious that it bothers you, tho.

Quote:
Lol Zuckerberg and Bill gates are not from Massachusettes
Anything else of irrelevance you want to share?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,824,651 times
Quote:
Its the norm in most places. Id your a decent guy you will get leftovers.
i wouldn't say most places, just some places. you live in the bronx, correct? that may be affecting your perspective.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I'll say again, it's a class issue. It's not a race issue. It's less than 10% for college grads and those women make up the IVF's, the women who largely choose single parenthood, etc. Some college shows a person who had no business being in college to begin with (although god knows how people like you manage to get degrees, even if the major is fluff). The articles clearly note this, so don't expect the highly educated to be slumming it any time soon. What will continue to happen is disparity between the haves and the have nots. The haves now have marriage. It is curious that it bothers you, tho.

Anything else of irrelevance you want to share?
motherhood without marriage has settled deeply into middle America. The fastest growth in the last two decades has occurred among white women in their 20s who have some college education but no four-year degree, according to Child Trends, a Washington research group that analyzed government data.

Thats from the NYT. It is a class issue but now white s are feeling the ripple. Lol my major is fluff, I dont have a degree jounalism, or no degree in humanities, or fine arts.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-02-2012 at 06:12 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
motherhood without marriage has settled deeply into middle America. The fastest growth in the last two decades has occurred among white women in their 20s who have some college education but no four-year degree, according to Child Trends, a Washington research group that analyzed government data.

Thats from the NYT. It is a class issue but now white s are feeling the ripple
The racial aspect is important to you. I get that. The disparity is color blind. There's a significant segment of our society that do not value family, do not value intelligence and do not really contribute. It's paraded on this forum every day. But, the level of stupidity is astounding. Those of you who complain about it sit in the belly of the beast yourselves.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Thats from the NYT. It is a class issue but now white s are feeling the ripple. Lol my major is fluff, I dont have a degree jounalism, or no degree in humanities, or fine arts.
You have a degree in journalism and yet you write like an 8 year old. I have lost all respect for the CUNY system.

eta: A degree in Journalism from a criminal justice college?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/15337400-post25.html

Quote:
I have an associates in liberal arts and a bachelors degree in criminal justice
https://www.city-data.com/forum/18813492-post10.html

Last edited by Braunwyn; 08-02-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships