Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For those divorced: Was your marriage worth it?
Yes, I grew in a healthy way 17 44.74%
Indifferent, I'm just glad my bank is not depleting anymore 4 10.53%
No, I had a very unpleasant experience 12 31.58%
Absolutely not, what kind of question is that? 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I thought about conducting this poll after hearing the phrase: "to have loved and lost is better to not have been loved at all." I figured this would be a good way to measure the validity to that statement. So, for those divorced, do you believe that your past marriage(s) have helped you grow emotionally, intellectually, etc? Or do you believe that the marriage was overall undesirable and created more harm than good? In order to broaden the poll audience, you may also vote if you have extensive knowledge on a friends situation. Also note that I am talking about your specific stance on the situation, not taking children into account. So if you felt cognitively obliterated by the marriage, vote accordingly, regardless if the marriage yielded children.
Voted "Yes,..." in the poll.

There were painful things within the marriage, not every feature of our lifestyle was healthy or positive, yet it was definitely (in my opinion) a worthwhile endeavor,
for the nearly 9 years that we lasted (were married after 4 & 1/2 yrs. as couple, then filed for divorce 4 yrs. later).

Being in LTR then marriage was an educational experience in all sorts of ways, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic snarky way, either.
Divorce was educational too, but a lot more depressing & lonely-however, in the big picture, I've never regretted it-we would be miserable if still wed.

No offspring, no arguments over terms of divorce, so there was no prolonged suffering
beyond the pain of relationship ending (which was indeed significant, but I've since recovered).

Also, it's been 9 years since I got divorced, so that's plenty of time for me (in my circumstances)
to be pretty mellow about it all in retrospect, from more of a distance.

Loss is sad, but Love was (IMHO) worth it anyway.
And I hope for more opportunity-well, not for the Loss part, but that's inevitable outcome of Love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
I think the very basis of your question is wrong personally. We can't change the past. We did what we did at that time because we thought it was the best plan. If we dwell on the past we become controlled by it and in my opinion, we lose our happiness in the present. Whether our marriage as good or bad everyone learns something in the process. You choose to either grow as a person or become bitter and angry.

The past is gone, the future is unknown, all we have is the present, make the most of that.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:52 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffael View Post
Pikantari lol, seriously.. cut it out with the fairytale nonsense... "everything happens for a reason...."

it just means u got unlucky if u ended up with the wrong person.. people should just learn NOT to rush into marriage.. nothing wrong with being engaged for ages or whatever...
Yep, I was engaged for 4 years. Is that enough for you? I did not rush into marriage.

You don't know a lot about me so you ought not to tell me I have fairytale nonsense as it is just not the case.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 AM

192 posts, read 381,931 times
You are absolutely 100% correct if you state that I shouldn't say things about you / your personality / your past experiences / ... as I obviously do not know you.

Now, if you start spewing generalities that are 100% and absolutely false, then ofcourse I can tell you.

If you tell me the earth is actually flat, it doesn't matter if I know you and your past or not. Because it is obvious the earth is round.

If you tell me "everything happens for a reason", I'm going to point out that you have been influenced by the media and/or religion and dismiss that statement as a lie or fairytale.

If I bang my toe against my livingroom table, it's not because "it was meant to be" .. it did not "happen for a reason" .. it was because I didn't look out and banged my toe against the livingroom table.

Get it?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffael View Post
You are absolutely 100% correct if you state that I shouldn't say things about you / your personality / your past experiences / ... as I obviously do not know you.

Now, if you start spewing generalities that are 100% and absolutely false, then ofcourse I can tell you.

If you tell me the earth is actually flat, it doesn't matter if I know you and your past or not. Because it is obvious the earth is round.

If you tell me "everything happens for a reason", I'm going to point out that you have been influenced by the media and/or religion and dismiss that statement as a lie or fairytale.

If I bang my toe against my livingroom table, it's not because "it was meant to be" .. it did not "happen for a reason" .. it was because I didn't look out and banged my toe against the livingroom table.

Get it?
I have been influenced by my own life experiences. I could care less about what media has to say. I am a Christian.

My life has been broadcasted across the pages of this website and many people know the things that I have gone through in my life, and a lot of it was real time.

My belief has everything to do with the things that have happened in my life, whether I realize it as it is happening or see it for what it was many ears down the line.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM

I am not exactly sure what is up peoples azz on this board but if you can't leave a rep while leaving your name as well, why bother?

"loll ur mad huh? the "everything happens for a reason" thing is ridiculous tho.. quit watching so many movies"

I'm not watching too many movies. I know what has happened in my life and I don't need movies to tell me.

When I leave a rep, whether it be negative or positive, I am able to sign my name to it. Not sure what people problem is. Upset because you can't be happy? Sorry bout your bad luck. Add some positivity in your life and quit being so cowardly.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM

34 posts, read 69,161 times
Default Was your marriage worth it?

Yes, it was worth it. It has made me wiser and a better person. So much pain was endured and so much money was lost. But I am grateful for making the decision to end the marriage and starting a much better life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships