Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,593 times

Advertisements

over the years i've met a number of guys who will completely avoid women they're truly attracted to, and will deliberately go for "low hanging fruit". it's something i just don't understand.

the other day, i was chatting with a fellow at a bar. he said to me, "man, goin for the hottest girl is just dumb". i totally disagree with this for the following reasons:

1) first - i disagree with the perspective that you're pursuing the "hottest" girl. the way i see it, you're pursuing the one you find yourself most attracted to. this might seem like a distinction without a difference, but i think it's important because the former perspective implies an objective assessment (ie, others agree that she's the most attractive), whereas the latter suggests a more subjective one - you don't care what others think of her, you just know that you're really into her. when you know that the girl you're talkin to is not the one you're most attracted to, you won't put your best foot forward. at least for me, i find myself getting alot wittier and sharp around a woman i'm attracted to, than when i'm around someone i'm not so sure about. and i'm certain that just about any woman can sense this. i'm not very good at "faking it", and i suspect most guys aren't either (although many mistakenly believe they are).

2) if i consistently avoided the ones i was really into, over time, my confidence would take a big hit. i can't imagine telling myself on a regular basis, "forget about her - you could never get that girl" and keep my self esteem intact.

3) the false belief that if you go for "average" looking girls, your odds of hooking up will be higher - in my experience, attitude is simply not a function of looks, and i've met plenty of gorgeous women who were super nice and friendly, and plenty of average looking women that were bitter and rude. in other words, you simply cannot use her looks as an indicator of how receptive she's goin to be of your advances. IIRC, OKCupid even released the results of a study that found that girls in the 7-8 range were the ones that were most selective, because they would get contacted far more than either the 6s (and below) or the 9s and 10s.

i also think there's another false assumption that leads to this conclusion - that the "average" woman's internal assessment of potential mates matches yours, ie, a guy who's a 7 thinks that if he goes for a girl he believes to be a 7, he's playing "within his league", but of course the assumption here is that she, too, believes that he is a 7. yet the truth is that she might well consider him a 4!

4) finally, i think it's just plain selfish to "settle" like this. i sure as hell wouldn't want to be with someone that settled for me, and i think it's unfair to the other person since you're just wasting their time. they could instead continue their search for someone who really wants to be with them, instead of wasting their time on you.

the only time it makes any sense is if you've been on a really long dry spell and just want to release some tension, but even so i think the whole affair should be as transparent as possible to all involved, ie, no one should be misled or deceived.

thoughts/comments?

Last edited by ElysianEagle; 02-14-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
I wasn't sure where you were going by the title of your thread until I actually opened it.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Any fella with that sort of defeatist attitude-- deserves what he gets-- and is stuck with: the "low hanging fruit"

Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i dont know that its low hanging. but 3% of the people are chased by all. the rest are ignored.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,115 times
Believe me, there is social etiquette that desperately needs to be followed in the bar/club scene. I've have seen some absolute creeps approach women on completely different planes of attractiveness. It's fun to watch for everyone except the girl having to deal with the unwanted attention.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:06 PM

198 posts, read 468,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Any fella with that sort of defeatist attitude-- deserves what he gets-- and is stuck with: the "low hanging fruit"
What makes you think it's necessarily defeatist? Perhaps they actively pursue these women because it has gone better in their experiences. Perhaps they feel like less attractive women will put extra effort into other things they desire.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:11 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,026 times
There's tons of guys who deliberately go after women society would call "ugly" or in a group situation the least attractive one because they feel she would be easier

Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
Do some guys really avoid women they are attracted to?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,153 times
Reminds me of an old song, "Always marry an ugly girl, 'cause that's the only kind. She'll never ever leave you, and if she does, you won't mind."

Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
What makes you think it's necessarily defeatist? Perhaps they actively pursue these women because it has gone better in their experiences. Perhaps they feel like less attractive women will put extra effort into other things they desire.
There are some guys who are "broken," so to speak, and rather than take a good look in the mirror and try to be better men, they go after the equally broken women. It may be easier, but it's not getting them what they want or need in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships