Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Uggh, no what would make me feel better is that people not use those effin' devices as an excuse for typing slop. I'm not singling you out, by the way...but this 3rd grade writing style I see so prevalent online really gets to me.

By the way, it's "grammar", not "grammer". Are you going to blame that on your device, too?
Grammer is some how saved on my swype. Yo we're getting off topic here. It would be better if we correspond by email?

Old 08-02-2012, 02:24 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
At some point, the culture of casual sex is going to have to end if we don't want to degenerate into a 3rd world country. Sorry to say, but I think women are going to have to be the ones to end it. I'm not saying it's fair, but it's what is.
I don't think it's going to end, nor should it. If people want to have casual sex, that's fine.

Not everyone wants relationships or marriage or anything like that, some people want to have tons of casual sex and that's great!

It's just not for me.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:41 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Wasn't looking dear, clearly stating an observation, a bit insecure with that assumption eh? no surprise.
What assumption? You clearly stated your reasoning. You brought it up and now you're saying you didn't. Ok. It didn't dawn on me, but it's telling that's it's concerning to you.

Quote:

That was kind of funny.

If thats the case, then clearly you've been running around dusting off your vagina. All those cobwebs, I'd reckon it's done a good job of impairing your ability to rationalize (no worries, you provide lots of humor).
Funny and the truth. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be rationalizing.

Quote:
Well duh its obvious, we're both similar ages and from the same metropolitan area. As men we've seen lots of similar things that have affected other men in our generation.
Absolutely, although in that argument (the one Bronx and I were having) he attempts to cross depressed urbanized America and catapult those values and realities in every direction. It's off the mark and I'm confident he only does so because he doesn't know any better. And that's where I got involved in the conversation.

Quote:
No, this is a different and much more tragic case. It's a bit ironic writing this right now, about a week ago I won an award/prize based on her recommendation. I had the chance to speak with her a few days ago, in my opinion I would say its a feeling associated with some regret. Its a bit like leaving something in a condition worse than when you found it. I don't lose any sleep over it but as I wrote, I've known this woman for a long time and I wouldn't be who I am (as an artist) if it weren't for her rigorous training.
It's good that you benefited from her. I'm not sure what the point is, tho. She has regret. Ok, so do millions of people. She made her choices.

Quote:
There are those who are ambitious and there are those who are content. Careerist, career minded etc. those are terms that are frequently clutched tightly by those with as much potential as "Ellsworth Toohey".
We actually agree on something and that's a good analogy.

Quote:
I would agree on that.

As BxG says "Yuppie", or as my father says "Buppie/Burpy" lolz
Yuppie is parody, but it's antithesis is of equal value. To me that is the Bronxguyanese persona. The consequences of class, OTOH, is beyond parody. I'm motivated to discuss this, but I don't you give a flying fig, so I won't.

Quote:
That should be a rhetorical question.

Most don't want to comprehend anything past a facebook status or the maximum amount of twitter characters.
I try not to extrapolate what I see here onto America at large. Hopefully, that's the correct approach. If not, we're in trouble.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 08-02-2012 at 02:53 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Uggh, no what would make me feel better is that people not use those effin' devices as an excuse for typing slop. I'm not singling you out, by the way...but this 3rd grade writing style I see so prevalent online really gets to me.

By the way, it's "grammar", not "grammer". Are you going to blame that on your device, too? Oh that's right, I must be a judgmental jerk with no life for pointing out to people with college degrees that they should know how to spell 6th grade level spelling words. I wonder if that kind of attitude is why America consistently ranks at the bottom in education compared to all the other developed countries...hmmmm.
I read it in the education forum all the time. Degrees are passed out willy nilly. This is why type of degree matters these days. Not that the humanities were not rigorous and worthy in the past. They certainly were. But, this watered down, supposed higher education system available to just about anybody for a price threatens that value. To comment on our nation's ranking, if you look at it by state, rather than country, some of our states still rank at the top. Massachusetts is one of them. We rank in the top three globally (last I heard) in the maths and sciences.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:24 AM

mysticaltyger, thank you for posting that article. It's a must read for threads like this. I'll link again in case any missed it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/us...?_r=2&emc=eta1

Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
mysticaltyger, thank you for posting that article. It's a must read for threads like this. I'll link again in case any missed it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/us...?_r=2&emc=eta1
Also read this. The once industrial town of Lorain in ohio has 63% of single moms. This article shed some new light on single motherhood.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/us...pagewanted=all

Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
I read it in the education forum all the time. Degrees are passed out willy nilly. This is why type of degree matters these days. Not that the humanities were not rigorous and worthy in the past. They certainly were. But, this watered down, supposed higher education system available to just about anybody for a price threatens that value. To comment on our nation's ranking, if you look at it by state, rather than country, some of our states still rank at the top. Massachusetts is one of them. We rank in the top three globally (last I heard) in the maths and sciences.
Is that globally or nationally? Be honest!

Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Also read this. The once industrial town of Lorain in ohio has 63% of single moms. This article shed some new light on single motherhood.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/us...pagewanted=all
It's a similar article to what mystical posted. It highlights a class divide via education. My own experience coincides with both articles.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
It's a similar article to what mystical posted. It highlights a class divide via education. My own experience coincides with both articles.
Its a few months older but the NYT as well as the WPost are finally ackowledging the rapid growths of single moms across the country of all classes and races. Sensationalism at its best.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Is that globally or nationally? Be honest!
Obviously MA is an academic leader nationally, but the state ranks high globally as well.

eta:

TIMSS Results Place Massachusetts Among World Leaders in Math and Science
http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=4457

Last edited by Braunwyn; 08-02-2012 at 04:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships