Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 09:53 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
With that said, I read something recently that mentioned that the average global IQ is starting to dip, which isn't surprising.
Can you post the link! I'm interested in reading about that. Please.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm not a proponent, rather just taking note. With that said, I read something recently that mentioned that the average global IQ is starting to dip, which isn't surprising.
Yeah, and the epicenter is CD.......

Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Yeah, a lot of single moms and I don't care either way, until they start to hit on me ...

Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yeah, a lot of single moms and I don't care either way, until they start to hit on me ...
Tell them you just got out of jail for non payment of child support, that should do it.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northfleet View Post
It seems that about 8 of every 10 profiles I look at on a dating websit, it is a single mother.

I could understand if they were in their late 20's early 30's and were in a LTR or divorced. But I see an overwhelming 19-13 y/o's with kids, and they have no clue what a LTR even is.

there was one on here, that was 19, with a 5 y/o, you do the math.

Is it so hard for women not to have kids? I am 27, and I have none.(that I know of-lol)
That a bit young.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:27 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,853,391 times
Default It's Not You

Quote:
Is it just me, or is there an unusual amount of single mothers

It seems that about 8 of every 10 profiles I look at on a dating website, it is a single mother.
This is a problem that has existed for decades but the current economy and the dearth of men who will put up with this anymore has made the "problem" more apparent.

At one time, young women could throw themselves at the guys who impressed their girlfriends, have their kids and still find a decent guy to pay the bills. Gradually at first and rapidly in the past decade and a half, single men have backed away from this.

Unfortunately, this has not percolated down to the streets. Girls and young women still are basing their decisions based on what worked for their mother or in some cases, their granny!

Quote:
Is it so hard for women not to have kids? I am 27, and I have none.(that I know of-lol)
Intelligent women who want to put them off seem to have little or no problem. Perhaps the rest live too chaotic a life to take birth control seriously. Maybe they don't care or think it doesn't matter.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
That's a good point. For every single mother out there, there's a father who may or may not be involved in that child's life. No sense condemning the single mom for having a kid at her age because it took more than just her for that to happen.
Nonsense. You take care of yourself. Nobody else will do it for you, except those guys who want to make something of themselves. They use protection or abstain if it isn't available.

This explains why there are fewer and fewer "good men".

Old 07-28-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I never had any "hit on me", probably because I avoided places where they can be found. However, I certainly had my share of women telling me to man up and make one of them lucky.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:35 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
please stop with all the bad boys nonsense. men in general don't like wearing them and even so called 'nice guys' don't always step up to the plate.
Always great to see women step up to the plate.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:23 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Can you post the link! I'm interested in reading about that. Please.
I can't remember the exact article I was reading, but here's something from a mag...

Quote:
The notion that intelligence across the world may be in decline was first inferred by Lentz (1927) in the U.S., who made an observation that intelligent couples were having fewer kids than those with average intelligence. This conjecture has been confirmed by studies like that of Hernstein and Murray (1994), who demonstrated that in the U.S. females with an average IQ of 111 had 1.6 children, whereas females with an average IQ of 81 had 2.6 children.

The link between high IQ and fewer kids is known as dysgenic fertility. Because intelligence to an extent is heritable, it was postulated that intelligence across the world may be in decline. When empirical studies measuring intelligence of people across the world were conducted it was discovered that intelligence across the world was actually rising. This phenomenon is now known as the Flynn effect due to extensive work done by Flynn (1984) in confirming the aforementioned phenomena.
How the world's IQ is in decline - National cognitive science | Examiner.com

You can read the rest in the link above. It goes on to cover genotypic IQ (what we inherit) and phenotypic (environmental influences) and how both are now found to be dipping.

The movie idocracy covers dysgenic factors to a degree. All in all, less intelligent people have more children. Specifically, less intelligent mothers. It makes me think of my best friend. She has one child and she's attempting to put her 4 year old (5 in September) into a special pre-school. An IQ test was required for entrance and her kid's composite IQ is 143, which is quite high. That's one child for two intelligent parents and it's obviously not meeting a replacement rate.

I found this article from a soc prof at some uni. I've only read a little bit of it and the paragraph breaks aren't good enough, so it makes it a tough read.

The Decline In Average I.Q.

This study addresses dysgenic fertility and declining global IQ, but not everyone here will be able to open it. I can grab it at work and bring it in for any interested
ScienceDirect.com - Intelligence - The decline of the world's IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, and the epicenter is CD.......
We can see the decline in action!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships