Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,387,495 times

Advertisements

I think that those who have lived their lives exclusively through the internet, social media, and texting are "worse" than people who weren't weaned that way.

I look at people who were the same age as I was when I left LA and they might as well be from another planet, and my friends from there say the same thing. The "what can you do for me?" (in BOTH directions) has gotten really bad. That's what I "read" from my observations and discussions with people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,422,837 times
I don't know if this is what Robert's alluding to, but there are a lot of people who are so married to the idea of multitasking (which, frankly, no one does well) that any interaction that does not immediately gratify them in whatever way they're expecting is a "waste of time." You hear that a lot, as if having the experience wasn't worthwhile in itself, or you don't learn anything even if the date was bad.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM

354 posts, read 518,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know if this is what Robert's alluding to, but there are a lot of people who are so married to the idea of multitasking (which, frankly, no one does well) that any interaction that does not immediately gratify them in whatever way they're expecting is a "waste of time." You hear that a lot, as if having the experience wasn't worthwhile in itself, or you don't learn anything even if the date was bad.

LOL. that describes TVSG.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM

681 posts, read 618,912 times
Going off of what was already said,

I don't think it's ok to expect sex from a woman that I don't know. Expecting sex without going on dates or at least getting to know the person is dumb in my opinion. I expect to take them out a few times and then just go from there. I do not agree with women that have guys "waiting on the side lines" either that's totally ridiculous and if a guy was to do that, then we would never hear the end of it.

Guys ,however, should open the door for the lady and pull out their chair. I was taught that, but it really surprises me 10 fold. I had a girl do that for me once and trust me, she got major brownie points for that.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,784,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am not sure what exactly happened. There are some men who think it is down right ridiculous and crazy for women to want and expect a certain "level of service" in dating.
Men and women are equals now. Women are perfectly capable of providing their own "level of service"!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,972 times
According to my single friends, especially those in their 20s and 30s, yes. Common courtesy appears to be on the decline. Men are more likely to expect sex before a commitment and less likely to offer to pay for dinner. Women and men are more likely to text or chat on their cell phones during a date. Some people don't think twice about posting intimate details/photos of their personal life on FACEBOOK. Cheating is rampant. Makes me glad I'm not single.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,784,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
According to my single friends, especially those in their 20s and 30s, yes. Common courtesy appears to be on the decline. Men are more likely to expect sex before a commitment and less likely to offer to pay for dinner. Women and men are more likely to text or chat on their cell phones during a date. Some people don't think twice about posting intimate details/photos of their personal life on FACEBOOK. Cheating is rampant. Makes me glad I'm not single.

It's a wasteland out here. Technology enhanced narcissism is the rule of the day. I look at some online dating ads and just shake my head. So many mediocre people expecting to be treated like royalty.
People now seem to approach dating as consumers. How can they get the most while giving as little as possible. They expect service with a smile!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,790 times
[quote=ATG5;27331576]Not this **** again.

This is how I feel about this thread everyone is in a bunch because their special boxes of how people are suppose to act can't comprehend people being complex and using extreme examples to justify their opinion.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,721,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm trying to think what the women did differently back then
Nothing. Women have never had to put much effort into the courtship phase. It has always been, and will always be the mans responsibility.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM

31,083 posts, read 22,113,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
It's a wasteland out here. Technology enhanced narcissism is the rule of the day. I look at some online dating ads and just shake my head. So many mediocre people expecting to be treated like royalty.
People now seem to approach dating as consumers. How can they get the most while giving as little as possible. They expect service with a smile!
Touche' Good points all the way around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships