Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,485,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
,,,,,,On OKC, I get quite a few messages a day. The only downside, and it's been like this with Plenty of Fish, as well, is that the guys that they "match" me with are older than my parents, ......
Neemy:

when the next screen is up look for the tab Messages
set your filters for what you are comfortable with but at least set the age brackets.
Off to the right hand side is gray-ed words, click on whitelist options, and blacklist options, and set filters again. If you are not sure about Whitelist and Blacklist, use Google.

Go to the Tab IM
and set your filters again.

HTH
Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,817,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Neemy:

when the next screen is up look for the tab Messages
set your filters for what you are comfortable with but at least set the age brackets.
Off to the right hand side is gray-ed words, click on whitelist options, and blacklist options, and set filters again. If you are not sure about Whitelist and Blacklist, use Google.

Go to the Tab IM
and set your filters again.

HTH
Phil
Thanks, Phil! I didn't know you could set filters on messages!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,409,437 times
Denny,

Are you a defemation lawyer for either eharmony/match.com? Or do you have stock in these companies? This is a serious question; and I'd prefer you to just answer yes or no. I won't have the time, nor patience, to read through three paragraphs of circular psychobabble.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I won't use eHarmony for personal reasons. Several years ago I had an extremely hateful coworker who spent most of her time at work bashing gays. She once told me she really liked eHarmony because "they don't allow GAY people looking for other GAY people." I told her I would never use it then because I don't believe in discrimination. It shut her up and I have stuck with that decision and will continue to do so! Plus, I don't feel like using online dating sites anymore.
Even though I support gay rights and believe gays should be allowed to marry, I understand why eHarmony doesn't support gay matching. Supposedly, their matching algorithm is based on an analysis of the data they've collected from successful marriages. So how can they match gays when they don't have enough data to determine what factors go into making a gay relationship last? I'm sure you could say that the factors are the same as those of a straight relationship. But wouldn't it be better to have actual data to support that instead of just assuming it? I have no idea if eHarmony didn't bother to collect that data or just didn't get enough to work with. As for your coworker who thought it was a good thing that eHarmony doesn't help gay people find matches, that's just another reason to despise her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Denny,

Are you a defemation lawyer for either eharmony/match.com? Or do you have stock in these companies? This is a serious question; and I'd prefer you to just answer yes or no. I won't have the time, nor patience, to read through three paragraphs of circular psychobabble.
Oh I see. A person can't correct someone else's false or misleading statements about a company unless he works for that company. Good grief. No, I don't work for these companies or have any affiliation with them. That's fine if you don't believe in online dating. You've already made that clear. But some of us do. Maybe I just get annoyed with people who bash a service without even bothering to understand how it works. If you don't agree with the premise of eHarmony, that's one thing. But if you sign up without understanding how it works and then complain when you don't get any matches, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Nope. One of the drawbacks of eH is that you can NOT look at profiles of anyone other than the matches eH sends to you. If I'd realized that before I'd subscribed, I would not have subscribed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That is exactly the reason why I never used it. But I have a couple of friends that did, and they are both now married to the fellas they met there. It works...for some.
That's good to know, Chessie! As I said in an earlier post, I know 3 happily married couples who met on eH, but that was several years ago. Good to know it's still happening for some. It'll be 4 weeks tomorrow night since I subscribed, and I know I need to be patient and hold onto hope that the right match will come along!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Oh I see....
Oh for the love of science, a small child could have predicted, that you weren't going to try and follow directions.

Yes or No, you have an affiliation, specifically, with match.com/eharmony. You put down other forms of online dating, so that's why I ask.

Why must you be so boorish? I agree with you half the time, but won't touch it with a ten foot pool, as you spend your days on here, braying like an ass.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:08 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
[quote=DennyCrane;15618114]Even though I support gay rights and believe gays should be allowed to marry, I understand why eHarmony doesn't support gay matching. Supposedly, their matching algorithm is based on an analysis of the data they've collected from successful marriages. So how can they match gays when they don't have enough data to determine what factors go into making a gay relationship last? I'm sure you could say that the factors are the same as those of a straight relationship. But wouldn't it be better to have actual data to support that instead of just assuming it? I have no idea if eHarmony didn't bother to collect that data or just didn't get enough to work with. As for your coworker who thought it was a good thing that eHarmony doesn't help gay people find matches, that's just another reason to despise her.

quote]

I think it probably has more to do with their conservative Christian beliefs, but your point may be valid. I didn't know much about the site before the coworker made that comment and yes, I agree it is another reason (among many others) to despise her.

If that's the way they want to operate their site it's their choice. I just choose not to give them my money! Plus, I really wouldn't like not being able to search for people on my own. The idea of a computer knowing more than I do about what I'm looking for just doesn't work for me.

It's all a moot point for me anyway because I'm done with online dating sites.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,817,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
It's all a moot point for me anyway because I'm done with online dating sites.
I'm with ya. I went in to change my settings last night, and realized this just isn't for me, so deleted my account.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 AM

You two just don't have enough patience!!

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
You two just don't have enough patience!!
Are you talking about me? I know I don't have enough patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships