Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky2Sharks View Post

I told you guys this because I have 2 questions.
1. Was it wrong for her boyfriend to come to me with his frustrations?
2. Was I to harsh?
1. Her bf needed input/support for helping her, so I do not think it was wrong that he came to you, her good friend. Maybe you should not have mentioned this to her though.

2. No, she needs help. There may be some psychological or medical issues causing her to gain so much weight, so quickly. That is a lot of weight. She needs to see her Dr. about this to rule out medical causes and recommend a course of action. Tell her you can go on the appt. with her. Continue to try to offer support even if she pushes you away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 PM

177 posts, read 303,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You're a better man than me, I'd have bailed 130 pounds before that.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
1. Her bf needed input/support for helping her, so I do not think it was wrong that he came to you, her good friend. Maybe you should not have mentioned this to her though.

2. No, she needs help. There may be some psychological or medical issues causing her to gain so much weight, so quickly. That is a lot of weight. She needs to see her Dr. about this to rule out medical causes and recommend a course of action. Tell her you can go on the appt. with her. Continue to try to offer support even if she pushes you away.
Thank you. I will always support her.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
I hear people always talking about smoking being so bad for your health but the real problem is obesity in America.

My friend ( let's call her gigi) has gained over 150 lbs over the course of two years. She's now around 300+. She says she needs to lose but she doesnt take any control of her body. Her boyfriend of 5 years is getting aggravated. He tries to he subtle and give hints about her weight gain but she gets depressive. So he tells me all of his problems.

Me and Gigi have been friends since elementary. This is my girl, I love her. So today I told her. The weight is a problem and she has to do something about it. I'll be her support system anything she needs. She says I'm no real friend and accused me of trying to take her boyfriend.

2. Was I to harsh?
I would say that her boyfriend wasn't wrong to approach you, but that this is a conversation for him and her. He shouldn't count on you to do his dirty work.

Were you too harsh? It's hard to say because none of us were there. We don't know how you approached the conversation with Gigi, though I would be inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt and guess that you did it in a respectful manner. But even if you did, it is a sensitive issue. Overweight people are more and more becoming excoriated by mainstream culture. It's not just a push to be healthy. Sentiments have pushed way past that point. People are beginning to develop a genuine dislike for overweight people. It's sad, really. So when you approach this with your friend, I'm sure that it is a very sensitive topic to her, and that she is counting on you as a friend to accept her as she is. Even if you disagree with some of her choices.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
I hear people always talking about smoking being so bad for your health but the real problem is obesity in America.

My friend ( let's call her gigi) has gained over 150 lbs over the course of two years. She's now around 300+. She says she needs to lose but she doesnt take any control of her body. Her boyfriend of 5 years is getting aggravated. He tries to he subtle and give hints about her weight gain but she gets depressive. So he tells me all of his problems.

Me and Gigi have been friends since elementary. This is my girl, I love her. So today I told her. The weight is a problem and she has to do something about it. I'll be her support system anything she needs. She says I'm no real friend and accused me of trying to take her boyfriend.

2. Was I to harsh?

it's not your buisness, gigi or whoever isn't 'your girl,' she's his girl. All you can do is offer advice but stay out of it for the most part. If she doesn't want to lose weight then that's her choice -- he can stay or leave. Contrary to their belief, men cannot dictate what a woman does with her own body.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Contrary to their belief, men cannot dictate what a woman does with her own body.
Of course not, but, as her LT BF, he may be worried about her health and emotional well-being. Gaining that much weight in such a short period may signal medical/psychological problems.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
it's not your buisness, gigi or whoever isn't 'your girl,' she's his girl. All you can do is offer advice but stay out of it for the most part. If she doesn't want to lose weight then that's her choice -- he can stay or leave. Contrary to their belief, men cannot dictate what a woman does with her own body.
Your right. It's their relationship. But I'm concerned for her too you know?

I know he is genuinely worried for her.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Of course not, but, as her LT BF, he may be worried about her health and emotional well-being. Gaining that much weight in such a short period may signal medical/psychological problems.

I highly doubt he's worried about her 'emotional well being and health.' It's usually some other issue going on that's not being put out there but people love to throw out the 'I'm just concerned for you' stuff because it sounds good. As I said, even if he is worried about her 'emotional well being and health,' she's not. So then he's back where he started -- overly involved in someone else's buisness. There's nothing he can do about another person's eating habits.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:22 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,328 times
Quote:
He's not worried about her health, just her attractiveness. If it was a health issue he wouldn't have gone behind her back to get her friends to do his dirty work.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Your right. It's their relationship. But I'm concerned for her too you know?

I know he is genuinely worried for her.
I think it's ok for you, her good friend, to talk to her about it as it is a health issue AND the change occurred rather quickly. This sounds like there is a deeper problem. Awhile ago, I had the opposite problem - I lost a lot of weight in a short period and was too skinny. I looked sickly. I had a few people in my life who were honest enough to tell me I did not look healthy. They cared enough to push to find out what was going on in my life emotionally, so that they could help me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships