Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

How are people able to afford two households following divorce in this day and age of low-paying jobs, jobs that are hard to find, etc.?

Has anyone here successfully gone from a SAHM to a divorced mom who was really able to support herself and her children? How did you do it? Were you able to quickly find a job and how is your and your children's quality of life now?

And yes, I know there's such a thing as alimony but obviously one can't squeeze blood from a stone. Most single-income families (including mine) are just about making it as it is.

Any input would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Contrary to popular belief, men become richer after divorce.

Men become richer after divorce | Life and style | The Observer

Old 06-11-2013, 01:18 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
They move to lower income areas.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
They move to lower income areas.
That makes sense. That wouldn't bother me too much, everything out of here is a lower income area. I truly do not fit in.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post

Thanks, srjth...I've actually heard the opposite though in recent U.S. reports...hmm, I am going to look into that whole thing more.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
How are people able to afford two households following divorce in this day and age of low-paying jobs, jobs that are hard to find, etc.?

Has anyone here successfully gone from a SAHM to a divorced mom who was really able to support herself and her children? How did you do it? Were you able to quickly find a job and how is your and your children's quality of life now?

And yes, I know there's such a thing as alimony but obviously one can't squeeze blood from a stone. Most single-income families (including mine) are just about making it as it is.

Any input would be welcome.
I don't have a low paying job, I just posted a pic of my pitts biplane on my facebook, I have 6 months left of paying my ex wife then im done. I plan on buying my own house and maintaining separate residences from my girl friend. If you don't marry, have kids or live together (other than weekends or a few nights here and there) then you are not exposed to all the divorce stuff. Luckily I don't have any kids. I plan on also buying a hangar and financing my own wild engineering experiments and maybe another plane. I probably ought to fix my truck some day too lol.

Legal marriage is a joke, I lost a lot of friends at church once I firmly took that stance and I only talk to ONE couple from church.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That makes sense. That wouldn't bother me too much, everything out of here is a lower income area. I truly do not fit in.
I have no idea how divorced people would be able to continue to live the lifestyle they had before marriage since they lost a lot of money, and speaking for the guys, if they had children they may have to pay additional CS until his kids are 18 at least.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I have no idea how divorced people would be able to continue to live the lifestyle they had before marriage since they lost a lot of money, and speaking for the guys, if they had children they may have to pay additional CS until his kids are 18 at least.
Right...well, I'm definitely not talking about how people can be just as well off after a divorce...I'm talking about being able to afford just to survive and keep the kids healthy. I'm wondering how divorced women do this in this economy when there isn't all that excess income that could come from a very high CS or alimony agreement in addition to her getting a job.

I would love some concrete steps to take, etc. if anybody has them.

I do totally agree with ya, PF.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post

That's not true, unless get gets off scott free not having to pay a dime which never happens in 95% of divorce cases. Its almost always a net loss for the man, he usually ends up paying child support, alimony or takes a big hit on the division of assets, how is that becoming richer. 80% of women are the ones that push for kids or threaten to leave and guys want sex so they get screwed lol (no pun intended) so I don't feel sorry for women when they have to raise it by themselves, typically women are the ones that want the kid so bad so I say they either stick it out with what ever guy they chose to have a kid with or raise it on their own. The only time I don't feel sorry for a guy paying child support is when he is a total slime ball and cheated on her for no reason (I say no reason because some women will withhold sex or sex acts then cry foul when he steps out) or physically beat her etc.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
That's not true, unless get gets off scott free not having to pay a dime which never happens in 95% of divorce cases. Its almost always a net loss for the man, he usually ends up paying child support, alimony or takes a big hit on the division of assets, how is that becoming richer. 80% of women are the ones that push for kids or threaten to leave and guys want sex so they get screwed lol (no pun intended) so I don't feel sorry for women when they have to raise it by themselves, typically women are the ones that want the kid so bad so I say they either stick it out with what ever guy they chose to have a kid with or raise it on their own. The only time I don't feel sorry for a guy paying child support is when he is a total slime ball and cheated on her for no reason (I say no reason because some women will withhold sex or sex acts then cry foul when he steps out) or physically beat her etc.
Ummm, most of us women don't have the choice to "raise 'it' on (our) own," the fathers are just that, fathers with rights.

I am sure my husband will want to be involved with the children.

I can't just up and decide to "raise them on my own," I don't even have that right (if I even wanted it).

You sound a li'l pizzed off for somebody who is supposedly living the high life with his lear jet or whatever. I appreciate you responding to my thread but none of this is helping a whole lot, just letting you know. Regardless you are obviously able to post what you want on here...just saying, I'm not seeing a lot of what you're talking about applying to my actual situation.

Your previous post about just never getting married is sort of closing the barn door after the horse got out.

Trust me, you don't have to feel sorry for my husband, he's had every single aspect of his life outside of work taken care of for him by his own personal workhorse (me), he's definitely gotten his money's worth, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships