Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,068,055 times

Advertisements

It's the age old question of friendships between men and women. When I was younger I had a lot of male friends (we are talking about straight people) , I hardly had any female friends. I don't know that you could say I was the girl who had no girlfriends , but pretty close. Then I dated one of those player men that befriended women (even when we were together) whom he wanted to have sex with. Now I find I cannot be friends with a man because I can very much (it's not my imagination, I just see things now maybe I didn't "get" when I was younger or hadn't been with such a player.) see through their motives in wanting to spend time with me. It is a turn off, pretending to be my friend.
These guys are the type that are there for me if I need something small done . Like changing a tire for example. But then they don't want to go away. Not that I do anything to lead them on. I am nice to them and I will pay to take us out for food if they help me fix something. Isn't that what friends do??? (Favors for each other and then I reciprocate by treating them to lunch or something. Maybe I'm trying too hard not to "use" someone?) But then they want to spend time with me more and more like a boyfriend would and I am not at all interested or they would be my boyfriend already.
I see it must be me doing something wrong because my guy friends are taking me the wrong way (9 times out of 10 I am caught off guard by this.) and I am just coming to the conclusion, unless the man is gay, I just can no longer have males as friends. Someone please explain what I am doing wrong because I really used to enjoy my guy friends when I was younger . . . And this is doubly frustrating because I do want a boyfriend but there is no attraction with my friends otherwise they would already be more than friends, yes these are men I've known more than a couple years in most cases. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
It's tricky because it all depends on the man. One male friend may change your tire because it's a nice gesture, and the next may assume there's something more to your connection because you're doing a BF type thing by doing it.

It could be signals you're sending, or it could be that some guy friends are hoping for more from you and you're unaware. Hard to say.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,028,983 times
Being friends with the opposite sex can be difficult, not impossible, but difficult. I'm finding that out the older I get. Most of my friends were guys when I was younger and I miss that but now that I'm older and married it's hard to find a straight guy who wants a platonic relationship. Gay is the way. Just sayin.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,813,353 times
I wasn't really friends with guys growing up. I had male cousins I played with. But I had my sister, my mother and I didn't see my Dad that much. Guys sort of fell under 'other'. I wasn't extremely girly but I wasn't a tomboy. I tried being friends with guys when I was 17/18. I found it was possible if I didn't spend too much time with them. More than that gave the impression that I was interested in more. The same is true now.

I don't know if it's possible for closer friendships with guys, but I haven't figured out a way to do that.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:50 PM

246 posts, read 387,934 times
Male female friendships are affairs.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingWomanMyAge View Post
No, they're not. It's easier to have those friendships if the guys have a gf, or if they're in a slightly different age group than the woman, but male/female purely platonic friendships are definitely possible and do happen.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, they're not. It's easier to have those friendships if the guys have a gf, or if they're in a slightly different age group than the woman, but male/female purely platonic friendships are definitely possible and do happen.
Rarely possible I'm finding out and it IS NOT easier if the man has a girlfriend. Maybe for you as the platonic friend but not if the girlfriend is not comfortable with it. Women know better to step back when a platonic male friend gets a girlfriend. I think I need to just be straight up with these men and remind them we are just friends. They expect something from me, even if it's just more of my time when they do something for me. That is not true friendship either which shows me 9 times out of 10 men and women can't be friends. . .

Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times
Default Idk

Aloha, maybe its me? Maybe i will never understand? But whats the big deal if a guyfriend finds you attractive? Ive had very gorgeous ladies in my life that are friends, even if i find them very attractive. As long as im not sleeping with them im a friend? Is a guy who likes you n that way anymore bad then a lady who wants to be a guys friend so she can get her emotional needs met without physical intimacy? And i have a few of those ladies in my life, who have boyfriends etc, but call me twice a day, because i guess there boyfriends cant give them whatever emotional need talking gives them? Sometimes its annoying. But i have accepted and understand that ladies and guys r different and have diff needs.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha, maybe its me? Maybe i will never understand? But whats the big deal if a guyfriend finds you attractive? Ive had very gorgeous ladies in my life that are friends, even if i find them very attractive. As long as im not sleeping with them im a friend? Is a guy who likes you n that way anymore bad then a lady who wants to be a guys friend so she can get her emotional needs met without physical intimacy? And i have a few of those ladies in my life, who have boyfriends etc, but call me twice a day, because i guess there boyfriends cant give them whatever emotional need talking gives them? Sometimes its annoying. But i have accepted and understand that ladies and guys r different and have diff needs.
Yes, we have different needs. Why do you take up the slack for the boyfriends? Are you just hoping one day she will be your girlfriend? (Serious question, not trying to be rude, I want to understand) Yes, we have different needs.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,922,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingWomanMyAge View Post
That's silly. I'm a guy who has had more female than male friends for most of my life. If my girlfriend viewed these as "affairs" (fortunately she doesn't) I would find a new girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships