Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I agree in my job and in the classroom spelling, punctuation, and grammar are everything. When I go home to my man at night, I dont hold him or myself to those standards. It would be absolutely exhausting.

I don't see how you agree with me...MY point was that poor spelling, grammar and punctuation IS important as to the attention one will devote to the relationship as well...lazy is lazy!

Now, I know someone will say that they knew____ who was a hard worker but couldn't spell to save their life. Well, my answer is that there may be a difference between PHYSICALLY lazy and MENTALLY lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I don't see how you agree with me...MY point was that poor spelling, grammar and punctuation IS important as to the attention one will devote to the relationship as well...lazy is lazy!

Now, I know someone will say that they knew____ who was a hard worker but couldn't spell to save their life. Well, my answer is that there may be a difference between PHYSICALLY lazy and MENTALLY lazy.
I still dont understand how this relates to relationships. I guess I dont see my relationship as a job interview and am not valuing a man based on his ability to write well. I dont hold myself to that standard in my non work/non school life.

I'm terribly lazy when it comes to dedicating time and effort in my relationships with people, but I am a straight A grad student who works 50 hours a week and is taking three classes. So, idk that the lazy logic works. Lazy is cannot be applied generally to all aspects of life. Some people just work harder at things that they prioritize as higher importance in their life.

Cant fault someone for placing "grammatically correct" fairly low on their list, when things like being a good person and all that entails normally takes precedence.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I still dont understand how this relates to relationships. I guess I dont see my relationship as a job interview and am not valuing a man based on his ability to write well. I dont hold myself to that standard in my non work/non school life.

I'm terribly lazy when it comes to dedicating time and effort in my relationships with people, but I am a straight A grad student who works 50 hours a week and is taking three classes. So, idk that the lazy logic works. Lazy is cannot be applied generally to all aspects of life. Some people just work harder at things that they prioritize as higher importance in their life.

Cant fault someone for placing "grammatically correct" fairly low on their list, when things like being a good person and all that entails normally takes precedence.

You completely made my point while saying you don not understand it!

People PRIORITIZE, for sure! If communication isn't a priority then your relationship is coasting on assumptions...if you're lucky, your assumptions and reality won't clash...most aren't that lucky!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
You completely made my point while saying you don not understand it!

People PRIORITZE, for sure! If communication isn't a priority then your relationship is coasting on assumptions...if you're lucky, your assumptions and reality won't clash...most aren't that lucky!
I guess I dont think communication has anything to do with writing grammatically correct sentences. There are a lot of great writers who wrote/write "correctly" that a mass majority of the population could not/would not comprehend. At least in my life, the success of my relationships has absolutely nothing to do with written words-this coming from someone who has centered their life around writing.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Quote:
What do dating and someones ability to use a semicolon properly even remotely have anything to do with one another??
Nothing, if you plan on marrying someone who dropped out of high school.

However, if your girlfriend is a genius, like mine, then using a semicolon properly can be a big turn-on. She likes to know that I can still think and write.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Nothing, if you plan on marrying someone who dropped out of high school.

However, if your girlfriend is a genius, like mine, then using a semicolon properly can be a big turn-on. She likes to know that I can still think and write.
See I still dont get this. I'm a straight A grad student majoring in professional writing. My boyfriend using a colon incorrectly isn't going to make him any less attractive/desirable/smart.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I guess I dont think communication has anything to do with writing grammatically correct sentences. There are a lot of great writers who wrote/write "correctly" that a mass majority of the population could not/would not comprehend. At least in my life, the success of my relationships has absolutely nothing to do with written words-this coming from someone who has centered their life around writing.

Then you don't understand lazy...

FWIW most of the people whom I've met speak the way they write...and it can make me cringe!

I'm not gonna be attracted to someone that makes me cringe.

You might as well just say that someone can have horrible hygiene yet be a good person...why would you reject a relationship with them over that?

I'll tell you why. Because whether you notice or not, they are neglecting much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Some people on this thread are writing about two different things. One is criticism of people who take shortcuts and don't edit their online text chats with their lover.

The other, which isn't really part of the thread topic as per the OP, is how people talk when they're together. Can your g/f use pronouns correctly or does she say **** like, "me and him are dating" or "do you want to eat with him and I"? This would be a dealbreaker for me and is something that I can barely tolerate with my platonic friends.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Pretty sure this thread is in the relationship forum. Not the education or work and employment forum. What do dating and someones ability to use a semicolon properly even remotely have anything to do with one another??
Did I say anything about the semicolon, the most useless bit of punctuation ever? In fact, let me use the semicolon more times than I have ever done in my entire career of writing: ;;;;;;. There.

Here's what you don't seem to get. You don't walk out into public looking like a slob, do you? You don't stroll into a party or a job interview looking as if you just rolled out bed, unkempt and without having taken a shower in a couple of days? You don't dress in the first few items pulled from your closet, regardless of whether they match or not, do you?

Just as that kind of inattention to your person tells others about you from a physical standpoint, poor writing tells others about your mind. And when so much of human interaction today takes place in the world of words, whether on CD or a dating site, how you write tells the world what kind of person you are. Like it or not.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Then you don't understand lazy...

FWIW most of the people whom I've met speak the way they write...and it can make me cringe!

I'm not gonna be attracted to someone that makes me cringe.

You might as well just say that someone can have horrible hygiene yet be a good person...why would you reject a relationship with them over that?

I'll tell you why. Because whether you notice or not, they are neglecting much more!
So someone speaking incorrectly is as disgusting to you as someone not bathing?

Are we talking using slang here or someone who occasionally mispronounces a word or says "Amy and me" instead of "Amy and I"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships