Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
What I've noticed is, when women say they don't want to date single fathers its ok.

When men say they don't want to date single mothers there heartless monsters who hate women. The double standards are absolutely disgusting
When I say I don't date single fathers I am attacked so it goes both ways. I see nothing wrong with men who don't date single moms, unless they are single dads.

Anyway this is what I consider damaged goods:

1. Many children out of wedlock, especially with multiple people. It's one thing to have an out of wedlock child as a teen, that was just being irresponsible as teens are. However if you keep making babies and aren't married you are a sociopath and I will pass.

2. Multiple divorces. I understand getting a divorce, but several times? then it's your fault.

3. Criminal. People make mistakes but if you keep making them then no.

4. Drug abuser.

5. Sociopath in general.

6. Animal abuser.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Really? You might want to take a look at some of IDon'tDateYou's threads. I think you'll see things differently.
I am always told to accept these men and that I am picky because I avoid them (and will continue to do so).

Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,177 times
I once was going to enter into a relationship with a guy who as we got closer, I got glimpses of his controlling tendencies. As I began to pull away, he started moving in closer and becoming more aggressive. He brooded a lot. No matter how many times I said, "I just want to be friends" he kept coming on stronger. I told him I just wanted to be friends and reduce contact and he decided he wasn't done and told me so. We started arguing a lot and then whenever I'd sign off the computer, he'd continue the argument by texting me. Eventually I decided to go full no contact and not be friends.

That didn't stop him though. he continued to text me under different numbers, he'd call me under different numbers, use fake accents, tried to hack my emails, etc. Then he'd also send me long angry emails calling me insulting names. He could not let it go and took everything i said as rejection and as a personal failure on his part no matter what I said.

That, to me, is "damaged goods" and something I want no part in.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
The truth is, some people HAVE had life's experiences that have badly damaged their sense of self, their sense of morality, how they interact with others, and how they treat others. While labeling someone as damaged goods, referring to them as such, etc. is depersonalizing and rude, the fact remains that some people legitimately have had things happen to them that affect their ability to form healthy, functional relationships with others.

It's all very warm fuzzy and compassionate to note that all people have problems, all people deserve a chance to show that they can rise above them, and that people shouldn't be defined by bad things that have happened in their lives. And it's not untrue. But it's also not always the case that people are equipped to overcome the troubles they've had to function appropriately and healthily in relationships and interactions with others. Some people aren't able, for whatever reason, to get past their "issues" and form normal relationships. Some are able to, but don't care enough to.

For me, "damaged goods" means not just people who have had difficult or scarring things happen to them. To me, it indicates people who have either been unable to take proactive steps toward fixing their issues, or who have simply chosen not to, but instead embrace the dysfunctionality in their lives. Some examples would be people from abusive families who opt not to draw boundaries, limit contact with abusers...people who have addictions they do not recognize or treat...people who have emotional problems they will not seek help for...people who chronically lie to cover up dysfunction...in short, people who are making no active steps to remedy their "damage," but instead embrace it, or choose to stay caught up in the same destructive circles again and again, either out of denial, or out of a sense of helplessness that they can ever take responsibility for their own healing.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Lol, exactly. Some women come on here and state there disdain for short men, men without degrees, men who don't have "good jobs"(i.e. money), men with kids. And I have never took offense, or resorted to childish name calling.
It's part of the overall shaming language many women use when they want you to do things that mainly benefit them. It's similar to how not being down for marriage is now seen as "misogynist", or "he must be gay "or "bitter"because of not wanting to tie the knot. Umm....No I'm smart because I see it for the one sided fraud that it is

Old 04-20-2013, 09:55 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Really? You might want to take a look at some of IDon'tDateYou's threads. I think you'll see things differently.
Your name dropping one person? Lol I'm talking about both online and offline in general. It's nowhere near the same level

Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
It's part of the overall shaming language many women use when they want you to do things that mainly benefit them. It's similar to how not being down for marriage is now seen as "misogynist", or "he must be gay "or "bitter"because of not wanting to tie the knot. Umm....No I'm smart because I see it for the one sided fraud that it is
Why do you specifically ignore IDDY's post when you know it's in contradiction to your premise? Just curious.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Your name dropping one person? Lol I'm talking about both online and offline in general. It's nowhere near the same level
I'm giving you absolute proof. It only took one person. It took me all of half a second to come up with it.

Offline - I don't hang around people who put people down of either gender. It's only online that I see a raging gender war. Actually, it's only on CD that I see it.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think it's extremely rude and offensive to refer to a human being as damaged goods.

I may not want to date a person with certain issues, but to say they're 'damaged goods' is just messed up.
Lindsey Lohan and Courtney Love come to mind. I mean that in a nice way.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:46 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
I come here for a good laugh and entertainment, I could careless what any of these people on here think. I don't take any of these people seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships