Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 PM

39,340 posts, read 27,726,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
Shouldn't you be more positive about these "idjits"?
Yeah but if this guy is saying that he's mad at God then obviously he's going through something deeper than that.
nobody can deny that. and nobody say that he should be abandoned, or tossed to the side.
But if he is depressed, he needs therapist more than a girlfriend. If he is negative, he needs to change his attitude, otherwise, life would be tougher.

Many of us do not need negativities in our lives, we are not codependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,785,958 times
I actually find it offensive thay we are all expected to be perpetual optimists when the powers that be(the media, politicians, corporations) are always hitting us with negativity. Thus ends my rant. But it's up to the OP what she wants to deal with. Me, I like someone who lays their cards on the table.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
nobody can deny that. and nobody say that he should be abandoned, or tossed to the side.
But if he is depressed, he needs therapist more than a girlfriend. If he is negative, he needs to change his attitude, otherwise, life would be tougher.

Many of us do not need negativities in our lives, we are not codependent.
So you are saying he is codependent?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
Quote:
I actually find it offensive thay we are all expected to be perpetual optimists when the powers that be(the media, politicians, corporations) are always hitting us with negativity. Thus ends my rant. But it's up to the OP what she wants to deal with. Me, I like someone who lays their cards on the table.
What does the media have to do with anything?
Why do they control how you feel?
Take responsibility of your own life.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
you are missing the point here. We know that life is tough. Nobody can deny that, but what is the point of complaining all day long?

This guy complains about everything. Even when neighbor's kid got a flu, he said he was unfortunate, the kid coughed on him.

At the very beginning, I was like, "aww, it is okay, you are not going to get sick because of that." He is just a grumpy man.

It is very different scenario when a man says, "Life kinda of sucks, I have no directions in life." We all do this every once in a while, but we don't complains about bad drivers, and coworkers all day everyday. It is lack of coping skills turn people off. You know what I am saying

Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
So you are saying he is codependent?
NO!! People who like to fix other people's problems are codependent. He perhaps is depressed. I am no therapist, don't know how to fix his problem.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
you are missing the point here. We know that life is tough. Nobody can deny that, but what is the point of complaining all day long?

This guy complains about everything. Even when neighbor's kid got a flu, he said he was unfortunate, the kid coughed on him.

At the very beginning, I was like, "aww, it is okay, you are not going to get sick because of that." He is just a grumpy man.

It is very different scenario when a man says, "Life kinda of sucks, I have no directions in life." We all do this every once in a while, but we don't complains about bad drivers, and coworkers all day everyday. It is lack of coping skills turn people off. You know what I am saying
I guess it really comes down to what you want to deal with then.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:11 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,428,506 times
Depends on what he's negative about.

If he's condescending and looks down on a group of people, acts entitled and ignorant, HECK no?!

I dated a guy who was a bit cynical, more like a social critic.

I rather date someone who's a realist than someone who fudges facts and polishes poo, and then laughs at life because he can see through the b.s.

If that means he's a negative then so be it. Reminds me of a guest speaker who was a doctor who wrote something about fake positivity. It's healthy to acknowledge the dysfunctions in society, but let's not pretend as though certain issues are fine and dandy when they are blatantly not. It's delusional to deny what's going on. First step towards taking some kind of stance for advoacy is awareness, and I like that in a person. Rather than passively going along societal norms without questioning its legitimacy, I prefer someone who's a leader who can think for himself.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
I don't think the other choice is to be a blind Pollyanna.
But you can even have a good attitude about effecting change in the things you don't agree with/tarnishes on society.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,295,665 times
Negativity is a hard trait to deal with. At the same time, the person could lean more on the cautious side. Does your boyfriend ever take any risk or does he stay in lulls? I'm a cautious person, so some things I say does come off as negativity. It just depends on who's ears hear it. Being a credit analyst, I'm naturally scrutinizing financial statements. That does pour over into my personal life.

I would say if the person is mad at God too, than it shows me that this person can't buckle down and drudge through a task. Life is not always on your side and you need to have the will power to pick yourself up by your bootstraps. Overly negative people are generally negative for a reason. They were either overlooked as children, have abandonment issues, or never felt quite good enough. I'd seek therapy if negativity was impacting my life to where many outside people noticed. It's just not all around healthy and no one wants to be around someone like that for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships