Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,785,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I can't rep you but honestly this tough talk nonsense is just becoming an excuse for folks to lay down final justice on people and their lives.

I don't know why they are still doing the tough talk thing for men. It's 2012! Men can wear pink now and cry in public. I mean we aren't cavemen. We aren't in a locker room. What's the deal with thinking that every man wants to be spoken to in "boot camp" language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,696,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
I don't know why they are still doing the tough talk thing for men. It's 2012! Men can wear pink now and cry in public. I mean we aren't cavemen. We aren't in a locker room. What's the deal with thinking that every man wants to be spoken to in "boot camp" language?
Because we don't get it.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,786,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Oh please. This is so condescending. You are just assuming because someone can't get a date, he's a loser. Some guys have a decent job, work out every day, are in good shape, and still can't get a date. Guys can't get women because it's hard to get women. One can have a lot of good qualities and still have trouble attracting a mate.
Hmmm. Perhaps your problem is that you view a woman as something you can "get."

Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,031,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I can't rep you but honestly this tough talk nonsense is just becoming an excuse for folks to lay down final justice on people and their lives.
That's probably part of the reason.

I'd add that people are getting tired of hearing people complain when they aren't doing anything to help themselves, or take any advice that is offered to them and try to apply it.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:58 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,161,267 times
Quote:
I was in the army for 20yrs and the equivalent of a US Command Sergeant Major (NATO OR9) when I left and you learn that talking to everyone in the "boot camp" manner doesn't work for everyone, for a fair proportion it's counter productive. It's better to lead than to push.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,420,169 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised. It's fairly dichotomous. It might be 2012, and in some ways it's still 1962. There are places where the palest pink Brooks Brothers dress shirt, matched up to a charcoal suit and a conservative maroon tie, still would not fly ... let alone crying after bad news or a personal tragedy.

People need to be themselves. Aside from some of the more obvious ones, like "doing nothing," most people aren't going to hit all these high notes in the process of being themselves. And not everyone is going to have a date lined up for each successive Saturday night. That's not a measure of success. Being comfortable in your own skin is. And, going from there, if you do or don't pull in a relationship or can or can't line up a bunch of dates, c'est la vie.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 12-18-2012 at 02:02 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,786,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
I could do without the condescencion and language, but I think the underlying thesis is correct. I like the part about "5 things you do/accomplish". Women like guys who do things, who accomplish things. I myself find attractive women who have hobbies and real goals/accomplishments in life vs those who only enjoy shopping or drinking/eating with their friends (the male equivalent I guess would be playing video games).
Yes, it reminds me of guys here who, when asked to list their hobbies, say stuff like

Watching TV
Watching movies
Watching YouTube
Going to the gym
Playing video games

Remind me why your life is great enough to want to share with another?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:03 PM

7,010 posts, read 12,004,908 times
Was this supposed to be humorous?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM

20,429 posts, read 14,748,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
That's probably part of the reason.

I'd add that people are getting tired of hearing people complain when they aren't doing anything to help themselves, or take any advice that is offered to them and try to apply it.
Yes. That, and a culture of entitlement. "You can be anything you want to be." Well, yes, you can...but you might have to WORK YOUR BEHIND OFF and be patient to see it through. But people want it all, and don't want to have to invest anything.

And all of the blaming of others when happiness doesn't magically fall out of the sky. Honestly, it doesn't matter if it is someone else's fault or even if fault exists...the bottom line is that a person has control over themselves, their own behavior and no one else's. Complaining will get you nothing. The only course worth pursuing if you don't like where you're at is to try and change yourself, what you are doing and how you're doing it. And before anyone comes and says "easier said than done" or "you think it's easy...well listen to MY excuse! It's a really GOOD one!" no, it's not easy. Life isn't easy, love isn't easy. It's not easy for pretty people, or rich people, ugly people, stupid people, popular people...we each have a set of challenges to overcome. Or not, or we can wallow in our own suffering. Whatever tickles yer pickle, I guess.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 PM

896 posts, read 1,478,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I acknowledge it's TRUE, i'm not disputing the logic. But do i really want to live in a cruel and unfair world like that, where women are so picky and demanding? It's just not worth it anymore. Might as well spend my money on guaranteed results.
Well said. And therein lies the problem. No matter how hot a woman is....there is a guy somewhere that is tired of putting up with her shxt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships