Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:12 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,747,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How will they be kept from you? Visitation IS negotiable. And at their ages, they will be free to see you whenever THEY want. No court is going to stop them from visiting you at their request.
As I have said, I am not dealing with a s2bx who is fair minded. She knows I am very much devoted to my kids, and she would not be encouraging of me being with them. And the fact that they would be "visiting" me and not living with me in the first place is in itself disconcerting.

Quote:
I know many families who have shared 50/50 custody. It is becoming the norm. But of course you know this because people have been telling you this for as long as you have been posting about your failed marriage. For some reason you just don't want to accept it.
I don't fully accept it because I know too many fathers in my community and circle of friends who don't have a fair arrangement, as well as vindictive exes who do all kinds of underhanded and passive aggressive things to adversely affect the relationships between the children and the father. This kind of action I, sadly, don't put past my wife.

Quote:
Meanwhile, do you ever stop to think what you and your family will be like after 6 more long years of living like this? No love, no trust, and a boatload of crappy memories?
It's already like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I so agree that only Lucario can make this difficult choice.

But "staying together for the kids" almost always backfires.

And by watching their parents have such a rotten marriage these kids are 10x more likely to go out and have the same kind of marriages themselves Imagine the guilt he'll feel then!

I don't even want my kids to get married, though if they want kids, I reluctantly realize that marriage is a better option.

Quote:
It's just very risky to do what he is doing, statistically.

Not to mention, he is starved for love and affection , which can ultimately send him to an earlier grave.

But again, it's only because we think he's such an awesome guy so deserving of more that we are trying to give him other ways of looking at this thing
I've already realized that I'm not going to have a long life. But I also know that if I don't have love or affection from my kids, I'm not going to have love or affection.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,971,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't even want my kids to get married, though if they want kids, I reluctantly realize that marriage is a better option.

After a certain age (which is fast approaching) it won't matter what YOU want - they will be their own people who will make many decisions, some you are going to not like much at all.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,836,421 times
What is your wife getting out of living with a man who hates her? I just don't understand this. She needs to step up and file, because this is a toxic family and the kids are suffering more than you know.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
What is your wife getting out of living with a man who hates her? I just don't understand this. She needs to step up and file, because this is a toxic family and the kids are suffering more than you know.
What makes you think I hate her? I love her - but it is obvious that we are incompatible in the most fundamental of ways. There has been much emotional and verbal abuse that I have taken from her, and as a result I am very, very angry at her. More than that, however, I am sad that she is so oblivious to the effect her attitude and personality has had on our family. Am I perfect or saintly? No. But the difference is that I readily acknowledge that and she refuses to. That is the fundamental problem I have with the relationship.

Hell - if she files, she files. But that will open up a Pandora's box, and I do not want that. I assume she doesn't want that either.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Are you her friend? Do y'all sit around and complain to each other about how bad your husbands are?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,020,041 times
I don't know Lucario. You make excuses that don't fly and it seems to me your head is in the wrong place. IMO your kids are learning all the wrong lessons and you are their headmaster. You don't want them to marry? This statement all by itself says you have lost your way. We all partake of a pity party from time to time but like any party eventually the lights have to go out and its time to go. So it is with this one. You need to quit what you are about and do what has to be done.

I'm not trying to be a Richard here but this has been ongoing for far too long and it seems to me that you are slipping day by day into a worse place when I read your stuff. I don't expect that you would put any faith in the words of a random person on a board so please talk to a pro about this and consult with an attorney. Get some perspective from someone outside who can see in without bias. Do it for yourself, do it for your kids, even for your wife. Find healing.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,971,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
I don't know Lucario. You make excuses that don't fly and it seems to me your head is in the wrong place. IMO your kids are learning all the wrong lessons and you are their headmaster. You don't want them to marry? This statement all by itself says you have lost your way. We all partake of a pity party from time to time but like any party eventually the lights have to go out and its time to go. So it is with this one. You need to quit what you are about and do what has to be done.

I'm not trying to be a Richard here but this has been ongoing for far too long and it seems to me that you are slipping day by day into a worse place when I read your stuff. I don't expect that you would put any faith in the words of a random person on a board so please talk to a pro about this and consult with an attorney. Get some perspective from someone outside who can see in without bias. Do it for yourself, do it for your kids, even for your wife. Find healing.
WOW - great post!

I've been saying some of the same things to him for probably 2 years now.

I so hope he'll read your words and very carefully consider them.

He's such an awesome guy and he thinks he's doing the right thing, but I am so worried it's going to all come back to bite him in the azz later

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-26-2012 at 11:24 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,919,434 times
Quote:

From someone who was in a miserable relationship for entirely too long, heed this man's advise. I wanted to pull the pin and walk away from the cluster ####. No amount of waiting for the right time or whatever justification one can come up with is worth the misery. Once you do, the burden that is lifted is amazing. Simply amazing.

Life will be worth living again.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:

I do appreciate your words, but how do my "excuses" not fly?

No doubt, I am slipping into a worse place. I have consulted with an attorney..more than once......they want five grand and they can't tell me I am wrong in terms of my fears of losing the ability to raise my boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships