Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 AM

710 posts, read 587,835 times

Advertisements

I was bullied very badly when I was younger which basically destroyed my self-esteem and social skills. I'm pretty withdrawn socially now. I can talk to women with no issues but I don't approach women. I see it as a waste of time because it's pretty much a guarantee that you'll face more rejection than not and also some women just don't want to be bothered. I didn't get my first girlfriend until a few months ago, but we aren't together anymore. I met her via online dating. I'm 19 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 10:19 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,340,053 times
The only reason I struggled with was because I was shy when I was younger.. Still am somewhat but my success with women is just average. Not bad, but average at best.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:21 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,340,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I was bullied very badly when I was younger which basically destroyed my self-esteem and social skills. I'm pretty withdrawn socially now. I can talk to women with no issues but I don't approach women. I see it as a waste of time because it's pretty much a guarantee that you'll face more rejection than not and also some women just don't want to be bothered. I didn't get my first girlfriend until a few months ago, but we aren't together anymore. I met her via online dating. I'm 19 years old.
I feel the same way.. I don't approach many women because to be honest I don't care. I lost my fiancé back in November and don't feel like dating at all.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I feel the same way.. I don't approach many women because to be honest I don't care. I lost my fiancé back in November and don't feel like dating at all.
Me neither for the moment. I did a lot of things for my girlfriend and she still left me. If it happens again it happens I guess.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,586,305 times
Quote:
That's a genuine reason to have your self esteem hindered by the bullying but you've had your first GF so you are capable ( I'm sure you were doubting yourself beforehand thinking you wouldn't get on ) so you're in a better place than you think mate and can look forward instead of backwards

DO NOT look as it as a waste of time trying to approach a lady and assuming the worst as it's a terrible mindset especially at 19 and it's only going to be YOU that's gonna hold yourself back and stopping you from dating.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,333,106 times
There are different ways of going about it but as a shy guy myself growing up, I found ways to still meet lots of girls. You do not have to approach every girl you see fearing rejection. Only approach the ones you notice are giving subtle signs and when you approach, ask feeler questions to gauge interest and weed out the attention seekers that were waiting for you to approach just to reject you.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
DO NOT look as it as a waste of time trying to approach a lady and assuming the worst as it's a terrible mindset especially at 19 and it's only going to be YOU that's gonna hold yourself back and stopping you from dating.
But I hear a lot of women complain that they don't want to be bothered while they are out and about, and I can understand that because I wouldn't want to be constantly approached while minding my own business either. I also know that I'm not really an attractive guy so I probably wouldn't have much success. I started online dating about a year ago and even though it took a while, it did get me my first gf. Maybe I will start approaching women some day, but I'd have to fix some things about myself first.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:30 PM

97 posts, read 58,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've seen guys like this, met a few. In fact, they were a few years older than you. Great looks, in shape, personable among their friends, but couldn't approach a woman to save their life. They smile at women, try to make eye contact. That's about all they can muster. They wait for the women to approach them. This is more common than you think.
Used to have a friend who I met through pickup soccer who was like this. Nice job, nice car, responsible and ambitious, overall really good guy, but he couldn't go up and even say hello or look them in the eye. He was criticized behind his back for being shy by mutual friends we had. He eventually moved across country and met a wonderful girl who he is now happily married to. He never had to approach, met her through work.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:22 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,586,305 times
Quote:
But I hear a lot of women complain that they don't want to be bothered while they are out and about, and I can understand that because I wouldn't want to be constantly approached while minding my own business either. I also know that I'm not really an attractive guy so I probably wouldn't have much success. I started online dating about a year ago and even though it took a while, it did get me my first gf. Maybe I will start approaching women some day, but I'd have to fix some things about myself first.
Yes it's not wise to do so in general on the whole if they're just minding their own business or busy with something etc but at times there is a way round it and you don't necessarily have to randomly approach and can meet plenty just by doing things in your normal day to day life when an opportunity presents itself .

The best way in my opinion is by being engaging with funny one liners/humour as it really CAN make something out of nothing, for example say you go grocery shopping and on whilst in the isles, with your trolley and a lady accidentally bumps into you I'd joke with something like " well that's definitely one way of getting a blokes attention! " or say one that's in front of you and politely holds the door for you I'd say " Ohh so you've got the manners to match ( her looks ) " sort of thing.

I really CANT stress this enough just how many doors this opens as it usually brings a smile/giggle, which can initiate a conversation and judging by her reaction you progress from there

Best part is you don't have to be comedy genius either and you'll be surprised at who and how many you can attract by making a lady laugh

Old 04-17-2017, 04:16 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,383,751 times
I don't approach women right now because I'm busy trying to figure things out. I'm sure when I get my life squared away, I'll be a little more social.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships