Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,083,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
motherhood without marriage has settled deeply into middle America. The fastest growth in the last two decades has occurred among white women in their 20s who have some college education but no four-year degree, according to Child Trends, a Washington research group that analyzed government data.

Thats from the NYT. It is a class issue but now white s are feeling the ripple. Lol my major is fluff, I dont have a degree jounalism, or no degree in humanities, or fine arts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You have a degree in journalism and yet you write like an 8 year old. I have lost all respect for the CUNY system.

eta: A degree in Journalism from a criminal justice college?
//www.city-data.com/forum/15337400-post25.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/18813492-post10.html

I never said I earned a degree in Journalism you poptart. I said I dont or have any other useless degrees which collects debt and adds no real world job prospects to no where. As for you it looks like your having a field day on this thread. Do you ever get any sleep? Does your husband pleasure you at night instead seek out pleasure on CD? Guess not! You are acting very childish on this thread. I'm happy you like to dig up dirt on people, hopefully it makes you happy. I can careless. Wait a minute you went through all of that to back track a year or two prior to check on what I post, wow you really have no life. Shame on you!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-02-2012 at 07:19 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Interesting article. But I don't know if I would attribute single parenthood to being the big reason the middle class is shrinking. There are elective single moms that have the education and financial resources to have children. They aren't working class, or middle class ether. Sometimes they adopt, other times they do this through a sperm donor. These women can afford it. Of course I'll admit that it's a small portion of single mom's that fit that criteria. Another thing to consider, what of the single parents that aren't necessarily single? These are parents that aren't married, but that live together, share financial responsibilities, rear their child, and in some situations these are educated individuals. The census does not include those that are not married but in relationships into their data. Which lately seems to be somewhat of trend amongst the people in my age group. I know a few girls that are currently pregnant and in serious relationships, with no plans of marriage discussed as of yet. They live with there partners and they are educated. Some are pretty liberal and aren't that concerned with having the "title" of marriage, others for whatever reason never made the plunge but are planning to sometime soon.
I agree you, also I'm sure there is a direct correlation between the increase of single moms and the decline of the middle class here in America but no one at the moment has not come up with data to bridge the two extremes.

Quote:
The racial aspect is important to you. I get that. The disparity is color blind. There's a significant segment of our society that do not value family, do not value intelligence and do not really contribute. It's paraded on this forum every day. But, the level of stupidity is astounding. Those of you who complain about it sit in the belly of the beast yourselves.
Stop jumping the shotgun.

No the racial aspect is not important to me, I just mentioned single motherhood is growing amongst the middle class and white, that was it, its not an important topic for me, maybe its an important topic for you. The only issue that is important is the rise of single mothers and the struggles single mothers have to face when they are alone. A single mom is a single mom regardless of her race or even class.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,225,943 times
Quote:
I said I dont or have any other useless degrees which collects debt and adds no real world job prospects to no where.
I thought you were fibbing since a degree in journalism would hold more prestige than a degree in CJ. I was wrong on that one. Although, CJ is just as useless.
Quote:
As for you it looks like your having a field day on this thread. Do you ever get any sleep? Does your husband pleasure you at night instead seek out pleasure on CD? Guess not!
I was getting up that early, not going to bed that late. And please don't think about my sex life. Worry about your icky self.
Quote:
You are acting very childish on this thread. I'm happy you like to dig up dirt on people, hopefully it makes you happy. I can careless. Wait a minute you went through all of that to back track a year or two prior to check on what I post, wow you really have no life. Shame on you!
There's an easy to use search function on this forum, Bronx. It takes two seconds to find what people are about. Although, I wasn't specifically seeking out what you did for a living. I was shocked by the journalism misunderstanding on my part (rightly so).

Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
No the racial aspect is not important to me, I just mentioned single motherhood is growing amongst the middle class and white, that was it, its not an important topic for me, maybe its an important topic for you. The only issue that is important is the rise of single mothers and the struggles single mothers have to face when they are alone. A single mom is a single mom regardless of her race or even class.
Yes it is important to you. You have mentioned it several times. I don't believe you, or any other member of your cohort, gives a rat's behind about single mothers of any creed.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Yes it is important to you. You have mentioned it several times. I don't believe you, or any other member of your cohort, gives a rat's behind about single mothers of any creed.
Oh Jesus Christmas.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
We don't get it as a culture. There is too much emphasis on love/attraction and not enough on character.
This is no brainer and I do agree! Rep for you.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Obviously MA is an academic leader nationally, but the state ranks high globally as well.

eta:

TIMSS Results Place Massachusetts Among World Leaders in Math and Science
TIMSS Results Place Massachusetts Among World Leaders in Math and Science- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
That was four years ago and the assesment test was given out in 2007 so techincally thats five years ago. Rankings change all the time.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,313,228 times
Quote:

Yuppie is parody, but it's antithesis is of equal value. To me that is the Bronxguyanese persona. The consequences of class, OTOH, is beyond parody. I'm motivated to discuss this, but I don't you give a flying fig, so I won't.
No, I actually do care about the discussion of class. I'm from a very blue collar neighborhood that just happens to be surrounded by some of the wealthiest communities in the country. My parents worked hard so that me and my siblings could have the chance for opportunities to progress. When I was a boy my dad took me to the library quite often and he'd expose me to writers like Thomas Mann, Zola, Auden etc . I didn't understand what he was trying to do back then but I'm fully aware now and very thankful. Culture is a huge driver of class, ultimately determining whether we will sink or swim. Right now we're in the midst of drowning, too many culture parasites hold way more weight and sway than they should.

Quote:
I try not to extrapolate what I see here onto America at large. Hopefully, that's the correct approach. If not, we're in trouble.
I'm a fairly optimistic guy, but its plain to see that there's an unacknowleged decline occurring.

(I don't know how guys can type on iPhones, this feels like an exercise in dexterity)

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
That was four years ago and the assesment test was given out in 2007 so techincally thats five years ago. Rankings change all the time.
Children from 4 years ago are still in the system. And no, rankings don't change all the time. There are trends and the fact that MA is an academic Mecca speaks to why, in part, the state's children do well. Is it really that complicated for you?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
No, I actually do care about the discussion of class. I'm from a very blue collar neighborhood that just happens to be surrounded by some of the wealthiest communities in the country. My parents worked hard so that me and my siblings could have the chance for opportunities to progress. When I was a boy my dad took me to the library quite often and he'd expose me to writers like Thomas Mann, Zola, Auden etc . I didn't understand what he was trying to do back then but I'm fully aware now and very thankful. Culture is a huge driver of class, ultimately determining whether we will sink or swim. Right now we're in the midst of drowning, too many culture parasites hold way more weight and sway than they should.
Ok, great.

What your dad did with you is key and that's exactly why class matters and shows how it's not necessarily about money. The mother's/father's health, prenatal care, parental involvement, and then opportunity. That is what matters for development (in order as I understand it) and it will account for the widening gap of disparity in this country. The way things are going could get to a point of no return. At the very least the pendulum appears to be swinging. I could not agree with you more IRT cultural parasites. That's an on point analogy.

Quote:
I'm a fairly optimistic guy, but its plain to see that there's an unacknowleged decline occurring.

(I don't know how guys can type on iPhones, this feels like an exercise in dexterity)
I'm on my phone right now. Anyhow, yea there's a decline. It makes sense and it's
About who is and is not reproducing (to state the obvious) as well as our expected standards of living in the west. The latter umbrellas consumerism, it's mental framework, and that affects values and priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.