Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
He looks full Asian. Many Japanese men look like him.
Half Korean and father of Irish descent, Daniel Henney. Pretty good looking guy there.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Yes, I would date an Asian guy. Why not?

The same pros and cons would apply as any guy. So we would have to be attracted to one another (duh,) be able to make one another laugh, respect one another's intellect/character, be looking for the same thing in life etc.

I will admit that one of the most beautiful men I've ever seen photos of is only half Asian.

http://www.angryasianman.com/images/...elhenney02.jpg
He's yummy.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:01 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times
Yes he is!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM

59 posts, read 78,155 times
I am a Chinese interntional student and currently dating a white girl!( actually she is jewish) lol

Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I'm not a White girl, but I've dated Asian men in the past. My ex before I married (a Mexican-American) was Japanese. He was from Japan, so there was a bit of a cultural divide, but we overcame that because we both enjoyed geeky things, good food, and other things.

OP, I can only imagine how it must be as a guy! TBH, it isn't just Asian guys, but guys in general. It's tough having to approach someone, romantically or otherwise. Have you ever looked into online (i.e. not specifically a dating site, but a club pertaining to a specific hobby, etc.?) Personally, I would definitely give you as good a "shot" as anyone since I never dated based on race.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
One thing that I really didn’t see mentioned here is the potential impact of culture. Take for instance a first generation US-born Asian male. His parents probably came over here during the 1960s or 1970s and still hold a lot of their traditions or customs very close. The first generation children probably grew up speaking their parent’s native language, for instance. This could include the oldest son taking care of the parents once he has married and has a good job. Most non-Asian women won’t “get” that tradition or be willing to do that. A lot of pressure is usually put on the oldest son.

Let’s also be honest and admit that some Asian parents really want their children to marry someone of the same nationality, like a Japanese son marrying a Japanese girl. Some parents won’t be tolerant of their children dating outside of their race, and honestly it’s probably easier to date the same nationality due to shared languages, shared religion, shared traditions and cultures, etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
He looks full Asian. Many Japanese men look like him.
Not really. Not too many asian guys look like Daniel Henney. His features are basically white and he's tall and very built. His look is VERY far from the average Asian guy. A more typical look for a handsome Asian guy is this...

Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4RAolch-jYg/UE3zKtTpvwI/AAAAAAAAAzk/Ftf_U5-2xUk/s1600/tony-leung-chiu-wai.jpg

I'd be curious as to what white women thought of him (not that I look anything like that either ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Are they six feet tall? I'm sure some are, but this guy is just plain bigger than the Asian guys I know. But then, I know Chinese men. No so many Japanese.
The new generation of Asian men is quite tall. But more likely to be slight. But they are making up the height difference rather quickly, though still a bit shorter than white men.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
One thing that I really didn’t see mentioned here is the potential impact of culture. Take for instance a first generation US-born Asian male. His parents probably came over here during the 1960s or 1970s and still hold a lot of their traditions or customs very close. The first generation children probably grew up speaking their parent’s native language, for instance. This could include the oldest son taking care of the parents once he has married and has a good job. Most non-Asian women won’t “get” that tradition or be willing to do that. A lot of pressure is usually put on the oldest son.

Let’s also be honest and admit that some Asian parents really want their children to marry someone of the same nationality, like a Japanese son marrying a Japanese girl. Some parents won’t be tolerant of their children dating outside of their race, and honestly it’s probably easier to date the same nationality due to shared languages, shared religion, shared traditions and cultures, etc.
While I agree that some follow your example, my family didn't. I've had two uncles and one aunt (1st generation U.S.-born), who married outside our nationality. As far as I know, there wasn't any pressure on them to marry within. Likewise, there wasn't any pressure on my generation and many of us did marry outside of our nationality. For the most part, my parents didn't care who we married. They just wanted grandkids.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I wonder if things have dramatically changed since I was dating. When I dated my ex in the early 2000s, we were about as common as unicorn sightings. If AM/WF is still considered relatively uncommon, think how it was being being neither white nor Asian. We sure got our share of stares, even in NYC (which I never received when I was dating Black, White, and Latinos). We did have a ten+ year age gap too, so maybe that could be a reason as well (he was in his late 30s and I was in my early 20s). His parents lived in Japan, so thankfully I didn't have to deal with that aspect.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Not really. Not too many asian guys look like Daniel Henney. His features are basically white and he's tall and very built. His look is VERY far from the average Asian guy. A more typical look for a handsome Asian guy is this...

Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4RAolch-jYg/UE3zKtTpvwI/AAAAAAAAAzk/Ftf_U5-2xUk/s1600/tony-leung-chiu-wai.jpg

I'd be curious as to what white women thought of him (not that I look anything like that either ).
Not that I'm a white girl, but I don't think he's very good looking, at least not that pic. I think better example would be Harry Shum, I think a lot of white girls would like him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.