Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:45 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times

Advertisements

20 is pretty acceptable for kids these days. they seem to all want to stick it out at home until they have EVERYTHING they need the way they want it....and even then they still seem to have a few excuses left as to why they cant move out.

as long as you are driven and motivated with a plan or obtainable goals in mind, i wouldn't worry about it too much.
just enjoy life

Last edited by rego00123; 08-20-2012 at 01:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
20 is pretty acceptable for kids these days. they seem to all want to stick it out at home until they have EVERYTHING they need the way they want it....and even then they still seem to have a few excuses left as to why they cant move out.

as long as you are driven and motivated with a plan or obtainable goals in mind, i wouldn't worry about it too much.
just enjoy life

Well of course they do! If they actually move out on their own, all of their "spending" money will be eaten up in BILLS!! What they don't realize is....most of us were so THRILLED to actually be making enough money to say, "Thank gawd! There was enough money to pay ALL of the bills this month, and I had enough for Top Ramen, too!!"

It's laughable that so many of these young adults really think it was so very much better/easier when their parents were growing up. Today's kids can't support themselves, because "they won't have any play money!" In MY day, you didn't have money to play with, because you were busy supporting yourself. It was a price you were willing to pay for independence. Besides, working those 2-3 jobs, who had time to play, anyway!? LOL

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post

just enjoy life
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Well of course they do! If they actually move out on their own, all of their "spending" money will be eaten up in BILLS!! What they don't realize is....most of us were so THRILLED to actually be making enough money to say, "Thank gawd! There was enough money to pay ALL of the bills this month, and I had enough for Top Ramen, too!!"

It's laughable that so many of these young adults really think it was so very much better/easier when their parents were growing up. Today's kids can't support themselves, because "they won't have any play money!" In MY day, you didn't have money to play with, because you were busy supporting yourself. It was a price you were willing to pay for independence. Besides, working those 2-3 jobs, who had time to play, anyway!? LOL
Yup, because everyone in your generation was a model citizen while everybody in this generation is a loser.

Last edited by Ro2113; 08-20-2012 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
I bet most attractive women who don't have any issues (besides not dating a man living at home, haha) won't.

Where are you going to hang out? Her place? Probably not cause she probably still lives with her parents. There are only so many times you can have a car date or do stuff else that isn't $$$. And she doesn't want to have the stigma of dating a guy who still lives out home.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I bet most attractive women who don't have any issues (besides not dating a man living at home, haha) won't.

Where are you going to hang out? Her place? Probably not cause she probably still lives with her parents. There are only so many times you can have a car date or do stuff else that isn't $$$. And she doesn't want to have the stigma of dating a guy who still lives out home.
and what about her? do you think her living with her folks at the same age is acceptable?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The majority of people I know - from all walks - were living at home with their parents in their early 20s.
RIGHT. Especially in expensive major metro areas and while earnings haven't ramped up. Most everyone I knew in LA hung around the house for 2 to 3 years and had no problems getting dates.

Who wants to do the quasi-hippy-dippy thing and live in a bohemian set-up with 2 or 3 other guys if you don't have to?

The funny thing is that I know a single woman who is doing this in her 40s so as to be able to live in Manhattan. She also complains that she can't find love. Her QOL would definitely go up if she left Manhattan, and she might be able to live on her own.

If you're doing what you're doing, OP, and it's working well for you, keep doing it. Also, your parents are cool to let you live there until your earnings climb. Good luck!

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 08-20-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 05:37 PM

109 posts, read 128,437 times
Look, it's wrong pure and simple to live at home and spend most of your money. I would view that as unacceptable. But if I met a girl and she was working to save up money while staying at home it would raise my view of her. I don't see saving money to reduce or eliminate future debt is anything but smart in this world.

Last edited by Lock-Os; 08-20-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,161 times
No I wouldn't date a guy in his early 20s who lives at home. I only date men who have their own place as I have my own place.

I highly doubt that no gal will date you as long as you live at home as many gals do date guys who live at home.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
No I wouldn't date a guy in his early 20s who lives at home. I only date men who have their own place as I have my own place.

I highly doubt that no gal will date you as long as you live at home as many gals do date guys who live at home.
What do you do for a living? No student loans, right? Are you saving any money? Are you sharing your place? Where in the US do you live that you can do that?

If you liked a guy, you wouldn't hold that against him as long as he has other plans in place. It's a lot less "baggage" than already having kids. If you want to bang away, I'm sure there's a Motel 6, a scenic spot in the country, or a desolate beach that will suit you two nicely. Or your place.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What do you do for a living? No student loans, right? Are you saving any money? Are you sharing your place? Where in the US do you live that you can do that?

If you liked a guy, you wouldn't hold that against him as long as he has other plans in place. It's a lot less "baggage" than already having kids. If you want to bang away, I'm sure there's a Motel 6, a scenic spot in the country, or a desolate beach that will suit you two nicely. Or your place.
What do you do for a living? I'm a pediatric nurse.

No student loans, right? Right no student loans I was on a full scholarship.

Are you saving any money? Yes I already have $900,000 though most of that wasn't from my current job rather from beauty pageants, modeling, babysitting, and bartending.

Are you sharing your place? No it's mine as in I live there alone and it's completely paid off.

Where in the US do you live that you can do that? If you mean have your own place then pretty much anywhere in the US that has jobs and housing available as it seems to be more of person thing than a location thing.

You don't know me so it's probably best not to dictate what I wouldn't do. I would hold it against a guy if he didn't have his own place as there are many other guys that I can like that do have their own place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships