Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM

174 posts, read 258,613 times

Advertisements

Very interesting responses. I finally got through them all. Okay I want to add in another part. This hypothetical by the way trying to help my GF out. If the sex was good in the beginning but dwindled over the years would those of you who said you would leave stick around. Everything else is good in the relationship accept the sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmommy22 View Post
Very interesting responses. I finally got through them all. Okay I want to add in another part. This hypothetical by the way trying to help my GF out. If the sex was good in the beginning but dwindled over the years would those of you who said you would leave stick around. Everything else is good in the relationship accept the sex.
No. I would leave if the sex was bad regardless.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Obviously, relationships should not be based 100% on sex. However, would you be able to stay with someone if their sex was not pleasing you. What if they only were able to provide you with good sex when they were drunk? If you were to break up with them would you tell them the reason that you no longer wanted to be with them was because their sex was not good?
Absolute deal breaker. Intimacy while not everything is a huge part of a relationship or marriage. It can be fixed but do you have the patience?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
This is a weird question. Your hypothetical scenario suggests that the couple is already together so they knew how the sex was from the beginning, and if they still got together given the sex was bad from the beginning, then I see no reason to break up later for that, because obviously you liked something else about them that made you get with them. If it's the beginning and you have sex with them and it's awful then you may not want to have a relationship with them or continue having sex with them.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
Quote:
I'd be inclined to leave, but it's not clear-cut. Why has it declined, how great is the mismatch in desire, and can it be corrected? If not, and everything else really is good, options such as an open relationship should be considered.

Fortunately, this isn't an issue for us. Unlike most people, we discussed and agreed on how we would handle such issues long before we got married, so there are few situations we are unprepared to handle.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I used to tell my SO something similar. He was a lucky man.
Sorry that happened to you. :/ In a perfect world, any person we chose to be our SO and give our hearts to would cherish it...but it doesn't always work that way.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Oh.

Something like 15% of couples are in sexless marriages. Presumably because one or both of them doesn't like the sex!

If you don't like sex because you dislike your spouse anymore, then you have some big problems.

If you don't like the sex because your spouse doesn't perform in a way that pleases you sexually, then that can be fixed by talking about it and focusing on each other.

Last edited by srjth; 03-18-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,874 times
No, I would be out of there.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:

Wait... There is a difference between "bad" sex and "dwindled" sex. Dwindled implies less frequency. It still allows for a good time, just not as often.

Again, it would depend. It's pretty normal not to go at it like rabbits after the first few months. Evolution saw to that: If we all did that for the entirety of our relationships, nothing would ever get done, especially on the weekends!

But if it was a sudden drop-off, or nearly non-existent, I would find out why. Undiscussed issues? (Hey, you never know. He could be harboring something.) Boredom? Stress at work? Health problems? Certain prescriptions?

This is why it's important for people to talk through these things with their partners. I know you mean well, but it's really something she is going to have to discuss with her man.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
I laugh at all the people who want to claim: 'So in love, so in love, so in love!' and the ones that claim 'spouses will put up with damn anything "because of love" before jumping ship and finding someone else.'

Look how fast that went out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships