Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times

Advertisements

How lovely. An old (2013) thread resurrected and snob value instantly emerges, again.

I admire anyone who works consistently even if it's what others would obviously refer to as menial labor. So long as they do a good enough job at whatever that they can take pride in, more power to them. Better to work for a living than lounge around for a living and collect benefits others are paying for.

As to the original question, "Yes," I would.

PS. I generally clean the toilets at home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 01:01 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,771,805 times
Anyone who makes $40k after taxes cleaning toilets is a genius. Definitely would date them.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:02 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,711,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
How lovely. An old (2013) thread resurrected and snob value instantly emerges, again.
Yes. The Work/Employment board is also rife with those types of snobbish comments about what other people do for a living, how much money they make, etc. Stay here long enough and you'll find out the same people who make these snobbish comments are not what they claim to be.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:09 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Yes. The Work/Employment board is also rife with those types of snobbish comments about what other people do for a living, how much money they make, etc. Stay here long enough and you'll find out the same people who make these snobbish comments are not what they claim to be.
Oh, gimme a break, the most judgmental person are you right now. The OP asked a question and people have the right to say "NO, I would not."

BTW, OP has not posted for 3 years so she will probably not make any more snobbish comments if that makes your day a little brighter.

Last edited by oh-eve; 02-28-2017 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 04:43 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,875,040 times
I don't like to talk non-stop about work when I'm at home, so the job part wouldn't bother me. He's fine with it and it matches his ambitions? Then he already has a better outlook than many people I know.

It depends on the rest of his personality.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:56 PM

169 posts, read 134,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
The truth about janitors huh? Well, it seems like I'm the only janitor on this thread, so I'll give you my expert, real-life lowdown.

I'm in my 50's and make good money. What's more, I have excellent work benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, 2 pensions provided by my employer, (one state, one municipal) and all the other perks such as vacation, personal days, sick days, workman's comp. etc. All in all, my benefits are better than my professional ex-wife's benefits when she worked at Sprint.

I do clean toilets, dump trash, mop floors but work duties also include operating power equipment such as buffers, snow blowers, floor riders, hydraulic lifts and more. Sometimes the work is involved and somewhat dangerous, other times, it's strictly routine and mundane. No matter the task though, I always work hard and am diligent about doing a good job.

Good responsible janitors are hard to find and can be paid well, as they should be. After all, what is more important than a clean, sanitized and well-maintained building? No matter where people work, don't they all want to work in safe, sanitary surroundings?

As far as intelligence and ambition, most janitors I know are certainly not lacking in either. Please don't stereotype. I have known some "dumb" janitors but I've also known dummies in other fields. Just because someone has an advanced degree and makes a big salary does not make them a fountain of knowledge. My ex-wife had a master's degree and worked in engineering but she couldn't have told you anything about politics, world affairs or the ancient Greeks. Not too many of her peers could either. As far as ambition, my job keeps me fit, healthy and happy and will continue to do so. Sounds like a fine ambition to me. Ambition does not always equate to a pursuit of money, status and power.

Even though it may come as a surprise to some, janitors do marry and even, gasp, have families as well. In my 20 years in the field, I've known many janitors that are happily married to people outside of their occupational sphere. I was married 12 years to a highly educated woman who made three times my salary. We had our differences but she never once looked down on me or expressed embarrassment about having a janitor as a husband.

It may surprise some to know that real love often isn't qualified. It's not always based on "I'll love you if you have a certain level of education, ambition or potential." Some people are actually capable of looking past a person's job and looking at the whole picture.
That kind of explains to me why my mom's relative. I don't know what degree is her relation to them but I was just a kid and from what I heard them talking about this family. They are filthy rich. Like can travel the world kind of rich.

Anyway her mom is a dean in a university or I think even partly owns it. And her daughter to everyone's utter shock eloped with the university's janitor.

Everyone was confused as to why she did it. Because as I was hearing them say she is pretty and smart and filthy rich but chose to elope with the janitor. The bolded quote explains it then, this is back in my country and I honestly don't know if they are still married.

I do know though her mom (my mom's relative) was disappointed and saying the janitor was an opportunist. Typical rich snob reaction. Oh well.

When I was online dating. I don't care about how much money the guy I was dating with are making. I was just looking for a guy who is sincerely showing me they are into me. My husband did. He was a milk delivery guy who lives in a shack. I still married him.

Now, he bought a house and is in a different better paying job. That is only coz his employer lost his delivery client. Pretty sure if he was not laid off, we will still be living in the dump.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,178,096 times
I have a lot of respect for anyone who gets up & goes to work to any job, no matter what it happens to be. There are a lot of lazy, entitled people out there who are perfectly capable of working, and who end up sitting at home on their a$$e$ doing absolutely nothing, while a spouse, parent(s), and/or the government supports them.

Yes, I have dated female maids/janitors in the past. I haven't found women in these professions really any different than other women - other than the fact that they're less snobby & entitled.

Quote:
I knew an attractive women, years ago, who was super picky about the men she dated. She said she would only date someone who made 500K a year. At that point in time, she was already well over the age of 40. Still attractive, but older. So let's get real here. Men in that salary range, (if they aren't married already), are looking for a younger woman than her. She moved to Hawaii, still looking for a rich guy, but she wound up living in a homeless shelter. Now she is well into her 50s and broke, and homeless, with no health insurance. She would probably be better off married to a man who earns 40K as a janitor, it would at least get her out of the shelters.
She sounds like an entitled P.O.S. And, she sounds like a moron as well.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 02-28-2017 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 08:46 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,711,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I have a lot of respect for anyone who gets up & goes to work to any job, no matter what it happens to be. There are a lot of lazy, entitled people out there who are perfectly capable of working, and who end up sitting at home on their a$$e$ doing absolutely nothing, while a spouse, parent(s), and/or the government supports them.

Yes, I have dated female maids/janitors in the past. I haven't found women in these professions really any different than other women - other than the fact that they're less snobby & entitled.

She sounds like an entitled P.O.S. And, she sounds like a moron as well.
She also has no future anymore. I'm glad I didn't go down the gold digging path.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:49 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Keep this info in mind when you answer:

- They intend on doing this fulltime until they retire because it matches their abilities and ambitions.
- They earn approximately $40k per year after taxes.
- They work odd hours.
- They always shower after work so they don't smell.

I am genuinely curious. This is a question for both men and women.
Do you love them?
Do you respect them?
Do you work?
Are you embarrassed by their job?

Old 02-28-2017, 11:29 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,780,146 times
Quote:
She also has no future anymore. I'm glad I didn't go down the gold digging path.
I never understood anybody who went down "the gold digging path" (nice way to put it). You would think it would be out of necessity like staying married for your kids rather than choice. Sadly I think all these women chose to go down this "path". Still find seeing it that way amusing.

As for the original question, truthfully, I don't think I would do it. I've never discriminated against someone for their work but the only people I know who clean toilets for a living are middle aged immigrants (including my dad who used to do it, so you can see why I can't wrap my head around dating someone who cleans toilets).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships