Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. So hang on. The logic (Or lack thereof) is just breathtaking.

The priorities of a 20-something are far different than the priorities of a 35-year-old. Seriously? Are you honest-to-God the same person you are today than you were fifteen years ago? Obviously not, since the person you describe were a pencil-necked geek.

Are you saying that 15 years ago the only thing you looked at in a woman was her inner beauty? Obviously this isn't true either because you found her attractive despite her manifest shallowness. So aren't you just as guilty of being shallow then as she was? And if you're this bitter now, you were likely not that much fun to hang out with in your early 20s, either.

Seriously, man. Get some therapy. Learn to let go. All that bitterness and resentment is going to burn you up inside.
Best post here!!!

The nerds shallowness led to the hot 20 something deciding she was hot.

Hey nerd boy. Go pursue nerd girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,284 times
Hmmmm, I have had occasion to hear both men and women who were grossly overweight mention that it was a factor in their dating lives, none that really belabored the point though as in incessant complaints, this is manifest without having to say it.

At the OP, I'm guilty of the occasional neener neener and it wont be until later reflection that I realize I have done wrong. Human nature I think is to revel in a victory real or perceived, when it comes at the expense of another or takes joy in their hurt that reveling serves only to diminish yourself. Its something I have to remind myself of every day because both my nature and my work are very very competitive. Its easy to be a worse version of ourselves, not so much to look in the mirror.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I hear it all the time, that men should go for overweight and obese women. I've been hearing it my whole life. Men are supposedly superficial and horrible because they care about weight too much. I'm sure i could find you plenty posts right here on CD that imply as much.

On another note, i think that men SHOULD frankly be more helpful with household chores.
Of my friends the only thing I've heard is that it is difficult for them to date because they are overweight. I've never heard anyone say anyone else should date them. Even my friends who are gorgeous.

Both men and women are superficial to a point which varies per individual. Get over it already.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. So hang on. The logic (Or lack thereof) is just breathtaking.

The priorities of a 20-something are far different than the priorities of a 35-year-old. Seriously? Are you honest-to-God the same person you are today than you were fifteen years ago? Obviously not, since the person you describe were a pencil-necked geek.

Are you saying that 15 years ago the only thing you looked at in a woman was her inner beauty? Obviously this isn't true either because you found her attractive despite her manifest shallowness. So aren't you just as guilty of being shallow then as she was? And if you're this bitter now, you were likely not that much fun to hang out with in your early 20s, either.

Seriously, man. Get some therapy. Learn to let go. All that bitterness and resentment is going to burn you up inside.
Oh - but he wanted to date the hot, shallow cheerleader for her inner beauty.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerspicaciousE View Post
There are many overweight women who complain constantly about how they are not ignored because of their weight. They use the terms "real women" and "women with curves" frequently. I actually find it insulting as a thin woman, because the insinuation that they are "real" and somehow thin women are not is absurd. And these type of women often complain that the media never shows "real women with curves". Well, there is a good reason for that. The fashion and beauty media is selling a fantasy. While, there has been a growth of plus size models the fact remains, beauty in the media is defined by thinness whether one likes it or not and many people are turned off by images of bigger women. I have met women like this all over the Internet and IRL I have worked with countless overweight women who make these statements, while eating a salad at lunch, but snacking on donuts and candy bars all day. It is a reality that there are women like this. But, there are also overweight women who receive unconditional love, because they are self-confident or their man likes them that way.
Are you *really* insulted or is this just for show? I mean, why does how fat chicks refer to themselves afftect you emotionally so much? It isnt healthy...

Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Oh - but he wanted to date the hot, shallow cheerleader for her inner beauty.
See?? Right here is a perfect example. A sarcastic comment implying that men are somehow immoral and shallow for being picky about women's looks. But if a woman is picky and rejects a man for being too clingy, that's somehow ok. There's nothing wrong with that.

Ridiculous double standard.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Women don't date down in any profession, including service professionals. All women hate to date down, unless they have some sort of self esteem issue. That is why there are so many never-married women in their 40s today - if you wait until your career is well established to find a man, there aren't many still available who you want to date. There are personal risks dedicating your 20s to early 30s to your career, when you are a woman. Most women achieve at their personal life, or at their career life.

Haha months ago in a thread many women here refused to admit there is a mindset of "dating down" but here later it is admitted. I submit to you that it is less about esteem and more about a mix up of priorities in what is consider real value in life when women refuse to "date down" in career fields.

A attitude most men don't have at least in defining a value of women by the career and income level.

So, so many never married women today who used their 20's to 40's to focus on a career who now expect to land the same guy they could have 20 years earlier AND who is equal or better yet above her in the career field. lol......

The problem with that expectation is many men wanted her when she was who she was 20 years ago and her career NOW doesn't mean as much to them and she thinks it should.

There has been a price to pay after all with the feminist movement to creating professional or corporate women wanting the same as men

Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,768 times
Quote:
See?? Right here is a perfect example. A sarcastic comment implying that men are somehow immoral and shallow for being picky about women's looks. But if a woman is picky and rejects a man for being too clingy, that's somehow ok. There's nothing wrong with that.

That's a perfect example to you.

How does it imply that when it doesn't pass judgement on guys being picky about gal's looks or even mention gals rejecting guys for being too clingy?

That sarcastic comment pokes fun at how the hot cheerleader is shallow for not wanting to date a nerdy guy but the nerdy guy isn't shallow for wanting to date a hot cheerleader because clearly guy he was all about inner beauty.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:

Do you have a comprehension problem?

The OP is saying that it wasn't okay for the hot, shallow cheerleader to not want to date the nerdy guy - presumably because he wasn't hot and cool. Well - why did HE want to date HER? He's upset that she didn't see his inner beauty while it sounds like she didn't even have any inner beauty to be seen. So, he's upset with her for being shallow when he is just as shallow himself.

WHERE IS THE DOUBLE STANDARD? THEY ARE BOTH DOING THE SAME THING!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I think the OP watched "Can't Buy Me Love" one too many times!
Can't Buy Me Love (1987) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships