Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM

40 posts, read 30,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
Socio-economic strata is DOMINANT in deciding who gets with who.

There are months where I make more money in 1 month than many of my friends make in half a year and I'm the only one who is seemingly permanently single

Don't listen to the bull****, money and status mean nearly nothing...unless you're a multi millionaire movie star or something. The average unknown guy making 200 K a year....money means nothing for him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Primarily looks, though they can be compensated for by money and status.
Speak for yourself I think. I am not overly endowed with any of the three things and I do just fine.

While I do not doubt there are SOME people who have little to recommend them except the three things you listed - that is pretty shakey ground on which to extrapolate a generalisation. Though I can also imagine that some people who are failing to get dates will try to rationalise it in ways like this.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Primarily looks, though they can be compensated for by money and status.
Good post and I agree - that is entirely correct.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 AM

580 posts, read 965,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillReigning View Post
There are months where I make more money in 1 month than many of my friends make in half a year and I'm the only one who is seemingly permanently single

Don't listen to the bull****, money and status mean nearly nothing...unless you're a multi millionaire movie star or something. The average unknown guy making 200 K a year....money means nothing for him
I still say the popularity of the show, Millionaire Matchmaker, seems to say that status and money don't mean a thing when it comes to attraction of the opposite sex. Lots of people on that show have money and status but they are either jerks or playas or they have some other thing that prevents them from getting or staying in a relationship.

A jerk with a big bank account is still just as much of a jerk as one without.

I'll admit I like the stronger women. Those who know how to get things done and are independent. I'm sure I can find someone like that who doesn't have a lot of status or wealth. I just need to figure out where.

there is also the shyness factor. I'm a shy person myself. with money you don't have to interact with it to make it. You can just pick up a coin and be on your way. I have the feeling that I'd probably be just as shy with a million dollars as I am with the 6 or 7 hundred I have now.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 PM

332 posts, read 436,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
I still say the popularity of the show, Millionaire Matchmaker, seems to say that status and money don't mean a thing when it comes to attraction of the opposite sex. Lots of people on that show have money and status but they are either jerks or playas or they have some other thing that prevents them from getting or staying in a relationship.

A jerk with a big bank account is still just as much of a jerk as one without.

I'll admit I like the stronger women. Those who know how to get things done and are independent. I'm sure I can find someone like that who doesn't have a lot of status or wealth. I just need to figure out where.

there is also the shyness factor. I'm a shy person myself. with money you don't have to interact with it to make it. You can just pick up a coin and be on your way. I have the feeling that I'd probably be just as shy with a million dollars as I am with the 6 or 7 hundred I have now.
Shyness doesn't matter in that situation. All you would have to do is buy a Ferrari, some shades and a nice suit and cruise the main strip. And then just pump and dump and repeat.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 PM

46 posts, read 55,663 times
at first looks...then personality...

Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillReigning View Post

I don't think you know what average means.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 AM

495 posts, read 684,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
There are guys out there who are generally considered attractive, and make good money and have "status" (e.g. a high-ranking occupation or nice connections)...who DO NOT do well with women at all. And then there are guys who have little or none of that...and have never had difficulty dating women.

Nearly everything a man needs to attract a woman comes from within. Good looks, a nice job, etc certainly can improve his odds, but in the realm of attraction those things usually are little more than accessories. A rotten, bitter or incompetent person with a high-level job, an Armani suit and a broad-shouldered, well-toned build is still a rotten, bitter or incompetent person.

In the end money is the biggest factor and dealbreaker for women, especialy for a LTR. And i'm not talking about that the man has to be rich. A man could have all the qualities a woman desires but if he doesn't like to work eventually she will grow tired of the situation. They may date for awhile and she may have a kid or two with him but sooner or later she will want a man that's a stable provider and will leave him. Earning 0 a year certainly won't cut it with most women but even 20 or 30 grand will not be enough for most either. I guess the amount depends on each individual woman. Money may not be ALL that matters but its the biggest factor for most.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
In the end money is the biggest factor and dealbreaker for women, especialy for a LTR. And i'm not talking about that the man has to be rich. A man could have all the qualities a woman desires but if he doesn't like to work eventually she will grow tired of the situation. They may date for awhile and she may have a kid or two with him but sooner or later she will want a man that's a stable provider and will leave him. Earning 0 a year certainly won't cut it with most women but even 20 or 30 grand will not be enough for most either. I guess the amount depends on each individual woman. Money may not be ALL that matters but its the biggest factor for most.
True to some extent. I have observed relationships like what you mentioned. Sad thing is that I do see women who take thier kids with them and look for another provider who can bring stability, safety and security. On the flip side their are women who are in relationships with unattractive working stable men however she is not happy. Women file divorces more than men and its usually over finances if not Happiness. A man has to do a lot to keep a woman. But I do agree though. I have noticed that over time women grow out of the naiev 20 something stage and can overlook attractiveness unless the guy has an amazing personalty regardless of his job or a man with deep pockets. But then again the damage has already been done! If your not a good looking guy, you better have an amazing sense of an personality or a lot of money to woo a woman into your court, if you don't, Houston we have a problem.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 AM

580 posts, read 965,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle43 View Post
Shyness doesn't matter in that situation. All you would have to do is buy a Ferrari, some shades and a nice suit and cruise the main strip. And then just pump and dump and repeat.
I'm not into the whole pump and dump type of thing. At least not at the moment. I'm kind of a romantic (much of it in the 1800s sense ) and I think I'd prefer a stable relationship. I (hopefully) probably am one of those cereal monogamists people talk about.

The Ferrari and shades sound pretty cool though.

Or maybe one of those expensive cars like a nice stretch limo or a chauffeur driven Bentley. Don't want to be too flashy you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships