Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,086,923 times

Advertisements

Like it or not everyone has some sort of baggage. Some might have far more baggage than others. Baggage is very subjective and it comes in many forms such as poor finances, physical or mental health, sick parent or ailing parent, sick sibling, children from previous relationship of relationships, unemployment or being under employed, sometimes even where you live or come from others might see that as baggage due to stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 01:31 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,773,630 times
I agree with reed's post

No previous romantic relationships = very little or no baggage (at least romantically), logically by definition...

Conversely, the more unsuccessful relationships a person has, the greater the probability of having baggage. Simple mathematics...

Old 12-23-2012, 03:06 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,671,876 times
I guess everyone has baggage, but plenty of people don't let it weigh them down.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,753,048 times
One person's baggage is another's magic carpet. Our past can be whatever we make it.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,672,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
No, I have an attitude towards people I don't want to contact me on dating sites, people I have specifically said I am not willing to date.
So? Either ignore them or say no thank you, you don't have to treat them as inferior beings because you're too high and mighty to waste your precious time speaking to them.

I consider that attitude to be a huge amount of baggage.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:46 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,579,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I agree with reed's post

No previous romantic relationships = very little or no baggage (at least romantically), logically by definition...

Conversely, the more unsuccessful relationships a person has, the greater the probability of having baggage. Simple mathematics...

I've known women outside & from the fourm who have never have been in a relationship "so they say" and they seem to have some baised ideas about the oppersite sex. Which leads me to believe they too have some sort of baggage.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:30 PM

102,263 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's interesting, because guys will tell the women that they should spend more time picking good mates and not just jump into a relationship with anyone, but then they'll turn right around and complain about women who are less than receptive when they cold approach them on the street or when they don't put out by the third date.
She is so sharp!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 PM

242 posts, read 356,175 times
Default Do baggage free people really exist? What do you think?

I'd say some people are better at dealing with their baggage than others.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,628,976 times
Relationship baggage and daddy issues have to be the absolute worst and the biggest turnoff for me. Can't tell you how many people I have met that are still hung-up on ex boyfriends and issues that happened to them when they were kids. So many females with these issues.

Men have their issues also, but for me it would be relief to meet a lady that is free of the two issues I described above. It's like an epidemic.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:11 PM

51,039 posts, read 36,758,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I keep reading threads on here that go like this:

The OP says "I am having a relationship problem." It gets discussed back and forth with a few responses and then someone pipes up (particularly if the OP is female) saying "You are bad at picking mates! You have to go to therapy. Obviously, you are attracted to horrible men with lots of baggage." without having any real insight into the OP's history or state of mind.

This annoys me because I truly don't think that people exist who do not have SOME kind of baggage. There are the usual kinds-- dysfunction in the family, difficulty with exes, general problems with motivation in life, commitment issues, confidence issues, etc. Then there are more serious kinds: mental illness, addictive behaviors, trouble with kids from previous relationships (custody battles), trouble with the law, bankruptcies or severe money problems, and on and on. Some of these can bridge from typical to serious, some are red flags, but I think that all of us have at least a small carry on of baggage (even purse size) that we bring with us when we meet someone else. The idea that we can always avoid anyone with baggage in order to pick a "good" partner who will never act out or be unreasonable is hard to believe. Likewise, learning to deal with and overcome some of these issues can actually provide valuable skills in coping and relating to others.

So what do you think? Do you know anyone who is absolutely baggage free? And what sorts of baggage are acceptable to you? What sorts are not?
Everyone has baggage, the key is, are they aware of it and its' effects on their behavior; are they working on it, do they own it and carry it themselves, or do they expect their partner to be responsible for it? For instance, if a man had a divorce from a cheating wife, but has done the work to heal, that's great - but if the guy hasn't done the work and gives me the 3rd degree every time I go out with the girls, that's a guy I'm not going to stay with, because he's expecting ME to be responsible for the emotions he hasn't healed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships