Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:39 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
I'm not talking about how men introduce themselves, it has nothing to do with me.

If you really feel this way, then don't get your Mom anything for Mother's Day. Just tell her everything you've said here in this tread, "Mom, you shouldn't expect pats on the back for this".

How do you know that I get my mother anything for Mother's Day? My mother could be dead for all you know.

Don't speak to things that you know nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 01:50 PM

914 posts, read 766,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
How do you know that I get my mother anything for Mother's Day? My mother could be dead for all you know.

Don't speak to things that you know nothing about.
If she WAS or IS a good parent, it should still be acknowledged. Good parents should always be. I just completely disagree with your point simple as that.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:56 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
If she WAS or IS a good parent, it should still be acknowledged. Good parents should always be. I just completely disagree with your point simple as that.
They should be, but that doesn't mean it makes them better people, it just means they aren't evil (probably).

Old 02-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysky444 View Post
For me..I guess i live in a fairy tale mindset..blame disney for that...but I always wanted my own family..not someone else's..I wanted there to be a guy out there who had never had children with anyone or ever asked anyone else to marry them...I spent a good part of my 20s furthering myself and taking excellent care of myself..that if i waited for the right guy i want him to wait for me...that includes not having children but with me..I purposely skip over men with kids kids on the dating sites bc that immediately the idea squashes my dreams ive grown up having since a little girl..but that is just me...
I agree. I may not ever have kids but yes I prefer that over being a stepmother. I have seen the damage done to stepparents by stepchildren, the exspouse and even the spouse that makes me avoid.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
Ew, don't pat yourself on the back for doing exactly what you should be doing. I hate that men get credit for sticking around and being in their kids' lives. That should be the default setting.
In all fairness, moms do the same thing.

Quote:
Look, if a Mother does everything she can to take care of her children and is a great mother, she should be told how wonderful she is! If a Father is always there for his children by providing protection, direction, and love then he should be told how wonderful he is! I get that you want to date a childless person like yourself, nothing wrong with that. But here you come across like you want to knock good parents, which is trifling.
I think the point is the premise of why good parents are praised...the same as an employer thanking an employee for doing their job... .Being there for your kids should be the default, but unfortunately it's not: That is what's trifling. Certainly I appreciate parents that are exemplary—going above and beyond—that kind of parenting should get additional credit from others; while all good-meaning parents should be appreciated by their kids and spouses.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:57 PM

8 posts, read 7,170 times
i dislike children.....i know that to many in contemporary society that makes me worse than the Devil/Stalin/Hitler mixed together, but then we shouldn't be vilified for holding, oh i don't know, an opinion?

Old 02-08-2015, 05:54 AM

472 posts, read 348,394 times
As a single man myself without ever being married or having children. I am currently dating but have decided to wait to until after marriage before children. We could go on and on about this forever and I'm no one to judge as I may be a single parent one day if a relationship fails. I hope it doesn't happen to me but none of us are immune to it A list of preferences, fears, experiences, joys, hurts and what not about dating a single parent.

We all have our reasons as to why we date who we date. However, we don't know all the reasons as to why these parent's are single with a child(s). Some may be for a good reason and some of the reason's were just bad. Her story, his story, ect...

Well, the main reason is because it's just so messed up in so many ways. There are a myriad of circumstances, so there is really no answer. But when there "ARE THIS MANY" single parents in their 20's/30's, we have to admit "SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT". If we turned the time back 30, 40, 50 years ago there were not as many single parents as there are today.

Instead of bashing the gender as the cause, both partners really need to think about it before throwing the condom away or ditching the control pills. Study forums like this and realize the danger emotionally for all parties involved when the couple splits with one or more children. If this wasn't a problem, this question wouldn't even need be asked. Yes, there will always be unfortunate circumstances that cause a split with children involved but I think there are way too many mistakes in our current generation that is causing this epidemic. With many saying no to single parents, I hope it starts to make people really think, plan, and explore before having children.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
As a single man myself without ever being married or having children. I am currently dating but have decided to wait to until after marriage before children. We could go on and on about this forever and I'm no one to judge as I may be a single parent one day if a relationship fails. I hope it doesn't happen to me but none of us are immune to it A list of preferences, fears, experiences, joys, hurts and what not about dating a single parent.

We all have our reasons as to why we date who we date. However, we don't know all the reasons as to why these parent's are single with a child(s). Some may be for a good reason and some of the reason's were just bad. Her story, his story, ect...

Well, the main reason is because it's just so messed up in so many ways. There are a myriad of circumstances, so there is really no answer. But when there "ARE THIS MANY" single parents in their 20's/30's, we have to admit "SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT". If we turned the time back 30, 40, 50 years ago there were not as many single parents as there are today.

Instead of bashing the gender as the cause, both partners really need to think about it before throwing the condom away or ditching the control pills. Study forums like this and realize the danger emotionally for all parties involved when the couple splits with one or more children. If this wasn't a problem, this question wouldn't even need be asked. Yes, there will always be unfortunate circumstances that cause a split with children involved but I think there are way too many mistakes in our current generation that is causing this epidemic. With many saying no to single parents, I hope it starts to make people really think, plan, and explore before having children.
I think part of the reason we see this is instant gratification. People want it NOW, not to wait. It'a why we see couples rushing into sex and childbirth. They were lusting after the person and once that sizzled they realized there was nothing there but now they have kids. Then for whatever reason they believe they have the same market value that they did but they don't. Instead they have a reminder of the fact that they failed and expect the new partner to accept it. In some cases the divorce was valid, not judging that but in many cases (especially with those who have multiple kids by different people)it shows they lack in morals.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:26 PM

356 posts, read 365,712 times
I'm single and don't mind single women with kids...that's just meh.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
If we turned the time back 30, 40, 50 years ago there were not as many single parents as there are today.
True. But try to remember, back in those days, if a woman got pregnant out of wedlock, usually they married immediately (and many times it was forced). Women back then didn't have the choice and/or opportunities that they do today. So they had to stay with the man that got them pregnant. My grandparents were married for this reason. As was my two aunt's and uncle. Let's not compare today to yesteryear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships