Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,947,431 times

Advertisements

Yes I am aware times have changed. And I went dutch a few times. Its just I like manners. And I have paid for a man's movie tickets and for his Halloween hayride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,966,891 times
I think people are a lot more flaky than they used to be. Especially if they work in the service jndustry, or do online dating. There are so many people to meet, at any given ime someone can pop up and distract your person of interest faster than you can say "I disnt even know so-and-so was seeing anyone else".
Back in the 90's for the most part, to get dates, you had to have a good social circle, joim a club, or go to the bars. But now, if you are somewhat attractive, you can chill in your pj's, drink a pop, and login to whatever dating website account and line up dates for the next week in a relatively short amount of time.
Times are changing, I guess we just have to change with the times.

At this point, I just assume anyone I am interested in is seeing someone/ dating around. It's hard to take ANYONE too seriously with people constantly flaking out. It has become the norm anymore.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,689,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think the etiquette issues that have come up with "modern" dating have less to do with gender roles and more to do with technology. People cancel dates with less than an hour to the agreed-upon meeting time, without even a call, just a "can't make it--sorry!" text. People just disappear after having several dates with someone rather than tell them it's not working. Things like that that seem avoidant at best and cowardly at worst.
And then there's also the waiting for the last minute to ask you out. And usually by text. Ummm, I don't think so. Makes it seem to me like I was an after thought or they kep waiting for a better offer.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,952,414 times
I am not sure what exactly happened. There are some men who think it is down right ridiculous and crazy for women to want and expect a certain "level of service" in dating.

On a related note, the lines of what is considered "acceptable" has dropped quite a bit. I mean, there are more than enough men out there who think it is OK to ask a woman they just met (at a bar, online, on facebook, whatever) to how big your boobs are (or for pics or other level of access). And are surprised when you are like "haha, yeah right." I guess there are people who think that is OK. But it is pretty crass to me.

If you are one of those women with higher standards for "level of service" you are either snooty, a prude or a cold fish or some other "term of endearment."

Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,342,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
reading comprehension is a good thing don't ya think?
Of course.

As is the ability to construct a comprehensible grammatically correct sentence.
Quote:
My daughter loved/loves that show, and she's everything her mother's not, super conservative in the dating arena At 30 something I know her number of lovers to date is belowe 10.
Between the lack of punctuation, incorrect punctuation, spelling errors, and poor phrasing I have no idea what you're trying to say.

But, that's on me, of course.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,227,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am not sure what exactly happened. There are some men who think it is down right ridiculous and crazy for women to want and expect a certain "level of service" in dating.

On a related note, the lines of what is considered "acceptable" has dropped quite a bit. I mean, there are more than enough men out there who think it is OK to ask a woman they just met (at a bar, online, on facebook, whatever) to how big your boobs are (or for pics or other level of access). And are surprised when you are like "haha, yeah right." I guess there are people who think that is OK. But it is pretty crass to me.

If you are one of those women with higher standards for "level of service" you are either snooty, a prude or a cold fish or some other "term of endearment."
Think it's O.K.? no

Not giving a crap how they act around women? Yes.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,484,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Of course.

As is the ability to construct a comprehensible grammatically correct sentence.

Between the lack of punctuation, incorrect punctuation, spelling errors, and poor phrasing I have no idea what you're trying to say.

But, that's on me, of course.
True

Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,028,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Minx is right. In the past I've gotten used because I let myself be used. Equality has made things blurry in the dating world. Equality says women get paid the same as men, women can ask men out for dates, etc. I believe men and women can be equal, but they still aren't the same. There are big differences between men and women in the way they act and think.

I really appreciate a guy who picks me up for the date, opens the car door, etc. Sure, I can do those things myself, but it's sweet when a guy does them for me. Especially at the beginning. I've been complaining lately that guys don't go on real dates, that they don't do nice things, but coming back to what minx said, if I don't demand that kind of treatment then what can I expect? Next time a guy calls me at 9:45 and wants to come over at 10 I'm going to say no!
Yup. People will value you (and your time) when you do. This caliber of man is probably more your speed too.

Men and women will always test the waters, but you get the final say.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,342,904 times
Quote:
True

Old 12-13-2012, 06:53 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,188,012 times
Not this **** again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Sattar View Post
and what have you done in return to show a guy that you are interested in him just as much as he is interested in you. It goes both ways. That is what a lot of women forget. Have you ever held the door open for a guy? Have you ever pulled a chair out for a guy? Seriously, have you ever bought a guy flowers before? Have you ever paid for a date? How will a guy know if you are interested in him for more than just money? I think you are a primitive cave lady that doesn't know very much about love.
She doesn't need to because she has a vagina. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships