Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:53 PM

246 posts, read 388,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So my Brother cannot change my tire because he "might" be seen as my "boyfriend" or the friend who is getting a ride home from me because his vehicle broke down can't change the tire that goes flat on the way home because he isn't my "boyfriend/husband"? It's a good thing I can change my own tire.

If Male and Female friendships are affairs...........I am having at least a dozen affairs at this moment. Perhaps I should let them know we are having an affair the next time I have supper with them and their wives.
Would you be okay with your husband and a female friend spending time alone together on a regular basis? That's what friends do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,349,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingWomanMyAge View Post
Would you be okay with your husband and a female friend spending time alone together on a regular basis? That's what friends do.

As I have stated many times before on this forum, I have NO PROBLEM with my husband spending time with his female friends. They have traveled together, they have been friends for more than 20+ years and well before I ever came into the picture. Some of the gals are single, some are not. They have slept in the same bed and/or the same room of a hotel when traveling, he has spent the night at their place, they have spent the night at our home whether I am there or not and nothing sexual has ever happened. I also have male friends who are the same with me and my husband is great with them but he is not jealous, nor threatened and he and I are partners and mature adults and we do not OWN each other.

I am NOT threatened nor jealous of any other woman on this planet when it comes to anyone, even my husband. HE knows he is married to me and I TRUST HIM COMPLETELY so this is a NON ISSUE for us.
I do not compare myself with anyone else because I am who I am and they are who they are.

Honestly every time I tell him about another one of these "Can male and females be friends without sex threads" he laughs because so many just don't get it and cannot accept the fact that humans no matter what gender CAN and ARE FRIENDS with no sexual strings attached.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:25 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,071,786 times
^^^^ I don't think this is typical. But it sounds balanced. you have friends of the opposite sex and your husband does too. I don't want something like this for myself. Social, sure, going out with other couples and couples in our families is great but no, this wouldn't work for me and most men I have been involved with wouldn't be entirely comfortable with it either.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,816,771 times
Quote:
We have a shared female friend. It's not that unusual for them to be alone together. known each other since middle-school, so she was his friend first. There has been 20 years worth of opportunities for something to happen. Nothing has. I just haven't been lucky enough to make friends with a guy that hasn't gotten an awkward feel to it that leaves me squirming and uncomfortable with the situation.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,349,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
^^^^ I don't think this is typical. But it sounds balanced. you have friends of the opposite sex and your husband does too. I don't want something like this for myself. Social, sure, going out with other couples and couples in our families is great but no, this wouldn't work for me and most men I have been involved with wouldn't be entirely comfortable with it either.

It is a good thing that all of our friends and us do not strive to be "typical", we do what we do and don't worry with what others think about the situation. It is in our opinion your loss to limit the people in your lives just because they are male or female and that is not acceptable to society because NO ONE can be friends only with the opposite sex because SEX IS ALWAYS AN ISSUE.......pppppffffffftttttttt that is BS at it's finest.

Again, this is how we live our lives and how our friends live their lives and we are definitely not even remotely close to society's accepted definition of "typical" and we thank God for that every day.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:49 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,071,786 times
Quote:
It is a good thing that all of our friends and us do not strive to be "typical", we do what we do and don't worry with what others think about the situation. It is in our opinion your loss to limit the people in your lives just because they are male or female and that is not acceptable to society because NO ONE can be friends only with the opposite sex because SEX IS ALWAYS AN ISSUE.......pppppffffffftttttttt that is BS at it's finest.

Again, this is how we live our lives and how our friends live their lives and we are definitely not even remotely close to society's accepted definition of "typical" and we thank God for that every day.
Good for you. It is not easy to do things that are not typical.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:48 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,081,336 times
Oh yay this thread again.

Anybody can be friends with anybody. Typically, people don't have a lot of close friends (like 3-4) so for you ladies out there it might seem like most straight men have ulterior motives, but in reality, most of them just aren't going to make the cut anyway.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:55 PM

11,819 posts, read 12,070,293 times
Quote:
So my Brother cannot change my tire because he "might" be seen as my "boyfriend" or the friend who is getting a ride home from me because his vehicle broke down can't change the tire that goes flat on the way home because he isn't my "boyfriend/husband"? It's a good thing I can change my own tire.
I didn't say anything to that effect. The OP obviously has a problem with her opposite sex friends and I don't know if she's sending mixed signals, or if they have secret feelings for her. She needs her tire fixed and means nothing by it. One male friend changes it, no big deal. Another male friend who may have feelings for her, does it, hoping it's winning him brownie points, because her needing something from him must mean she feels a certain way.

It's basically all interpretation and perception. We can't speak to why her male friends think there's something more there, but if she asks a favour and they're expecting something, they have the wrong idea about the friendship, so whose perception is skewed and why.

Last edited by Katnan; 05-30-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 PM

246 posts, read 388,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I tend to agree. Of course there are exceptions as pointed out in many of the posts, but I doubt many people who are in a relationship would be open to their SO being alone as friends with a member of the opposite sex. Things just tend to happen when that happens.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 PM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
I tend to agree. Of course there are exceptions as pointed out in many of the posts, but I doubt many people who are in a relationship would be open to their SO being alone as friends with a member of the opposite sex. Things just tend to happen when that happens.
A close friend's husband stayed at my place several times for a few days each, on his way to and from summer jobs, back when they were students. Nothing happened, nor was there a remote chance it would, and she knew it. That's ridiculous, to say "things just tend to happen". Neither of us was remotely interested in the other that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships